It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: too much fruit?

Your best bet is to be checked out by a professional and get their opinion (a full physical involving all sorts of tests, and make sure they know your story well..preferably with experience in the ED area because they will be able to diagnose you with certainty). You've posted your story on the board previously, and while some people naturally are thin, you clearly have lost weight to get where you are. That's why the 'weight will come with age' thin from Lenin doesn't apply- because this is not a natural state for you, and your body is clearly in trouble..

Old 06-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #32

Jules_13 HB User

Just a little advice / idea. You admit you have at least a slight eating problem which is a start. But underneath if you want to start really living healthy, you know you do, or you still are very much under the influence of the disordered perception to eating. I was there and yes, when you decide to try and get better / eat more regularly, your metabolism is way lower than it should and you might gain a bit (a true test whether mentally you are recovered or need more time) But again, I've been there, it took a long time, but (and for me I was also young twenties) that isn't a time of life to be spending worring about tomatoes making you fat. If you're scared still of gaining weight, find out an average idea of what your daily caloric intake should be, what on average you are at now, and just increase 100-200 every few days until you get there. Also try to get rid of "fat free" try low fat yogurt (the whole baby-steps concept) That might help with the missing cycle issue (also something I had to put up with). But certainly stick with therapy and what not because until you are really ready, any weight gain might set you back mentally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #33
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

It was with interest that I just finished reading this thread beginning to end. There seems to be some consensus that Ankh is underweight for her height. The lack of menses is likely due to her underweight condition but a good physical exam by a medical doctor should rule out any other health problem. The diet described is low in healthy fat, protein and non starchy vegetables. Tuna was mentioned and should be eaten only rarely because of toxic metal contamination. The large amount of sugars in a mostly fruit diet can play havoc with mental processes as blood sugar bounces up and down. Try eating fruit only after eating a protein/good fat meal as dessert. When used as a snack only when eaten with a handful of raw tree nuts or other protein/fat. While there seems to be some concern about weight gain there are some mixed messages there. As long a bulimia is not an issue this seems to have a promising outcome and I would hope her health care professional can suggest a diet based on natural proteins and fats along with vegetables and fruit that will provide enough calories to gain enough weight to promote a normal cycle.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #34
(female)

Ankh HB User

hi again

in response to racehorse:you say my diet is low in non-starchy vegetables?i only eat non-starchy veggies when i eat veggies.
if i have to cut down on tuna and especially fruit,i dont think i'll have a diet anymore,because then i'll seriously have a major weight problem,since i feel that those foods are the foods helping me to maintain my weight.
i have seen a GP,and she didnt mention anything serious about my health(fortunately),this after having done tests and all.....so....basically,what i am trying to say,is that if i have to go on thinking about all the negative aspects of what i already eat(which is little,apparently) then i would be starving myself,since i wont be eating anything.i am trying to recover from an ed(therapist refers to anorexia,but i dont really agree),and at the moment i feel that i would need as much nutrients as i can get,so i dont know....i am confused even more now
but thanks for that good advice

Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Keep eating what you are eating and add whole grains and protein like nuts and seeds and things like potatoes in your diet. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a good protein. I don't think everyone who replied to your post realized that you have an ED. Try not to think about it too much. Like Nike says Just do it.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Tuna doesn't need to be eaten occaisonally because of metal contamination. Studies have shown over and over again that the whole health scare about this went unfounded and that the amount of mercury actually in a can of tuna is very little. Unless you eat a can a day, you don't have to worry about anything. The veggies you eat are fine- all veggies are, starchy or not- they all contain good nutrients and eating a variety of all of them is optimal for good health. I'm not sure what kind of foods you eat, racehorse, but you seem to cross a lot off the list lol..

My advice would be to eat to hunger and eat as healthfully as you can- but don't deprive yourself. There are countless arguments about basically every fod in existance..from tuna to milk to fruits to veggies to anything. You're right- any time that you think about what you eat too much you will end up eating less because EVERYTHING is 'bad' according to somebody else. Just eat what you want, trying to choose healthy foods more often (fruits, veggies, whole grains, low fat dairy and protein, etc) and DO NOT WORRY about every food you take in. If you eat a variety of foods and eat to hunger, you will be healthy and happy.

Last edited by girlygirl11; 06-28-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #37
(female)

kelly92970 HB User
Wink Re: too much fruit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
hey guys,thanks for the replies.

Jessica:1,68m is 5ft5 and 47kg is 103.62 pounds....see..thats not too bad is it?

Girlygirl:no i dont get my period.....thats bad, i know....
well about the bran and fruit thing being the only carbs....that and milk(skim)and fatfree yoghurt?oh and veggies?thats it.....isnt that a lot of carbs though?i do eat a lot of bran(which by the way is starting to freak me out--->i read the sugar content of the kellogs all bran flakes and.....yes....not cool)

i'm sssoo frustrated,cos its 1 in the morning and i really feel like having fruit,but i feel that i shouldnt!

by the way:what is the recommended sugar content a product can have to not be "too much"?
Too much of any one thing is not good. It's called moderation. Here is an article By Dr. Chet Kim that talks about health problems related to eating too much fruit. Health issues will creep up on you as you get older..

<removed>

Good luck!

Last edited by m0d3; 08-19-2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites or copy them!

Closed Thread