It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

Ankh HB User
too much fruit?

hi hi

i am new here,so first of all hello to everyone,hope that you all doing well!

well,my question is: is it really that bad to eat too many fruits?i think i am addicted to fruit!!!to be honest though......most of my daily intake is fruit,then cereal(all bran) and veggies.and for protein i eat fish and milk/yoghurt.i eat a LOT of tomatoes!is this going to make me gain weight?tomatoes,oranges,apples and guavas are the fruit i totally overindulge on!
i know that if you eat normal/are on a normal diet,that fruit can make you pick up weight,but i might be having to gain weigh(1,67m;47kg)

hope you guys can answer my question!

Old 06-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Re: too much fruit?

Depends on how much you eat them. Replacing crap food with vegs/fruits is awesome in itself. But high sugar fruits can cause weight gain if your just constantly eating them. Try and make snack meals. Like 5 times a day, every 2-3 hours have a tomato/or peice of fruit. Even two. Then wait for a few hours and have somthing else.

Just try not to constantly eat, too much of anything can be bad. But your worries are not really anything to worry about..lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
(female)

Ankh HB User

hey wow,cool,thanks for that speedy reply!

i just went out the room and when i came back,voila!

i'm quite curious to know what the other members are going to say .....i have this feeling someone might question my eating habits(probably not balanced enough),but anyway!

have a cool day!

Old 06-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
hi hi

i am new here,so first of all hello to everyone,hope that you all doing well!

well,my question is: is it really that bad to eat too many fruits?i think i am addicted to fruit!!!to be honest though......most of my daily intake is fruit,then cereal(all bran) and veggies.and for protein i eat fish and milk/yoghurt.i eat a LOT of tomatoes!is this going to make me gain weight?tomatoes,oranges,apples and guavas are the fruit i totally overindulge on!
i know that if you eat normal/are on a normal diet,that fruit can make you pick up weight,but i might be having to gain weigh(1,67m;47kg)

hope you guys can answer my question!
Why don't you write down exactly what you eat since you started this diet. Also, your age, height, and your "maintenence" caloric intake. From the sounds of it, it seems as though that you may have just started this diet since you are "unsure" as to whether or not your going to gain weight. I eat about 3-5 servings of fruit a day...more so in the summer cause the fruit tastes great!

Last edited by Jess75; 06-12-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

Ankh HB User

hey jessica.

well,i'll answer your questions.....i am a bit hesistant though,but here goes.

I'm 21,female,1,68m tall and weigh 47kg.
this isnt a "diet" as in something i am following to lose weight,it is what i eat normally and what i enjoy eating.the thing is,i dont want to overdo it and gain a lot of weight,since fruit has lots of fructose in it.i tend to get cravings for fruit at night as well...and that really freaks me out because i am scrared that i'll store it,and yes i know,it depends on how many calories you ate during the day,the time is irrelevant(but the fructose in the fruit????)
I eat all bran cereal,fat free yoghurt,skim milk(a lot),veggies,tuna,salads and obviously fruit.

hmmm....i think i just answered all your questions....

Old 06-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Wow you are really underweight...by a LOT. You diet does seem healthy for the most part, but you most likely are NOT eating enough! Do you get your menstrual period regularly (and are you on the pill?)

There isnt anything wrong with eating a lot of fruit- just make sure you are eating fairly balanced. You meantioned bran- is that they only carb you get (other than fruit)? You should be eating around 2000-2200 Calories per day, and according to your height, you should weigh at least 118lbs (54 kgs) to be minimally healthy.

Fructose has no impact on weight or weight gain- it's basically calories. It's good you know that time is irrelevant, because it really is! As long as you are eating balanced, and ENOUGH, don't worry about anything else (you could use a pound or 10 on you anyways..)

Old 06-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm sorry but could you state your height in the "metric" units. Are you like 5ft1 and i 47kgX2.2 is somewhere around 100 pounds right?

Old 06-13-2005, 03:40 AM   #8
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

If you are 1.68 m and 47kg, you don't really need to lose weight, but you can tone up if you feel it is important.

I don't think you should decrease the amount of fruit you consume if you don't have any weight problems. As you age, you may have to make some changes to your diet, and that may include your fruit consumption. Also if you want to tone up, you may have to eat more lean protein and replace some of your fruits with complex carbs (brown rice, potato, oatmeal, veggies).

Old 06-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

fruits good. i love it. when i was at my worst with my bulimia, fruit is all id eat..like literally 7 apples and 6 pears with 3 bananas all in one sitting because i was literally STARVING. now that im cured, i eat 2-3 peices of fruit per day. im kinda sick of it...lol. apples used to taste so good to me...not nemore. lol.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
(female)

Ankh HB User

hey guys,thanks for the replies.

Jessica:1,68m is 5ft5 and 47kg is 103.62 pounds....see..thats not too bad is it?

Girlygirl:no i dont get my period.....thats bad, i know....
well about the bran and fruit thing being the only carbs....that and milk(skim)and fatfree yoghurt?oh and veggies?thats it.....isnt that a lot of carbs though?i do eat a lot of bran(which by the way is starting to freak me out--->i read the sugar content of the kellogs all bran flakes and.....yes....not cool)

i'm sssoo frustrated,cos its 1 in the morning and i really feel like having fruit,but i feel that i shouldnt!

by the way:what is the recommended sugar content a product can have to not be "too much"?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Yeah not getting your period is really serious, and 5'5 at 100 lbs is really underweigth. Someone of your height should weight closer to 115 at MINIMUM. I also noticed you posted on the eating disorder board... i think your questions are better directed there because not many people here are equipped to provide helpful answers to someone struggling with an ED.

Just a note- there isn't really a recommended or max amt of sugar considered healthy...just less is btter- again, i don't think you should post these kinda of questions though, because you should be focused on recovering and not dieting further!

Old 06-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
(female)

tdot HB User

Ankh,

I calculated your BMI because I saw the discussion here and thought it might help you to know your BMI. Maybe it won't help. if you're grappling with an ED, then it may not be helpful as many individuals with EDs love to know their BMIs and feel very happy/in control when they're BMIs are below normal. But I am presenting this to you non the less hoping that it helps you understand the gravity of the situation. Your BMI calculated with 165 cm and 47 kg is 17.3. The normal range for adults is 18.5-24.9.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:03 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

i was bulimic (now i think im orthorexic), but i am 5'2 and weigh around 105-110 lbs. 100 lbs at 5'5 is extremely low. my lowest point was at 80 at 14 years old and man did i look like crap!

Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyT
i was bulimic (now i think im orthorexic), but i am 5'2 and weigh around 105-110 lbs. 100 lbs at 5'5 is extremely low. my lowest point was at 80 at 14 years old and man did i look like crap!
I'm sorry Sam but what is orthorexic.

And to the Poster, I'm just curious to know if you are in some sort of recovery program? Like Girly said, the "ED" boards are probably better suited for your questions and condition. Getting out your feelings and being able to either relate or educate yourself about other's situations would probably be a big help.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Ankh,
Eat all the fruit you want. I think most of us eat FAR too little.

Closed Thread