It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

jackinthebox73 HB User
wheat

im new to this forum and was curious about the wheat controvesey. what is bad about it?

Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinthebox73
im new to this forum and was curious about the wheat controvesey. what is bad about it?
jack,

As near as I can tell, the controversy is related to so many people having gluten intolerance (wheat is very high in gluten). The theory is that humans have been eating vast quantities of gluten for a relatively short time (a couple thousand years maybe?) and therefore haven't developed the digestive systems to handle 3 meals a day plus snacks of wheat. Wheat used to be one of many grains that were hard to harvest, even after agriculture was developed. Therefore, it was only a small part of a daily diet. Not too long ago, in human terms, varieties of wheat were developed that had lots of kernels per stalk and were much easier to get large harvests from. Then wheat could be used in large quantities in the diet. People who are sensitive to gluten react by developing an auto-immune response, damaging parts of their intestines. The ONLY way to heal the body is to avoid anything with gluten in it.

I have gluten intolerance (self-diagnosed), but I'm rather leary of declaring that therefore everyone else should avoid a particular food that my body doesn't like. If you have problems with gluten, avoid it. If you don't have problems with gluten, then wheat is a wonderful food. Whole grains are better than white flour, which is stripped of most of the good stuff (vitamins, minerals, fiber).

My personal feeling is that the ills of modern society -- diabetes, cancer, auto-immune diseases, etc. -- cannot be blamed on one particular food. We are assaulting our bodies with bazillions of chemicals and eating lots of calorie-rich foods that are stripped of the good stuff (vitamins, minerals, fiber). Some people have weakened immune systems from lots of reasons, and their bodies break down in some form of disease. But I cannot believe that one food is the culprit for everybody.

My two-cents' worth,

Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yup since wheat in this new society is added in pretty much all of the junk food seen in your grocery stores..that is why more and, more people develop the sensitivity to it.. .. anyways im totally against wheat.. it made me sick for as long as I can remember..LOLLL

chow

Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Using the most sophisticated tests available nearly half the population shows antibodies to the proteins found in wheat. This would be and is the most underdiagnosed condition in the US. It is now thought that the most severe form of wheat (gluten) reaction called Celiac Disease has an incidence of 1 in 120. The average time for diagnosis "after" appearance of symptoms is 11 years. Based on the above, everyone should try a gluten free diet for at least two weeks to see if they feel better. A gluten challenge (say a pancake breakfast) can then be helpful in determining if you are the one out of two that should be gluten free.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

Jogaholic HB User

This may not have anything to do with what you were implying with your question, but a lot of people don't know that "wheat" is not the same as "whole wheat". For example, buying wheat bread as opposed to the latter... Whole wheat products are a much better choice for people as they contain the whole grain - plain wheat products go through some sort of processing and I believe they tend to include "enriched wheat flour" which is similar to white flour (someone correct me if I am wrong here). Anywho, the point is that this particular problem that some people are having with wheat may be due to the fact that their "wheat" products are not whole wheat, thus being somewhat refined and processed and losing nutrients.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

the problem in todays world is that everything thats been made by man wether it would be in cans or pretty packages contains wheat..words like spices, seasonings, maltodextrin, flavors, natural & artaficial flavors, evrything..vinegar, stabalizers, etc... so people in genaral dont know that they are eating this stuff in large amounts every single day.. that is why more and, more people are developing this intolarence.. OVERDOSE

Let me tell ya.. ever since iliminating wheat i havent had a headache in the past 17 months..never feel bloated, never diareeha, no more muscle pains..i really feel good..

Old 06-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

rboyette HB User
Talking Re: wheat

Jogaholic is correct on that. A lot of wheat breads actually are enriched flour just take a look on the ingredients. You will even find some breads at the supermarket that says gluten free but just a few you will find. To find true wheat bread look for stone ground. Normally it will be the first words in the ingredients I have already compared this for my dad so I know. That is what the dr. says about wheat bread in the south beach diet. When you get a chance just pick up about 3 different loafs of bread and compare and you will see. I've cut out all types of bread and flour. I feel much better and less bloated, its great.

cheryl

Closed Thread