It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Why I don't drink milk

Why I don't drink pasteurized milk:

1. Pasteurization kills all enzymes. You need the enzymes to break down the nutrients.

2. Milk is linked to allergies, asthma, cancer, anemia and heart disease, to name a few. Read Joseph Mercola's opinion.

3. Skim milk doesn't have butterfat, which contains vital nutrients. Whole milk is linked to heart disease, because it's homogenized.

4. Casein (milk protein) can cause stuffy sinuses and ear infections (that were resistant to treatment, in my case).

5. Louis Pasteur, who invented pasteurization, worked in turn-of-the-century England. There were absolutely no standards of hygiene in that place at that time. Nobody washed their hands or knew about germs. People threw garbage (and OTHER WASTE) out the window to rot right below their windows. Pasteur found that cooked milk didn't cause as much disease as raw milk. He had the right idea but went about it the wrong way!!

6. Raw milk is a wonderful, wholesome food. Too bad it's so hard to find. They're trying to make it illegal. I wish I could find some.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Why I don't drink milk

yup we know this..but, gluten is even worse..iv started drinking soy milk(jess thanks)..also rice milk..and, almond milk..i drink the regular one too, but, not as much.. anyhow.. we live and, learn, i guess, right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Unfortunately, there is a downfall to virtually everything, lol. unpasturized milk products could contain a salmonella strain that is resistant to antibiotics used to treat. Plus other bacteria. So, there are dangers to raw milk according to an article in the New York times. In my opinion, unpasturized milk can pose dangers which gives the reason why the process of pasturization occurs in the first place.
Like Losec says, soy milk (in small amounts), rice, or almond is probably a better choice. Although from time to time I PERSONALLY buy organic cows milk for a change.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-18-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I'm lucky to live in a state that allows the sale of raw milk. The operations that are licensed to sell it are regulated and tested on a continuing basis. They are small farms and are extremely careful because just one case of anything would put them out of business.

I heard reliably that one of the health inspector in the state switched to raw milk because he was so disgusted at the conditions allowed at regular commercial dairies and impressed at the much cleaner conditions at the raw operations.

Last time I looked into things (which is a couple of years ago now), the only cases of problems with raw milk happened from milk that had been obtained illegally where it was not legally available. Where it is legal and regulated, I don't think there have been problems in a long, long time.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

I hate those commercials that claim "One more reason why Milks good for you!". What are they trying to do? Kill a person maybe?

They will say anything to keep the nasty Milk business running and now they claim it helps you lose weight. Do you know how many people will start drinking more milk now. What a way to make more money!

They know that people will do anything to lose weight (especially when Americans are the most obese people in the world).

Cows milk is meant for their offspring...not for Human consumption (thats just common sense)...

Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

Milk, quite simply, is hormone-filled pus.

See if putting it that way doesn't turn off the milk drinker you love.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn36
Milk, quite simply, is hormone-filled pus.

See if putting it that way doesn't turn off the milk drinker you love.
Ewwwwww!!! I like that. I've always thought of it as "liquid plastic" but your description is far more accurate.

Jessicca, you're right about the RISK of salmonella (and other bacteria such as e. coli and listeria), which is why I believe in smaller dairies and stricter standards. I'd rather drink a glass that MIGHT be contaminated than a glass that I KNOW is contaminated (with other varieties of bacteria) and that is essentially "dead food". I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't let them drink pasteurized ******.

Milk is amazing stuff if you leave it alone. It has its own little microcosm of nutrients, digestive enzymes, minerals and vitamins. You pasteurize it, and even baby calves can't digest it (they die).

Old 06-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I love Cow's Milk. I think it is my favorite beverage. I tried to drink soy milk but it taste's nothing like it and it does not taste good to me. It's too sweet. My grandpa loves cows milk and he is 101 years old now and still doing good. I think there is just a bunch of hype against cows milk because the soy people want to make money too. It's funny someone at my work talked about how she has never liked milk and then this study came out against drinking it and she was so happy to hear that. So she said it was not healthy for her anyway. She is a smoker. A bit of a contradiction.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #9
(male)

JoeSG HB User

If natural resources for raw milk is almost unavailable, then why not considering taking supplements for e.g. calcium magnesium. Magnesium will help in the absorption of calcium in our bones & teeth and generally aids in the nerve activities and bowel system. Try to look for products that is 100% natural process. Im sure u will gain optimal health. Unless there's other alternative? ;-) good luck

Old 06-22-2005, 05:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

ah screw it ! milk is good and has lots of calcium and protien...lol

Old 06-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry1
Ewwwwww!!! I like that. I've always thought of it as "liquid plastic" but your description is far more accurate.

Jessicca, you're right about the RISK of salmonella (and other bacteria such as e. coli and listeria), which is why I believe in smaller dairies and stricter standards. I'd rather drink a glass that MIGHT be contaminated than a glass that I KNOW is contaminated (with other varieties of bacteria) and that is essentially "dead food". I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't let them drink pasteurized ******.

Milk is amazing stuff if you leave it alone. It has its own little microcosm of nutrients, digestive enzymes, minerals and vitamins. You pasteurize it, and even baby calves can't digest it (they die).
What about organic milk? THe only problem with that is the pasturization(killing of some essential vitamins). Other than that, organic milk definitely doesn't have puss in it, that's why it's organic, right??? I sure hope lol. yuk

Old 06-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I don't drink any milk. It is loaded with hormones and thickens your mucos. The calcium content in milk is not readily absorbed into the body. Many other foods with calcium are absorbed really well. Also, my daughters are actually unable to digest it without horrible stomach cramps. I think its gross personally. I dont see how nature wants us to drink milk from a cow, as it is for----baby cows! lol

When my daughter was in day care, they had a rule at lunch about finishing all their milk. I told them I didnt want my daughter to have to drink it all, that she had some issues with it and shouldnt be forced to drink it. They told me that the government regulations for lunch required that children finish their milk, to get nutrients they may miss from not eating well at lunch time.

I used the whole "she's allergic" card and they had to exclude her from the rule. They did ask me how they could not make her do it yet make all the other kids do it. I told them it wasnt my problem and they could figure out how to explain it to the rest of the kids. Case closed. ugh.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryb
It is loaded with hormones and thickens your mucos.
In many places there is dairy available that has not been raised with added hormones. And if cows are raised under proper conditions, they don't excrete mucos at the udders either.

Quote:
The calcium content in milk is not readily absorbed into the body. Many other foods with calcium are absorbed really well.
My understanding is that the absorption from whole, raw milk is really not too bad, as these things go. Though, I agree a larger percentage is absorbed from many vegetable sources.

Quote:
I dont see how nature wants us to drink milk from a cow, as it is for----baby cows! lol
I've seen similar lines thrown around a lot, and must admit I don't quite get it, as it can be said for so many foods. "I dont see how nature wants us to eat soybeans from a soybean plant, as it is for----growing new soybean plants!", etc.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

^ LOL that soybean analogy cracked me up!

Although I see your point, I dont think you could really compare plants and animals. Animals and humans have different bodies...Our bodies handle different things. Some people dont take to dairy very well (if they have allergies or if they are lactose Intolerant).

Old 06-23-2005, 06:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xismybaby
Our bodies handle different things. Some people dont take to dairy very well (if they have allergies or if they are lactose Intolerant).
I've never seen figures, but I would be willing to wager that plant products cause more allergies in humans than animal products.

Last edited by auntjudyg; 06-23-2005 at 06:33 AM.

Closed Thread