It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Sugarfree Red Bull

I think I've become addicted to sugarfree redbull and it's VERY, VERY bad. It has more caffeine than coffee (by far) and has aspartame, of course. Today was one of the first days in 2 weeks that I haven't had one, and around 3pm I became extremely tired, had a headache, and my sugar cravings went through the roof! Is that normal for caffeine withdraw? Or am I just tired? All I wanted was chocolate/candy!! I am not going to be drinking those anymore...Has anyone else had this experience with Red Bull?

Also, I wanted to get your opinion on my day today:
Breakfast- Luna Bar (180 cals), Nonfat latte (160)
Lunch- Healthmex Chicken salad from Rubios mexican grill (250) with added black beans and 1 oz guacamole and 5 chips
Snack-4 gummy worms, Large Fuji apple (80?), 4 ginger bears (45)
Dinner/Big snack- large frozen yogurt, 6 chocolate almonds and a bite of a reeses pb cup <---sugar craving!!!

I didn't exercise today, but I ran 5 miles yesterday. I usually only run about 3, but got new running shoes the other day and decided to start upping it.

Have I overeaten so far today? Should I get to the gym!??! What do you think about the Red Bull???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Sugarfree Red Bull

Like I've said many times, you really have NOT overeaten today, or any other day you posted! You probably feel that way because you ate a bunch of little (low cal) snacks rather than a large meal, but you really haven't ever eaten over even like 2000 Cals, which you SHOULD be eating! Your day is still very light for someone of your height, age and weight especially..

The sugar free redbull isn't a good thing to get addicted to.. the aspartame isn't exactly nutritious, and the guarine and other ingredients are good for your system either. Try eating more regularly and more nutritiously (and more in general!!) to get your energy up. In addition, you really don't have to exercise as much as you think. Sure, it's beneficial, but don't do it to burn off what you ate..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I am hearing SOOO much about Red Bull lately I HAVE to get out and buy myself one. I am DYING of curiosity. BTW I am a confirmed caffeine addict...1/3 gallon of strong coffee a day ( and I've cut BACK from 1/2 gallon! )

Last edited by Lenin; 06-19-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Lenin- althought you like caffeine, you may not like redbull..it's a really sweet flavour (the original is, never tried the sugar free..), kinda tasting like liquid candy. You may like some other caffeinated energy drinks, especially the sarbucks double shot espresso flavoured one, that isn't so sweet..

Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I won't pay Starbucks prices, girlygirl.

Thanks for the sweetness warning on the RedBull...sounds ghastly!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I am hearing SOOO much about Red Bull lately I HAVE to get out and buy myself one. I am DYING of curiosity. BTW I am a confirmed caffeine addict...1/3 gallon of strong coffee a day ( and I've cut BACK from 1/2 gallon! )
Woahhh....You can get a whole in your stomach from that (ulcer!!!)...I don't think you should go out an get a Red Bull ...You might get addicted to that too!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
I think I've become addicted to sugarfree redbull and it's VERY, VERY bad. It has more caffeine than coffee (by far) and has aspartame, of course. Today was one of the first days in 2 weeks that I haven't had one, and around 3pm I became extremely tired, had a headache, and my sugar cravings went through the roof! Is that normal for caffeine withdraw? Or am I just tired? All I wanted was chocolate/candy!! I am not going to be drinking those anymore...Has anyone else had this experience with Red Bull?

Also, I wanted to get your opinion on my day today:
Breakfast- Luna Bar (180 cals), Nonfat latte (160)
Lunch- Healthmex Chicken salad from Rubios mexican grill (250) with added black beans and 1 oz guacamole and 5 chips
Snack-4 gummy worms, Large Fuji apple (80?), 4 ginger bears (45)
Dinner/Big snack- large frozen yogurt, 6 chocolate almonds and a bite of a reeses pb cup <---sugar craving!!!

I didn't exercise today, but I ran 5 miles yesterday. I usually only run about 3, but got new running shoes the other day and decided to start upping it.

Have I overeaten so far today? Should I get to the gym!??! What do you think about the Red Bull???
I have never tried Red Bull, but I heard it was disgusting. You obviously love it though and your right, its not a good thing.

I know that if I have sweets one day, I will want them the next day and the day after that and so on. But when I dont have sweets (i'm trying to not eat any) one day, the next day I dont want them and so on.

What I'm trying to say is get some willpower and go a day without drinking Red Bull or eating any sweets, then go another day and see how you feel the third day (it might take you a little longer because you are addicted to Red Bull). Once you stop eating the sweets, you most likely wont want them anymore (or not as much).

Get off of that Red Bull because its just doing you more harm.

Good Luck!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Lenin- Honestly, red bull is not something you are missing out on. A) it has a very unique taste that you have to acquire, B) it has wayyy too much caffeine and, C) if you won't pay Starbux prices, you CERTAINLY won't pay red bull prices...it's SO expensive!!!!

I am so happy that I have decided to give it up. I am still drinking coffee and the occasional soda, but no more of this liquid speed.

About the sweets, xismybaby, you are right. If I have sweets one day, I find my cravings increase the next day, too. It's like a cycle! I also crave sweets and carbs more when I am lonely or upset. When I walk into the kitchen and decide I want to eat chocolate, or cookies, or something "bad", what should I do or say to myself to not do it!??! Any suggestions????

Old 06-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Lenin- Honestly, red bull is not something you are missing out on. A) it has a very unique taste that you have to acquire, B) it has wayyy too much caffeine and, C) if you won't pay Starbux prices, you CERTAINLY won't pay red bull prices...it's SO expensive!!!!

I am so happy that I have decided to give it up. I am still drinking coffee and the occasional soda, but no more of this liquid speed.

About the sweets, xismybaby, you are right. If I have sweets one day, I find my cravings increase the next day, too. It's like a cycle! I also crave sweets and carbs more when I am lonely or upset. When I walk into the kitchen and decide I want to eat chocolate, or cookies, or something "bad", what should I do or say to myself to not do it!??! Any suggestions????
If you are worried about your weight just think " if I eat this its going to make me feel gross afterward and then I'm gonna be sorry that I ate it"..." Its going to be even harder for me to look good if I eat that"...

I do it for my skin so i just think "I'm not eating this because its not worth another pimple or I just think about how upset I get when my skin looks like crap".

Also If you are craving something, try to get out of the kitchen and go for a walk, read a book or magazine (with people who have amazing bodies), play with your animals (if you have any), play with your kids (if you have any), go out with your friends. Then if its after 8 o' clock "tell yourself that you dont eat after 8" which you shouldnt anyway.

Hope this helps

Old 07-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xismybaby
If you are worried about your weight just think " if I eat this its going to make me feel gross afterward and then I'm gonna be sorry that I ate it"..." Its going to be even harder for me to look good if I eat that"...

I do it for my skin so i just think "I'm not eating this because its not worth another pimple or I just think about how upset I get when my skin looks like crap".

Also If you are craving something, try to get out of the kitchen and go for a walk, read a book or magazine (with people who have amazing bodies), play with your animals (if you have any), play with your kids (if you have any), go out with your friends. Then if its after 8 o' clock "tell yourself that you dont eat after 8" which you shouldnt anyway.

Hope this helps
Much of this is sound advice. There is another point however, sugar free mean artificial sweeteners and while I don't know which one is in Red Bull, I do know there are NO good ones (perhaps Stevia) but it is not used in any commericial products. There is substantial detriment involved in ALL artificial sweeteners and several studies show they do nothing for weight loss.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
Much of this is sound advice. There is another point however, sugar free mean artificial sweeteners and while I don't know which one is in Red Bull, I do know there are NO good ones (perhaps Stevia) but it is not used in any commericial products. There is substantial detriment involved in ALL artificial sweeteners and several studies show they do nothing for weight loss.

Very true

Old 07-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

This is a list of the chemicals use to create splenda

1. sucrose, trityl chloride, dimethylformamide and 4-methylmorpholine, tritylated acetic anhydride, TRISPA (6,1',6'-tri-O-trityl-penta-O-acetylsucrose), hydrogen chloride, toluene, 4-PAS (sucrose 2,3,4,3',4'-pentaacetate) methyl isobutyl ketone and acetic acid, 6-PAS (sucrose 2,3,6,3',4'-pentaacetate) thionyl chloride, toluene, benzyltriethylammoniumchloride, TOSPA (sucralose pentaacetate) methanol, sodium methoxide

Yummy huh?

Closed Thread