It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
To Lenin, about Kefir

Lenin,

How can I be sure I get good Kefir? Is there such a thing as Kefir that is not as good as the older variety?
How did you know that your Kefir came from very old stock?

Old 06-19-2005, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: To Lenin, about Kefir

Stumper...only grains can make more grains, hence ALL kefir comes from old stock! If you are drinking kefir it's the same strain that Mohammed drank.

I can't remember the name of the most common brand sold in the Health food stores, but it is QUITE delicious, if not quite as "wild" tasting as homemade. I'm curious to hear your comments after first tasting it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I drink kefir! It tastes pretty good, and I know that it's good for ya.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Stumper...only grains can make more grains, hence ALL kefir comes from old stock! If you are drinking kefir it's the same strain that Mohammed drank.

I can't remember the name of the most common brand sold in the Health food stores, but it is QUITE delicious, if not quite as "wild" tasting as homemade. I'm curious to hear your comments after first tasting it.

Lenin, hopefully I can find some in another health food store. I checked Saturday and they never heard of it. They did have a probiotic drink of some sort but it was not Kefir.

Anyway , you have answered my question quite well above. There is no such thing as a false Kefir as any Kefir has to come from old stock makes sense.

What I find fascinating is that it lasts forever. AND it produces all those great B-Vites , minerals and Bacteria. It is astonishing to say the least.

If you were to decide to take a Kefir break for awhile...say 1-2 months or so, if I understand it correctly you can place the grains in water and they will keep.
Is that correct?

Old 06-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

The lady at my health food store said "Make sure you buy HELIOS brand, it's the best." She also said buy it plain, not sweetened or flavored. I tried some and it's definitely an acquired taste, so I blended in some fresh fruit and it was quite good!

I would avoid that fakey-yogurty "health drink" stuff that's supposed to be nutritious. I'm sure it has some good stuff IN it somewhere, along with the additives and sugars. To get the REAL stuff, you have to buy it in a health food store, I'm afraid.

We're going to have to get the word out about kefir, too, because not enough people have heard of it. It's apparently much better for you than even yogurt. And for those of us who can't drink regular milk, it's a perfect substitute and much healthier.

Old 06-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Lenin,

These starter kits that you can buy....they will take a few uses to get it working well? Probably due to the dried grains, but otherwise once it is working well it should be fine?

I think Dom has some, and it certainly might be worth my effort to try to get a starter from him.

I was trying to locate a grain sharing group in Ohio but so far no luck. Certainly one might exist somewhere. Have to keep checking. I want some of this stuff BAD. It makes me feel like I am on the movie the "The last Crusade". I will get it one way or another.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Lenin,

I am also discovering (correct me if I'm wrong) that some of the commercial starter kits, although they are taken from Kefir are not as good. They look to be taken from just a few microbes of true Kefir grains and look to be suseptabel to viruses over time. They also do not contain "yeasts" like in traditional Kefir.
If this is the case then I have to get the traditional grains and avoid commercial starter kits. Does this sound correct to you? Or am I not seeing something correctly?

Old 06-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Stump,
STARTER KITS:
A waste of money. Most have a powder that has SOME living, dried probiotics, but they will only work ONCE...it's even more expensive than buying the pre-made at the health food store. A ripoff really, but the catch a lot of the unsuspecting newbies.

THAT'S THE BRAND: Helios...all decent Health Food stores carry it, thanks for joging my memory, kerry. It's delicious and if it were a DOLLAR a quart, I;d buy rather than make!

Yes 2 months in the fridge in water is about the limit for the grains...one is wiser. I did 7 weeks and it came back but there were several wonky batches at first.
Over 2 months, you must FREEZE or DRY the grains, lest they starve to death. I have several batches in the freezer for up to 5 years (under powdered milk in tight jars.) I SHOULD try one and see if it reconstitutes. I think even Dominic might value that information.

I make my kefir for exactly $2.15 a gallon (for the 2%) and $2.49 a gallon for the Whole Milk...which tastes better but has more butterfat...arteries, but it's SOOO creamy and easier to make actually, the bugs seem to like the fat! Skim is a DISASTER, tart and separated!

Jessica,
Do you make your own?

Last edited by Lenin; 06-20-2005 at 06:48 AM.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Lenin,

Thanks much for info and help. I will avoid commercil starters and get the real thing from someone who has it. In the meantime I will search diligently for the Helios. I will get no other!
IF I could only get it for $1.00 a quart as you say...but yet there is something about those grains that is very intruiging to say the least.

I gotta have some!

Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

If you can't find Helios, buy whatever they sell, just DON'T buy a flavored kefir for your first outing. The sweet goo hides the true character of kefir.

Quick, get to a Natural Foods! Or Garden of Eden (or is that only Manhattan?)

Old 06-21-2005, 06:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

haha dumb question///what is kefir?

Old 06-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyT
haha dumb question///what is kefir?
It is a probiotic drink that tastes like a liquid yogurt. Well, if you get the flavored kind. It has these friendly bacteria in it that is supposed to support a healthy intestinal track, similar to yogurt, but you could drink it and it has MUCH more of the friendly bacteria. May be a good idea from your other condition. You could get it (well I seen it) at giant eagle, or any health food store.
I know bacteria may sound gross and all, but actually, there are some of those "good" bacteria that actually fight the "bad" bacteria. We have bacteria( one of our natural defense systems called our Normal Flora) all over our body to protect us from the "bad" guys!

Last edited by Jess75; 06-21-2005 at 07:25 AM.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
If you can't find Helios, buy whatever they sell, just DON'T buy a flavored kefir for your first outing. The sweet goo hides the true character of kefir.

Quick, get to a Natural Foods! Or Garden of Eden (or is that only Manhattan?)

I fopund a place that is supposed to hve it according to an internet search. I need to contact them and will find out.

Speaking on Manhattan, I was there about 1 1/2 years ago and picked up a cruise ship there. Really cool. Went out through the Harbor and saw the Statue of Liberty (Quite small actually). Really a busy place. New York cab drivers DO know how to drive. A few beeps and everyone pulls ahead 20 feet or so

I carried a knife with me too! AND avoided any unfamilar places.

Closed Thread