It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User
Help for my 10 year old Daughter

Hello all
Well i have a 10 year old little girl that means the world to me but....... She weighs about 147 and is only about 4 feet tall.. She is very active plays soft ball runs around she has asthma so i try to watch her activity.. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what i can do to help her loose some weight.. I have her eating healthier but.. that still not helping.. It just breaks my heart to see other kids looking at her and adults looking at her like the fat little girl... I'm not a violent person but..... let me tell you when an adult will say something i let it be known i heard and she is like the sweetest person to people and it just drives me up the wall to see people treat her like an outcast.. I have always been thin , i have a 13 year old son that has a nice built not to thin and not heavy..
I am at my wits end ... We went out to get her a bathing suit and of course we have to go to the ladies dept and nothing fits her right so she will wear a shirt over it.. Now she's getting to the point i watch her and she tries to hold in her belly and gets real sad looking.. Well she started a camp this morning with a pool and play ground so i'm hoping this will work.. I just wish people would look at her like a reg girl not an over weight child... She's so beautiful blonde hair blue eyes but those eyes been filled with tears lately and breaking a mommy's heart..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Help for my 10 year old Daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST 4 YEARS
Hello all
Well i have a 10 year old little girl that means the world to me but....... She weighs about 147 and is only about 4 feet tall.. She is very active plays soft ball runs around she has asthma so i try to watch her activity.. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what i can do to help her loose some weight.. I have her eating healthier but.. that still not helping.. It just breaks my heart to see other kids looking at her and adults looking at her like the fat little girl... I'm not a violent person but..... let me tell you when an adult will say something i let it be known i heard and she is like the sweetest person to people and it just drives me up the wall to see people treat her like an outcast.. I have always been thin , i have a 13 year old son that has a nice built not to thin and not heavy..
I am at my wits end ... We went out to get her a bathing suit and of course we have to go to the ladies dept and nothing fits her right so she will wear a shirt over it.. Now she's getting to the point i watch her and she tries to hold in her belly and gets real sad looking.. Well she started a camp this morning with a pool and play ground so i'm hoping this will work.. I just wish people would look at her like a reg girl not an over weight child... She's so beautiful blonde hair blue eyes but those eyes been filled with tears lately and breaking a mommy's heart..
If I were you, I would inform her about the consequenses of obesity such as High blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

Secondly, be a good role model(if you aren't already).

I would talk to her doctor about a suitable diet since some parents tend to get TOO restrictive with their child which can result in a child wanting to eat more(possibly retaliation).

I wouldn't totally restrict all sweets, maybe 2-3 times a week to start if the rest of the diet is healthy/moderate fat and she if she increased her activity.

Maybe you could encourage the family to engage in more activities such as swimming, bike riding, walking, etc.

I wouldn't buy that many sweets, very little. Just some things that I would do.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jozi209 HB User

what does she eat? does she eat junk food (how does she get it) or does she just eat huge portions of breakfast/lunch/dinner? what are her breakfasts/lunches/dinners like? how do you and the rest of your family approach exercise/healthy eating? i think that exercise is a must for a child (sounds like she's already doing it) however i believe eating well is about 80-90% of maintaining a healthy weight.

i like the idea of doing family activities. i can't give you my opinion on her food since i don't know what she is eating now. i don't believe in sweets (skinny or not), so if you feel she does need sweets, what i would do is cut fruit out of her diet and use it as desert (a little fruit, plain yogurt, cinnamon or a smoothie). its a great way to appreciate fruit and stop cavaties as well (sugar from fruit can cause cavaties b/c of the heightened proponents in saliva after eating it). she can have something like that every day. i would cut out all soda/fast food if she is drinking/eating any.

i also don't know if i agree with explaining to her the risks of obesity. it may have a reverse effect and just make her feel guilty for her size and scared of becoming heavier b/c of all the risks. i do not think i would want my child to go through that fear, simply b/c children's imaginations can run away with things. maybe positively emphasize good health behaviours instead.

have you considered seeing a child nutritionist? i think they should be at almost every hospital.

keep us posted, good luck

Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jozi209 HB User

also once you set up a healthy eating plan, you can make a chart for her with stickers. post it on the fridge, she can get a sticker each day for eating well and a sticker for exercise. do not reward a specific amount of weight loss (this may lead to unhealthy habits or eating disorders at worst), but reward her for positive changes. so if she goes a week with 14 stickers, get her a little treat or take her to a movie or whatever you set up. so involve her in the process, get a structured plan (maybe write a little contract or something outlining exercise (at least 30 min/day), what her food intake should look like, and maybe that she can have 1 cheat meal/week or whatever). hope this helps!

Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I saw something like your story on "House M.D." The little girl absolutely couldn't lose weight and she wasn't growing taller. She had some mystery disease that they found out about and cured at the end of the show, of course.

Anyway, you said she's active and you are feeding her healthy food. It sounds like there's something more going on than dietary problems. All I can say is be extremely aggressive in finding out WHY she is this way.......

Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

check for any type of diseases or problems such as underactive thyroid, diabetes..etc

Last edited by xismybaby; 06-21-2005 at 07:56 PM.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

I was overweight as a child, which probably drives me to love nutrition and working out as I do now. When I was 10 years old, I was about 4 ft 10 and 142 pounds. I am now 5ft5 and 114. I was very active when I was 10 years old, I just ate very poorly, eating big macs, large fries and large cokes, some things like those that i would never eat now. Just include a lot of whole grains, fruits and veggies in your daughter's diet. Make simple changes, if your daughter likes ice cream, get lower calorie ice cream, if she likes pudding, get sugar free pudding. Tell your daughter, and be a role model to her about good nutrition. Maybe you and her could take walks together, and it could be a nice little routine/bonding experience for you two? When you talk with her about her weight/ health habits, do NOT make her feel insecure about herself. Puberty will probably be coming soon, and thats when I started to feel really insecure because I was heavier than most of my friends. Hope this helps
-Mags

Old 06-24-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

Hello Mags Thank you for telling about u being an over weight child.. I've been sending her now with real healthy food.. She's always real active, so thats why i really don'
t understand why the weight just not falling off of her.. I mean don't get me wrong she will eat some of the wrong foods but for the most part she does eat good.. but alot.. Well like u suggested we have been going for a walk everynight since Monday and making a world of difference just between her and I . She knows were doing it for her weight.. I never ever say anything negitive about her weight.. I just try to explain to her that she's different then some other kids.. I know she's in danger if she keeps up the weight problem thats why i'm tring to kick it in the butt now.. It's just hard when other children are eating junk and she looks at them and then i feel like a bad mommie for not letting her have them.. but we did find some low fat fudge pops that she really does like..I think her weight problem for me just breaks my heart to see other children not wanting to play with her and looking at her now she's getting to the point she don't even wanna go outside to play.. But ty to all who replied i will keep you guys updated.. also if anyone has any low calorie sweets suggested plz let me know she is 10 and does want some sweets..lol take care Kim

Old 06-24-2005, 07:11 AM   #9
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

Maybe you could take some low sugar/calorie yogurt and blend it with fruit and milk to make a nutritious smoothie?
I like the jello sugar free puddings, only 60 calories, frozen yogurt is good too, and so are the fruit and yogurt parfaits from mc donalds. If she likes chocolate, Milky Way has a light version of the bar. I'm sure you can research the internet for lower calorie cakes, cookies, etc!

Old 06-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

Hello again...lol TY for replying so quikly.. I forgot about those McDonald treats i really think she would like that.. The smootie idea is really good to thankyou.. I beleive you can relate to how my daughter feels being u walked in her shoe's at one time in your life... So when u were younger did u go on a diet also? I just look at her and try to imagine what she would look like if she took of some of her weight.. I do beleive she will be big all her life she's very broad with the shoulders like her Dad.. But just to loose atleast 20 pounds i think would make a world of difference in her mood and outlook.. I guess it's me just being a mom but when it comes to your kids it's just heartbreaking.. I love her to death and she is soooo sweet to people if when there mean to her..

Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

I lost about twenty pounds on my own in 6th grade when I started to get interested in nutrition. The whole idea of calories and excercise fascinated me!

Old 06-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

Well she's going into the 5th grade so i really hope she can go back to school with alittle less weight.. She seems like she really wants to do it at times then she acts like she don't.. As long as i can make her luches and know what she's eating i think she can do it i pray that she does..

Old 06-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

It sounds like you are doing the right thing diet and nutrition -wise, but based on your description of her being so active, and yet overweight, I really hope that you might be able to get her to a physician to be tested and see if there might be some kind of other underlying condition causing her situation.

A few others here have mentioned it, but I haven't heard if you've had her tested for any thyroid conditions, etc. Good luck.

wb

Closed Thread