It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User
Please analyze my diet and tell me what you think

This is what I ate yesterday:

5 am: Breakfast
-2 oatmeal packets with one packet splenda and three tablespoons of flax seeds ( 370 cal)
-one low carb/low sugar vanilla yogurt ( 80 cal)
- One red deilcious apple (90 cal)
-coffee ( 30 cal)

11 am: lunch
- two tablespoons of natural pb on 100% whole wheat light bread (260 cal)
-apple (90 cal)
yogurt ( 80 cal)
- one whole wheat matzo (90 cal) w/ two pieces fat free swiss cheese ( 30 each)

3 pm snack: Vanillia protein shake (100) with an apple (90) I sometimes have an 80 calorie yogurt in place of the apple.

5 pm: dinner ( out to eat at chinese place)
-Steamed veggies, no oil/sauce, large portion (200 cal)
-Steamed veggie dumplings no oil/sauce(300 cal)

Does this seem okay? I am an active 18 year old girl, 5'5, 114 pounds.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User
Re: Please analyze my diet and tell me what you think

sounds good to me

Also your choice of food at the chinese restaurant was a good one. Its hard to find healthy food at a chinese restaurant but Steamed Veggies was probably the healthiest and best choice.

I hope you are drinking alot of water throughout the day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

Breakfast: Replace the artificial oatmeal sold in packets with real, old-fashioned oatmeal. Lose the Splenda, there's some controversy regarding its safety. Also, you need a small amount of protein with each meal; it will help keep the weight off, too. Why not add a SMALL amt. of chopped walnuts to the oatmeal? It is loaded with the GOOD kind of unsaturated fat, the same omega 3s in those flax seeds.

Lunch: Good.

Dinner: Where is the protein? Also, keep in mind the idea is not to avoid ALL fats; you've got to have some (unsaturated) fat in your diet to be healthy.

So avoid whole milk, butter, ice cream, palm oil or cottonseed oil and most packaged dessert items like cakes and pastries but DO eat peanut butter, nuts (in limited qty), olive oil, canola oil, lean meats without the skin.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn36
Breakfast: Replace the artificial oatmeal sold in packets with real, old-fashioned oatmeal. Lose the Splenda, there's some controversy regarding its safety. Also, you need a small amount of protein with each meal; it will help keep the weight off, too. Why not add a SMALL amt. of chopped walnuts to the oatmeal? It is loaded with the GOOD kind of unsaturated fat, the same omega 3s in those flax seeds.

Lunch: Good.

Dinner: Where is the protein? Also, keep in mind the idea is not to avoid ALL fats; you've got to have some (unsaturated) fat in your diet to be healthy.

So avoid whole milk, butter, ice cream, palm oil or cottonseed oil and most packaged dessert items like cakes and pastries but DO eat peanut butter, nuts (in limited qty), olive oil, canola oil, lean meats without the skin.
Good info. Dawn

I actually should have mentioned the real oatmeal (put a banana in there instead of splenda...this will give it that sweeter flavor you are looking for).

I also agree with the protein...I think she should lose the Vanilla protein shake and replace it with natural foods that provide alot of protein..such as tofu, peanut butter, veggies, nuts, soymilk..( i dont eat meat so I'm not going to recommend it because I dont think its healthy)..Instead of the Vanilla shake, drink a glass of Soymilk or Ricemilk.

Other than that I still think it sounds good

Old 06-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

Okay, thanks. The yogurt I eat has 12 g protein per serving. I am vegetarian as well. Sometimes I like the protein shake in the afternoon as a little boost. I drink soymilk and I love it, but it doesnt have as much protein as the shake. About real oatmeal vs. instant : What is the difference? I like instant, because it is easy and convenient to make at 5 am before I go to the gym. I am curious to find out because I heard that old fashioned is better.
-Mags

Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Although Dawn's info is good, keep in mind that you are already at a fairly low weight for your height, and don't need to worry about 'keeping the weight off'..

Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

If you read the ingredients on the packaged oatmeal, then compare it to the real oatmeal, you can see there are a lot of artificial ingredients and preservatives in the former that you don't need. Also, real oatmeal i believe has more fiber in it.

Yeah, i guess i agree with the nixing of the protein shake, too, Anytime you drink fruit juices or liquid, as opposed to the fruits or vegetables they're replacing, you're once again losing the fiber, and colon cancer is a leading cancer.

Good luck; it was a good question and interesting to analyze!

Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Not much variety. You need more of a variety of fruits as well as veggies. Why the 2 packets of oatmeal? 1 packet should be ok. Also, why the protein shake unless you're planning on being a lady weight lifter? I'd eat eggs instead of the protein shake. Eggs are good for you. You're only 18, right? Then you should have no problem with eggs. How about some organes, grapes, strawberries, watermellon, etc. Good choice with the Chinese restaurant, but I wouldn't eat that stuff everyday unless I make it myself. You've got enought fat in your diet, so you don't really need to worry about that. Just more variety.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

i am CRAZY for oatmeal so I love the two packets.. one packet also has 20% calcium in it.. i guess I will try the one packet. I like the protein shake beause i do strength train, and since I am vegetarian, I worry I am not getting enough protein. Thanks guys!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I don't think you need to cut down to one packet. If I was in the mood for oatmeal I would definately have 2, and I would also have yougurt, tea and fruit to go alongside it. Some people cannot handle a lot in the morning, that's why they may suggest to cut down to one. Personally, I think that one is too little given the amount you get.. and you aren't looking to lose weight either, so why should you cut down to one (unless you WANT to)?

The protein shake isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if youre rushed or trying to get in more protein quickly. You could also try cottage cheese, cheese, (if you allow dairy), soy chips, soy nuts, regular nuts, peanut butter, eggs, etc.

The chinese restaurant was light, but probably really filling..you could try next time ordering a tofu stirfry if they have it..Ive seen it at most places)..and don't have a huge portion. That would help with the protein as well.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:52 AM   #11
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

Dawn- Well today I tried the slow cooked oatmeal with 2 tbsp natural pb on it. I was suprised, it actually wasnt that bad at all, i liked it. I usually ate the regular instant oatmeal, as you know, but I was comparing the nutrition facts from the instant to slow cooked, and the instant oatmeal has so much more nutrients, so would it really be that bad If i continue to eat the instant? I do think I easily could get used to the slow cooked kind. Its funny, I switched to natural creamy peanut butter for a few days, and then I had regular jif creamy yesterday, and it tasted so disgusting! I can't believe I used to eat the processed PBs!

Old 06-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia29
Dawn- Well today I tried the slow cooked oatmeal with 2 tbsp natural pb on it. I was suprised, it actually wasnt that bad at all, i liked it. I usually ate the regular instant oatmeal, as you know, but I was comparing the nutrition facts from the instant to slow cooked, and the instant oatmeal has so much more nutrients, so would it really be that bad If i continue to eat the instant? I do think I easily could get used to the slow cooked kind. Its funny, I switched to natural creamy peanut butter for a few days, and then I had regular jif creamy yesterday, and it tasted so disgusting! I can't believe I used to eat the processed PBs!
I eat the Kashi oatmeal that has more nutrients. Even though it has more sugar, it's not TOO Much (cinnamon kind) and by the time you dress up your own plain oatmeal, it usually equals the same. The Kashi kind is SOO good, i can't eat any other kind.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

I have the kashi oatmeal, but I dont like it. Sweet foods with sugar make me feel sick.. i LOVE plain oatmeal though

Closed Thread