It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User
Too much fiber?

I can not get enough of fiber rich foods. I live for whole wheat bread, oatmeal, apples,veggies, and flax. I seem to crave anything that is very high in fiber. I tallied up my fiber grams one day and it was close to 50 grams. I sometimes get stomach aches, and was wondering if it was because of the large amount of fiber that I eat. Can too much fiber be bad for you?

Old 06-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Too much fiber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia29
I can not get enough of fiber rich foods. I live for whole wheat bread, oatmeal, apples,veggies, and flax. I seem to crave anything that is very high in fiber. I tallied up my fiber grams one day and it was close to 50 grams. I sometimes get stomach aches, and was wondering if it was because of the large amount of fiber that I eat. Can too much fiber be bad for you?
Yes, too much could cause watery stools and gas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 04:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Magnolia,

I wish I COULD get 50 grams of fiber (primarily soluble) from my food every day. I think our hunter-gatherer ancestors often got MANY times that amount.
Fiber is good for maintaining the health of the intestines and proper bowel function while speeding up the passage of foods so they don't have time to putrefy.

I think you shouldn't give it another thought; eat all you want.

The only proviso I found is that people shouldn't get ALL their fiber from grains...not usually a problem for most people. I find I get most of my fiber from daily legumes...like split peas and black bean soup.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-25-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Magnolia,

I wish I COULD get 50 grams of fiber (primarily soluble) from my food every day. I think our hunter-gatherer ancestors often got MANY times that amount.
Fiber is good for maintaining the health of the intestines and proper bowel function while speeding up the passage of foods so they don't have time to putrefy.

I think you shouldn't give it another thought; eat all you want.

The only proviso I found is that people shouldn't get ALL their fiber from grains...not usually a problem for most people. I find I get most of my fiber from daily legumes...like split peas and black bean soup.
Lenin, I have a question that i posted in another thread about fiber. WHen I'm adding up my daily count, do I add both the insoluble AND soluble

My benefiber has 3gr of soluble and 3g of insoluble per serving. Does that mean that I get a WHOLE 6 gr(within the recommended amount, 20-25 grams)? It says on the bottle that i can take up to 3 tablespoons 3 times a day. Wouldn't that equal to near 50 grams?? THanks

Last edited by Jess75; 06-25-2005 at 07:59 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jessica,

I think that's a fair way to do it, count both. Insoluble fber passes through our guts essentailly unchanges...think sawdust , celery strands, poppy seeds, corn coverings, and the like...pretty much made of mainly cellulose. They contribute to fecal mass but not a huge amount.

Then there's the soluble fibers like pectins, psyllium, methylcellulose (manmade) that suck up increasing amountd of mosisture depending on type. Psyllium is a good one because if you've ever walked away from a glass of juice with some psyllium husks in it you come back in 5 minutes and find the whole works gelled.
Some of the soluble fibers are quite similar to the insolubles and it's best to view the whole thing as a spectrum from insoluble to very soluble and just consider them all good.

Yeah, I'd count your 9Tbsp. intake as near 50g. fiber also.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-25-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Closed Thread