It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

Ankh HB User
Smile need good nutritional knowledge to answer

hey hey everyone! hope you all well and having a nice weekend so far!

I was just wondering whether this product is good or not....i'll give you the nutrition info then please give your opinion based on the knowledge that you have.

TYPICAL VALUE PER 100g SERVING:
energy 1155kJ (276 calories)
protein 16g
carbs 44g
dietery fibre 27g
fat 5g

or VALUE PER 40g:
energy 462kJ (110 calories)
protein 6g
carbs 18g
dietery fibre 11g
fat 2g

i'm not sure what values you use in the place of grams....

.....curious to hear what you have to say

Old 06-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Re: need good nutritional knowledge to answer

seems good to me, is it low in sugar? or no sugar? well it includes loads of protein, and a lot of fiber... if it doesnt contain any sugar and if the fats are good then its good, i guess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

This sounds like a product produced by a "food scientist" and if it is don't eat it.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
This sounds like a product produced by a "food scientist" and if it is don't eat it.
Huh, what do you mean by that?

Old 06-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

How would anyone decide based only on the information provided - without knowing the source(s) of the protein, carbs, and mostly importantly fat?

Old 06-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
(female)

Ankh HB User

hey hey

racehorse......what do you mean by the "food scientist" statement?

auntjudyg:the information is taken of a bran cereal,but because there are many of these types of cereals,i was wondering if this one is good cos it has the least amount of kilojoules and carbs(i dont want too many carbs).

Old 06-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
hey hey

racehorse......what do you mean by the "food scientist" statement?

auntjudyg:the information is taken of a bran cereal,but because there are many of these types of cereals,i was wondering if this one is good cos it has the least amount of kilojoules and carbs(i dont want too many carbs).
Food Scientists are those guys that work for ... say ConAgra or General Mills and invent new packaged food using a palette of chemicals and usually, grains and/or soy along with corn sweetener and some hydrogenated soybean oil. The ingredients list looks like a chemistry experiment (it is and the American public is the guinea pig)and usually ends with something like polysorbate 80 to retard spoilage. If you are looking for something without too many carbs I would suggest something other than a grain based food. BTW did you ever hear of someone saying "I think i'll have just one more serving of broccolli?" No? Well I bet there are lots of people that have another bowl of cereal.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

haha kinda like pizza pops. man i miss those things...lol

Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
BTW did you ever hear of someone saying "I think i'll have just one more serving of broccolli?"
Yes.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
Yes.
Well maybe if it were Au Gratin or otherwise cheesed, crumbed, sauced or prettied up with "extras" but plain ole broccolli ... I think not! LOL

Old 06-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
(female)

Ankh HB User

i llllluuurvvve plain boiled brocolli....really!
maybe i'm just weird,but thats one of my favourite things to eat actually.

but if i ate one bowl of that cereal,isnt it better that other bran cereals,judging its contents?
for example,all bran flakes has quite a bit of sugar in and quite a bit of kilojoules ......

how much is too much sugar per 100g?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
Well maybe if it were Au Gratin or otherwise cheesed, crumbed, sauced or prettied up with "extras" but plain ole broccolli ... I think not! LOL
Actually, usually we eat it steamed. Tastes very good. What can I say, I just love the taste of broccoli.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Ankh- to be honest, analyzing things to the nth degree is a little crazy. I mean, besides comparing obvious differences, looking at foods like this wont ever work- no one food is perfect, no matter what the 'category' or whatever. Choose foods you enjoy that are healthy for the most part. If one food has 2 g of carbs more than another, that food isn't horrendously worse..you have to learn that little numbers rarely make a difference..its the big ones that count. What I mean by that is you can compare cereals like..one has 30 g of sugar, the other has 3 g... and choose the obvious one...but even if you wanted the one with more sugar, it's not BAD and its certainly not going to DO anything horrible to you! Try to be a little more flexible with the foods you eat and try to look at ingredients rather than numbers to help you choose healthfully.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:44 PM   #14
(female)

Ankh HB User

thanks girlygirl,but as you already kinda know...its a bit tough for me....and i am a health freak,which is really irritating at times,especially in social situations.
the thing is i enjoy healthy foods an i want to know what i eat so that i can see the effect it actually has...i dont know if that makes any sense,but anyway.
i dont want to eat cereals high in carbs and sugars,because i dont want a sugar spike and i want something healthy that wont be detrimental when used in somewhat excess.

justme: yes,steamed brocolli is more yummy

Old 06-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Don't worry about this sugar spike people talk of...this refers to when you eat things like cookies, cakes, candy, chocolate and sugary cereals (like children's cereals) for energy...eating things like bran and other foods that may have a lot of sugar grams but aren't 'sugary foods' by default is absolutely fine. People can drive themselves crazy with all the diff opinions and views on every food out there- it's best to find what works for you and not to listen (much) to anyone else.

Closed Thread