It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

Texasborn HB User
parents don't support me

I am 13 years old and I am trying to lose fat. I do thirty minutes of cardio 6 days a week. I try to eat healthy but my parents don't support me. They say if I can't eat like a regular person, I might as well not eat at all. It makes me so mad because they think that I'm going on this starvation diet. Right now I'm trying to follow the Zone principles but every time they see something that says lite,fat free, of sugar free, they snatch it out of my hands and put it back. I'm not saying that they are bad parents it's just that they are afraid that if I keep on going this way I'll get diabetic,develop cancer or some other disease. They just see how I eat at home. I eat fine, it's just that I try not to eat very high fat foods or starchy things. We have a 7-Eleven right by our house and I usually go and by Nutrion bars and healthy lunches like canned tuna. There are a lot of things I hide from my parents because if they found out, they would probably try to control my whole life. Please I need some advice.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: parents don't support me

Hmmm, I wouldn't say that the zone diet would cause cancer...it's actually a healthy "diet." Your parent's are probably worried, especially if you are at a healthy weight. How do your parents want you to eat?? Are you totally restricting? Are you at a healthy weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
(male)

Texasborn HB User

Does the Zone diet actually cause cancer? Because I'm barely getting into it. It seems pretty good to me. I think my parents are worried not because i'm on a diet but because I changed my eating habits. I mean I used to eat a lot of junk food. I used to go through an entire bag of Hot Cheetos every other day. And just this last year I got into fat loss. I lost a bunch of fat and got a huge increase in my muscle mass. But their is a really stubborn spot on my abs that I'm trying to get rid of. As for my weight, I weigh about 130 pounds and have about ten percent body fat that is mostly on my stomcach. My parents say that if I start changing my eating habits that I will start to get sick very often. Before my mom had me, she used to go threw this starvation diet where she wouldn't eat anything for two or three days and she felt bad all the time. So now my parents think that i am going to go through the same thing except they don't know that I am actually eating correctly. I trying to eliminate starches like potatoes,pasta and white bread because they cause insulin spikes. Like for instance the other day, I had a small bowl of whole grain cereal, a couple of peanuts, less than half a cup of low fat yogurt, and celery sticks. Then a couple of hours later, my mom told my aunt that all I had for breakfast was a couple of pieces of cereal, three peanuts, a bite of yogurt and small celery sticks. My aunt got really shocked and bought me a huge burrito at this place called Big City Burrito and they made me eat the whole thing. And these burritos are huge. What should I tell them?

Old 06-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Hmmm, it sounds like your mom may be worried about you not getting enough nutrients, even though you probably will. Did you try to explain to your mother that all you want to do is get rid of the belly fat, and maintain a healthy weight? I'm sure she should understand, cause belly fat isn't all that healthy(i don't know how much you have, and don't get me wrong, you DO NEED some fat on your body..it's vital for the organs etc.) I'm still confused though, what does your mom expect you to eat? What is HER idea of your diet that satisfies her?

Old 06-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Hehe, they sound like my parents. But if you are following the Zone as in a daily limit of 800 kcal, they're right you're starving yourself.

The cancer part is ridiculous, though.

Last edited by justme_; 06-26-2005 at 11:20 PM.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
(male)

Texasborn HB User

Well she expects me to eat a little bit of junkfood and a little bit of everything. She tries to put in starches like potatos and pasta everyday of the week. I sometimes have to make excuses not to eat it because I know that if I do, It'll ruin my diet. Like yesterday, she made me eat frito pie for lunch and stayed their until I ate the whole thing. I felt guilty the whole day.
I love hamburgers so we make them about every week but I can't eat them because my parents always buy fatty cuts of meat. The patties they but have about 23 grams of fat and about 9 that are saturated and to top it off, they buy white hamburger buns to eat it with. I mean my mom is sort of into the health thing so she tries to buy more natural foods like whole grain breads but my dad always insists that we buy the white pasty stuff. But also I think that my parents and my brother Andrew have very low insulin responce so they could eat anything they want. I hate it. I've been trying to tell them that the faster they let me eat healthy and lower my insulin so that I lose the belly fat, then the sooner I could eat like a normal person.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Are you restricting your calories though? This doesn't sound like the zone diet. More like south beach or something.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
(male)

Nixona HB User

Are your parents overweight and/or have unhealthy eating habits? (Lots of junk food, little fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc)

Old 06-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Hehe, my father is overweight and has lots of cardiovascular diseases. He's always trying to pursuade me into eating unhealthy stuff, and loads of them, too. My mother is just careless and she's currently gaining weight as well. Buys loads of pie, junkfoods, anything that I don't wanna eat really. And she just puts it everywhere in the house cos she thinks it shouldn't matter to me if I see it or not (her argument is: if you want it that badly you just have to control yourself). And she's a family doctor, yeah... some doctor. My sis is always stuffing her mouth full of chocolate in front of me then laughs at me trying to make me jealous... Yup, I love my family.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
(female)

nikki11 HB User

Texas born.. what would worry me is that your only young and your still growing.. of course it does depend, but could it be that you are an ok weight remembering that as you get taller you will grow into your body better.. u dont want to restrict too much b'cos you dont want to hinder your growth.. just a thought..

Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #11
(male)

Texasborn HB User

My parents don't really have unhealthy eating habits. They aren't overweight. My dad might look like he's on the heavy side, but its just a combination of fat and muscle. They sort of over indulge sometimes since they have such a high metabolism. Thats why i've been doing cardio every day so I can improve my metabolism even more.

Last edited by Texasborn; 06-28-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I think 13 is a little young to be worried about losing fat or weight, no matter the reason or background. Your body is still growing and changing, and it wont settle into itself for a few years still. Trying to change what you look like or your fat %age or soemthing could cause irreversible problems in the future. I don't think that at your age you should be worried about this now, and I think your parents are alright in not supporting you..they arent trying to sabotage your efforts to be healthy, but they clearly don't believe you need to be doing this, and i agree. You can be healthy by eating good foods and exercising, but don't do it fanatically because you are still growing and you are a teen- you need to have a social life, and that largely includes food in many instances. Follow the Zone diet LOOSELY if you must, but I would suggest just trying to eat more healthfully overall, and maybe being more active. What is your height and weight anyway?

Old 06-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
(male)

Texasborn HB User

I'm 5ft 5in and weigh about 120 pounds. I've been trying to be more active. I go swimming for everyday for about three hours and do cardio on a treadmill at my friends house. I've been trying to convince my parents to by my some kind of cardio machine because we are going to move in about less than a month and I can't walk to my freinds house everyday. Does anybody know a good machine to buy? Around $100 to 400$.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You really don't need to lose any weight..you are already in the normal to low end of the healthy weight range for your height. Especially given your age, I am really against you trying to diet or become crazy with fitness. I think that being active with friends in sports is good, but I don't think you need to buy a cardio machine..Go outside..play..have fun...don't worry about things that you will worry about for (basically) the rest of your life!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
(male)

Texasborn HB User

Dieting is sort of a pain. Sometimes I get discouraged and try not to do cardio but then I think of that belly fat and I and get really guilty and end up doing it anyways. I think I'll give up restricting so much but I will keep on doing cardio. Thanks everybody who has replied to my problem!

Last edited by Texasborn; 06-29-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Closed Thread