It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Not thirsty, and feel I should be drinking more water.

Hi,
Is there ANYTHING wrong with forcing yourself down 5-7 glasses of water a day. I swear I have to literally force myself to drink this much. I'm NOT thirsty, but I know that I need to drink this much water. OR is it preferred to drink about 6 glasses a day at a slow rate. I've been guzzling water periodically through the day. What do you think?? Is it bad to drink water fast that much through the day??

Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

jade112 HB User
Re: Not thirsty, and feel I should be drinking more water.

Hey-
I find myself doing the same thing!! Too funny, depending on how much i have drank throughout the day which is usually like 3-4, I am always pounding down the last few and I am NOT thirsty at all!! I dont know how people can get that thirsty? My sister easily drinks like double what i drink with no problem at all?!? I think I would explode. I dont think its bad if you pound some of em down, I mean your still getting the water, right Or at least I hope....

-Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade112
Hey-
I find myself doing the same thing!! Too funny, depending on how much i have drank throughout the day which is usually like 3-4, I am always pounding down the last few and I am NOT thirsty at all!! I dont know how people can get that thirsty? My sister easily drinks like double what i drink with no problem at all?!? I think I would explode. I dont think its bad if you pound some of em down, I mean your still getting the water, right Or at least I hope....

-Jade
THanks, there is days though where I do feel thirsty but lately not at all. 3 or 4 would be optimal for me. And yes, I'm forcing myself to drink water, lol.
Thanks again

Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I don't think it is necessary to FORCE yourself to drink if you aren't thirsty or you havent been excersising outside for a while. The 8-10 glasses a day is a recommendation that is optimal..hardly many people get that much in. Also remember that you have to include OTHER liquids, like juices or milk, etc, because they all contain water. I don't believe you need to force your body to do anything, especially take in extra things (even if its water!). I mean, what good will it do? If you are thirsty, go ahead..if you think you need more liquid..go ahead..but the fact of the matter is you are drinking quite a bit as it is, and you aren't thirsty...so why would you NEED to force anything?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks girly, that's what I was thinking!

Old 06-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Actually, I'd have to disagree. Water not only hydrates your skin, which makes it look healthier plus it speeds up your metabolism. It also cleanses your body and flushes out toxins and keeps it from retaining too much water. If you're hardly ever thirsty, it's simply because you're used to not drinking. Once you start drinking more and more, you'll get used to it and you'll actually get thirsty when you don't drink as much. It's the same as with hunger right? If you start starving yourself, your body won't ask for food much anymore. It'll adapt, even tho it's slowly dying.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
(female)

jade112 HB User

Good point Justme!! I never looked at it that way. Thanks-

Jade

Old 06-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah, very good point Justme....I'll keep trying,lol

Old 06-28-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

A little different because when you starve yourself, your brain starts ignoring hunger because you tell it to so that you can get thru it, because you are choosing to not eat in response to signals. Look it up though, and you will find that many people say that forcing yourself to meet the drinking quota isn't necessary. I'm not saying STOP drinking water, I'm just saying that while a couple extra glasses help, forcing yourself to drink even more isn't only unpleasant, I don't believe it is absolutely necessary.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

I know it's not the same system that works, but still it's just something I thought of. It wasn't really the point I was trying to make. I meant that your body doesn't always ask for what it needs. People always say things as 'I won't eat unless I'm hungry', but I'm not sure if that's such a reliable indicator, since people with for example anorexia often don't experience any hunger as well. Once you start eating more, your body will become more hungry. Same goes for water. When you start drinking more, even though you're not thirsty your body adapts to it which will increase your thirst. I used to drink maybe 1 glss of water a day. Now I would think I was gonna die if I did that lol. But how bout reading the other 95% of my other post, eh?

Last edited by justme_; 06-29-2005 at 05:02 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I actually did read the other parts of your post, and i agreed with them. This is the only thing i disagreed with and thus i brought it up. I didn't analyze it sentence by sentence..

The fact of the matter is that forcing yourself to drink a few glasses a day vs forcing yourself to drink like 10 glasses a day is very different. You said you only drank ONE glass, whereas the poster that first asked is clearly drinking more than that. Yes, it is good to drink a lot because thirst isn't always reliable, but drinking way mroe than needed isn't necessary in my opinion. It is good that you forcved yourself to drink more than one glass, but do you really think it is necessary to force yoruself to drink 3 more at the end of the night if you've already had about 6-8?

Old 06-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

man I think this is non sence about this water drinking,, why are guys worried about drinking to much..i know not drinking enough is not good but, drinking more is not dangerous at all.. jess.. dont worry about the water thingy, just drink when you need to..and, try to drink around 2 litres a day.. ill see you in the other thread..chow

Old 06-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
man I think this is non sence about this water drinking,, why are guys worried about drinking to much..i know not drinking enough is not good but, drinking more is not dangerous at all.. jess.. dont worry about the water thingy, just drink when you need to..and, try to drink around 2 litres a day.. ill see you in the other thread..chow
My problem is..is that I can't even DRINK that much. Although I do drink about one to two cups of green tea daily and one glass of some vegetable juice.

Closed Thread