It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #1

jazzyE HB User
Any raw milk drinkers???

I've been looking into the benefits of raw or real milk. Just curious to see how many of you out there go for raw milk over the more common pasteurized milk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User
Re: Any raw milk drinkers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyE
I've been looking into the benefits of raw or real milk. Just curious to see how many of you out there go for raw milk over the more common pasteurized milk.
I would think that uncontaminatied raw milk to be superior to the local supermarket variety for several reasons. What the cow was fed for one, lack of hormones etc. but I don't consider either a good food source. Humans are not designed to consume dairy beyond human breast milk when they are tots. There are serious concerns about casein/autoimmune diseases and the connection between cow's milk and type 1 diabetes is becoming clearer. All and all I don't think it fit to eat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

I drink raw goat's milk. Better for you than cow's milk by far....easier to digest because of shorter chained fatty acids. You can't get raw goats milk in very many places....most times you have to get it from the farm and raw milk sales are illegal in some states.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I agree that cows' milk is not a good choice for human conumption. I don't equate raw and unpasturtized with pure and wholesome and if you are GOING to drink milk, view the unpastuerized milk in the same light as a raw egg.

I always picture a cow stepping into it's own ****** and then into the bucket of milk...yummy ! Or some cow with diseased teats giving some nice UNTESTED, UNPASTEURIZED pus-laden white liquid!...Got Milk?

Pasteurization was developed to prevent disease, mainly TB. TB is on the rise again and we sure don't need any in our food! ANd then there's spongiform encephalitis waiting in the wings! There are better foods!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-29-2005 at 06:50 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Absolutely, I go for raw milk! I don't drink it straight very often, but use it to make yogurt (unheated) or in soups (warmed slightly, but not too hot), scooping off some of the cream to put on blueberries!, and there is nothing better than letting the cream "age" for a while to get your own creme fraiche!

I'm soooo lucky to live in a state that allows raw milk sales and to have it readily available. The cows are inspected and testing constantly. Rumor has it that one of the health inspectors in the state switched to raw because he was so disgusted at the conditions are regular commercial dairys at so impressed with conditions at the smaller, raw farms.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Autoimmunity is that the same thing as inflamation? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
(female)

tdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
Autoimmunity is that the same thing as inflamation? Thanks.
No, autoimmunity is when a body's immune system fights its own tissues while inflammation is a response of a body's tissues to injury, irritation or infection, usually characterized by symptoms of swelling and redness. Autoimmunity is not visible, it is often idiopathic and silent.

For example, multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease whereby the body's immune system attacks the myelin sheaths which surround nerves. Your body will experience inflammation when you get a bug bite or sprain your ankle.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto-immune disease and I believe you will see substantial inflammation as a result. Inflammation can be the result on trauma, allergy, pathogens or autoimmune conditions.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

ohhh okay, thanks

Old 07-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
(female)

bigbuns HB User

We use raw milk that we buy locally that is tested and inspected regularly. It is much better tasting IMHO and extremely easier to digert.

Closed Thread