It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User
More protein sources for vegetarians

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of more protein sources for vegetarians other than nuts, tofu, legumes, etc. I would like to include more protein in my diet, and I eat a ton of nuts, tofu and lentils and wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas! Lately, I have been making an eggbeater/fat free swiss cheese omelette = 3/4 cup egg beaters: 90 cal, 18 g protein and three pieces of fat free swiss cheese = 30 cal 5 g protein 15% calcium per slice. Any recipes/ideas would be appreciated
-Mags

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: More protein sources for vegetarians

seitan and tempeh are great protein sources. also, quinoa, lentils, spelt berries, kamut in things like kamut flakes cereal, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

brown rice approaches the protein quality of soya.

alex.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

jade112 HB User

Do you eat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese? They come in whole fat, low fat and fat free as well and they both have a lot of protien.

-Jade

Old 06-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia29
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of more protein sources for vegetarians other than nuts, tofu, legumes, etc. I would like to include more protein in my diet, and I eat a ton of nuts, tofu and lentils and wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas! Lately, I have been making an eggbeater/fat free swiss cheese omelette = 3/4 cup egg beaters: 90 cal, 18 g protein and three pieces of fat free swiss cheese = 30 cal 5 g protein 15% calcium per slice. Any recipes/ideas would be appreciated
-Mags
I think further on there are other suggestions for proteins but if you insist on grains, quinoa and ammaranth would top my list. Avoiding gluten (seitan) containing grains would be a more conservative approach. I wonder why you would want to eat egg beaters? Have you ever read the chemistry experiment called an ingredients list on the side of the package. Gives me the shivvvvvers.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

racehorse you'r to much of a perfectionist, you dont belong on this forum(joke) and, thats coming from a celiac..LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Old 06-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
racehorse you'r to much of a perfectionist, you dont belong on this forum(joke) and, thats coming from a celiac..LOLLLLLLLLLLLL
Ha! Since you are a fellow Celiac I guess you know that perfection with diet is a basic requirement. LOL. Any mistakes I make are to be paid for.
The protein choices for vegans are just poor and since I don't think dairy is a real food that would only leave eggs as a high value protein source for those that are not strict vegans. But I do think that Quinoa and Ammaranth are much the better choices if grains are to be included in the diet. Better those than that soya crap and gluten grains. BTW when were you diagnosed? I've known for 13 years.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey there, 17 months ago..lol..i put on 65lbs..yuppers

Old 06-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

17 months makes quite a difference. I know the learning curve was pretty steep for me but then again there was no web then. I learned to print my own business card with info for chefs about gluten, found lists of food and drugs with hidden gluten and developed a large interest in the human diet. Welcome to the club and good health to you.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
17 months makes quite a difference. I know the learning curve was pretty steep for me but then again there was no web then. I learned to print my own business card with info for chefs about gluten, found lists of food and drugs with hidden gluten and developed a large interest in the human diet. Welcome to the club and good health to you.
What were your symptoms that led you to get tested for celiac??

Old 06-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

For me they were very classic, weight loss and the three F's. Floating, foamy and foul, stools that is. Celiac symptoms can be mental fog, skin conditions, constipation, loose or liquid stool and just about any other symptom you can think of. joint pain and any of the autoimmune diseases can result. Some people show no outward symptoms until they are diagnosed with cancer for instance, that is why compliance with a gluten free diet is critical.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
For me they were very classic, weight loss and the three F's. Floating, foamy and foul, stools that is. Celiac symptoms can be mental fog, skin conditions, constipation, loose or liquid stool and just about any other symptom you can think of. joint pain and any of the autoimmune diseases can result. Some people show no outward symptoms until they are diagnosed with cancer for instance, that is why compliance with a gluten free diet is critical.
CANCER?!?! Without knowing at ALL? Jeez. Now I'm really paranoid, lol, cancer scares me. ANyways, I always thought the symptoms were weight loss and diarhrea, until losec informed me that my problems could most certainly be related to gluten. I'm going to see a holistic doctor and he's going to perform a test on me. It consists of HOLDING something (he didn't go into detail on the phone), but he also said "You'll be amazed when you leave." I was like, "okay!" The test will indicate EVERYTHING my body doesn't comply with...he said even mercury and metals. But did you ever hear of a diagnostic test like this before?

Last edited by Jess75; 06-29-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

thanks jess... i will wear my tye when we meet..lol.. xox
anyways i remember when i got diagnosed with celiac like 17 months..and, started the diet, i felt like an alien..lol but, i started doing all this research.. and, thought to myself, i must help people.. I JUST GOTTA DO IT.. i found out about IBS and, how it is related to celiac..i knew my sister had IBS and, been suffering many years with her condition..she was always sick espeically when she ate out(Jess).. anyhow I put her on my diet..I thought her all the tricks..and, her IBS..is like GONE..she cant believe it..now if she has a little speck of gluten, she's like physicaly sick.. tired, dizzy, bloated, cramps..etc..

go figure..

Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
CANCER?!?! Without knowing at ALL? Jeez. Now I'm really paranoid, lol, cancer scares me. ANyways, I always thought the symptoms were weight loss and diarhrea, until losec informed me that my problems could most certainly be related to gluten. I'm going to see a holistic doctor and he's going to perform a test on me. It consists of HOLDING something (he didn't go into detail on the phone), but he also said "You'll be amazed when you leave." I was like, "okay!" The test will indicate EVERYTHING my body doesn't

comply with...he said even mercury and metals. But did you ever hear of a diagnostic test like this before?
Well it might be ok but I smell scam.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah me too... but, jessica is a smart cookie..she aint no fish

Closed Thread