It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

vschon HB User
need to gain weight..

hello,
I am 15 yrs old, 5'5" and weigh about 98 lbs. I have been trying to gain weight recently, I eat about every 3 hours (large quantities) and have been eating a lot of proteins and carbs. My mom really want me to gain weight and tells me to be stuffing down donoughts and junk food and anything I want. How do I gain weight quickly w/o having to gobble down junk food? I want to gain weight but not a lot of fat either..
-- I was also wondering.. how healthy is a PB&J sandwich and can eating those help you gain weight?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
(female)

Jogaholic HB User
Re: need to gain weight..

Hi vschon,
I am familiar with the weight-gaining process myself and what I can tell you is that it is a lot harder than you may anticipate to do, especially if you are active. Do you exercise?
First of all, stuffing yourself with junk like donuts all the time is not the way to gain healthily. Of course, sweets now and then won't hurt you; the extra calories can help. You do need to incorporate nutrient-dense foods so you gain muscle mass and not all fat. If you light weights, that will help. Some foods you may want to consider: peanut butter sandwiches (whole wheat bread - and jelly is fine but look for low sugar/no sugar added kinds), lean meats, potatoes, nuts/seeds, dried fruit, Ensure drinks, extra servings of fruits and veggies throughout the day, bars, granola...
What are you eating now? Every 3 hours may not be enough to make you gain, since your metabolism is working off those calories all the time and is faster if you are active. You need 500 extra calories a day, that's 3500 a week to gain one pound a week. Look up the Harris-Benedict equation to find a ballpark number of calories you burn in a day, considering the amount of physical activity you do, and go from there.
By the way, gaining 1-2 pounds a week is healthy; don't stuff yourself thinking you can gain 10 that quickly. Besides, more than 2 pounds a week is probably just water weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

vschon HB User
Re: need to gain weight..

Hey,
Thanks for your reply.. also I exercise about 2 hours a day playing tennis, and have recently started lifting weights. The main reason why I want to gain weight is because my coach wont allow me to run 2 miles and do sprints that I need to do to improve my footwork.. I have already gained about 3 lbs in the past week so I'll try to keep that up.

Thanks again

Closed Thread