It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Question Is this bad? Super light butter containing trans fats...

Okay, so I'm trying to lose like 10 lbs of weight. It's really annoying cos I had them off but then school started gettin hectic, so I studied 24/7, stopped going to the gym and stopped caring about my food until my exams were over (last week)... so now I've gained them back. Anyways, theres like this butter I use. But it contains some trans fats... It's really light, I mean here in Holland they don't really sell any fake butters such as 'I can't believe it's not butter', etc... but it contains 145 calories per 100 grams... and 1 gram of trans fat and 4 grams of saturated fats per 100 grams... is this really that bad? Cos the other lowest calorie butter I could find contains like double the calories... and normaly butter like triple or even more.

Actually, I don't really care about heart conditions etc. and risks that go wtih it. Because I normally eat so healthy it's really not gonna give me any diseases. But does it affect my metabolism? Will that matter more than the amount of calories in it for my weight loss? Thanks...

Old 06-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User
Re: Is this bad? Super light butter containing trans fats...

Duh, yeah ... sorry if that sounds harsh. Why not eat wholesome foods and eliminate the ones that contribute to your fat gain? Start with grains and legumes, vegetable oils and starchy vegetablesand everything made in a factory. Follow this and you don't need to count calories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Erm... I eat healthy things. This is the only thing that I'm getting my trans fats from probably. I eat loads of veggies, protein and good fats. And it's not like I eat an entire box of butter every day like occasionally on my bread... I just don't like calories, but it sounds so little 1 gram per 100 grams? And I think I eat like 10 grams a day... so that's 0.1 grams of trans fats a day is that so bad?

Plus this isn't what made me gain my weight back though... I mean how much can one tablespoon of butter a day (or not even) do? I think what made me gain my weight back is cos I didn't have time to count calories and go to the gym anymore. I know this may sound like an excuse but the only person in my class who does the same subjects as me on the same level is totally highly gifted, and I'm not so that's why school is so hard for me.

I was only interested in its effect on my metabolism, by the way... cos I already have a diet (as in I figured out my ratios... amount of calories, etc.)

Last edited by justme_; 06-29-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Well lets not get too twisted about this. It is not only the transfats in the fake butter that are bad for you, it is all the rest of it as well. If you are eating very little (butter) in the first place then real butter will not make much of a change in your total caloric intake. So be safe and healthy and eat only naturally occuring fats (this means no industrial oils).

Old 06-30-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

okay thanks... i guess next time ill just buy the heart-healthy butter.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Sorry to butt in but seriously I eat all natural veggies and fruit and no meat so I am pretty healthy. The one thing I refuse to give up is my 'I can't beleive it's not butter' spray. Please understand that things only harm your body when you over consume them. For example a piece of chocolate will not necessarily make you fat but a whole candy bar will ruin your weight loss efforts if you eat one or two per day. Moral of the story is everything in moderation is they key to life. You don't sit and eat 100g of butter each day and the tablespoon that you do eat could be good for you. I say eat your butter but just don't eat the entire tub!

Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Well you are certainly correct about a moderate amount of toxins are better than mega doses.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

justme,

I think your product is great especially if it tastes decent. It sounds much like what I use in the States: SmartBeat, basically a whipped liquid canola- water mix with a small amount of hydrogenation and xanthan gum to hold it together. In the U.S. it can be labeled NO TRANS FATS because it's less than 1/2 gram per serving. The EU unfortunately rates everything per 100 grams which is a small serving of meat but almost a whole stick of butter (1/4 pound).
My "TRANS FAT FREE" (AND zero saturated fats) stuff is 20 calories per serving which is a Tbsp. or 14 grams...this equates to 143 calories per 100 grams. I'll bet it's EXACTLY what you use? Is it in bright yellow 8 ounce tubs, 2 to the package?

Unless you are eating half a tub I think you can completely ignore the tiny amount of trans fats. A tbsp. has zero trans fats with sensible rounding off.

It's a GREAT diet aid and takes the guilt out of a piece of toast or a crusty piece of fresh French bread! Tastes pretty decent as well.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-30-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

lol thanks lenin, yeah it does sound the same but it comes in a white box and its mostly from soybean oil i think, and it tastes exactly like real butter.. i have no problem with the taste lol

Old 06-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

See if you can find a canola version...it's a better oil mix (lots of Omega-3's in the form of ALA.) In fact, look for SMART BEAT!

Old 06-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

I live in Europe and I doubt we have it. It might get here soon though. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Canola oil is just another industrial product and adds nothing positive to one's diet. These industrial oils, soybean, canola, sunflower, corn etc. are all pretty much the same ...BAD. Vegetable oils in the modern diet are now recognized as a major component in CHD, (along with sugars) so reducing them to zero would be the goal for an optimal diet.

Closed Thread