It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

sorrel2 HB User
macronutrient ratios

I know this is a widely debated topic ... but I am wondering about everyone's opinions. What do you think an ideal dietary macronutrient ratio should be (protein/fat/carbohydrate %)? And why? I don't want this to turn into a big fight ("10% fat!" "No, 40% fat!") but I'm looking for different opinions and different info you have to back up your opinions.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Re: macronutrient ratios

For weight/fat loss I think Fat-Carb-Protein should be 20:45:35
For just health I think like 25:50:25

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

For weight loss increase protein and fats and get the carbs under 20% ... and make them low glycemic.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
For weight loss increase protein and fats and get the carbs under 20% ... and make them low glycemic.
Hey racehorse, would you give me a breif rundown of all of the food you DO recommend? Like what the heck do you eat, LOL. Could you give an example of your daily menu? I'm curious.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

he must eat chicken, fish, steak, and, vegetables..and, some fruits....chestnuts..etc.. oh yeah--water..lol very healthy tho, jessica..ehe

Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hey racehorse, would you give me a breif rundown of all of the food you DO recommend? Like what the heck do you eat, LOL. Could you give an example of your daily menu? I'm curious.
I eat fruit, flesh, veg (non starchy) and raw tree nuts. I don't eat fish tho except for the occasional sardine or other low level small fish ... to many toxic things in top level predators. I do eat eggs but only organic ones. I trim all excess fat from most meats and cook with only natural fats. I render my own lard and chicken fat and use virgin coconut oil. I'm a big salad eater and dress them with extra virgin olive oil and a vinegar or citrus juice. I eat everything fresh and buy no packaged or prepared foods with the exception of canned tomatoes. I do buy some sauce things primarily from trader joes but never if they contain vegetable oils or msg or other unnatural molecules. My friends consider me a gourmet chefand I enjoy the creative process of making new dishes from the best that the store has to offer. My diet is probably a bit less on the animal foods than it was when I was younger but I generally enjoy good health despite years of undiagnosed Celiac disease. I'll look for my recipe for a morning smoothie and post it when I find it but I often eat the remains of last nights dinner for lunch and snack on raw nuts which I rotate between walnuts, pinenuts, almonds, pistachios and sometimes, maccadamia and brazil ... I also eat pumpkin and sunflower seeds ... all raw to preserve the fat profile. i eat very little salt and since I eat no prepared foods my total NaCl intake is quite low. My blood lipid profile is what others might wish for with a good ldl hdl ratio and total choleterol below 125 with triglycerides <60. So as you can see this omnivore diet seems to be working pretty well. Being a Celiac has been a blessing in some ways because it has made me acutely aware of what I eat. I have gone past what most celiac's do in that I do not try to create fake bread with other grains as substitutes. I have learned that grains in all forms are not my friend and am now accustomed to not eating or desiring them, likewise with legumes.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
he must eat chicken, fish, steak, and, vegetables..and, some fruits....chestnuts..etc.. oh yeah--water..lol very healthy tho, jessica..ehe
I didn't mention but for the occasional green tea I drink purified water.

Closed Thread