It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

manda16 HB User
suggestions about my diet

I am wondering if someone would be willing to give me their opinion about my diet.
I am 5 feet and 6 inches, and weigh 132 lbs. On an average day I eat:
An apple for breakfast, a banana for lunch and lettuce for supper. Through out the day I eat nuts, seeds, raisins and fruit.
I also drink about 6-8 glasses of water a day and do a lot of exercising.
I am finding it difficult to loose weight and am not sure what to do.
I would be very appreciative if I could get some suggestions.
Thank you,
Mandy

Old 06-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: suggestions about my diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda16
I am wondering if someone would be willing to give me their opinion about my diet.
I am 5 feet and 6 inches, and weigh 132 lbs. On an average day I eat:
An apple for breakfast, a banana for lunch and lettuce for supper. Through out the day I eat nuts, seeds, raisins and fruit.
I also drink about 6-8 glasses of water a day and do a lot of exercising.
I am finding it difficult to loose weight and am not sure what to do.
I would be very appreciative if I could get some suggestions.
Thank you,
Mandy
I think the reason why you aren't losing weight is because your not eating enough calories. You probably could use a lot more protien and good complex carbs. When your body is faced with a deficiency of calories, your body's automatic response is to conserve fat. This mechanism may have come in handy for your distant ancestors trying to survive a famine. Also, when your not getting enough calories, your body begins to break down muscle for fuel. Muscle is a very active tissue and requires a certain amount of number JUST to survive. AT LEAST 1200 calories. You don't want to lose muscle becasue your metabolism would get extremely low, and you'll pack on the fat very fast. That's why strength training is great because the more muscle you have the more calories you burn all day, because the process of synthesising or making the muscle requires energy(caloires). Remember though, muscle does weigh two time more than fat so don't let the scale food you at first. I suggest 4-5 days of cardio and 2 strength(not to mention more calories, i'd say 1500). Muscle also takes up less space, thus making you look thinner. You also said that you exercise alot, do you do weight train. Plus, since you do exercise a lot, then I would say that you definitely don't eat enough and that's where your problem lies. How many calories do you think your consuming?

Last edited by Jess75; 06-29-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

manda16 HB User

Thank you for responding to my post!
I get about 800 calories a day. I was not aware that my calorie consumption was this low. I am not really sure how I can get more calories in my diet, because I am a vegan, and this limits my food choices.
It would be great if anyone had any ideas.
Thanks

Old 06-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
(female)

zusanna HB User

Jessicca is right. You're not getting near enough calories and your body's metabolism has slowed down so much that you cannot lose anymore weight. You definently need more protein and carbs...do you eat any dairy at all (milk, cheese, yogurt). A recent study has found that 3 servings of dairy a day will help you burn more fat. And protein is essential to build muscle and the more muscle mass you have the higher your metabolism will be and the more calories you will burn. So do some resistance training and eat more! You HAVE to eat to lose weight...starving yourself does not work.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
(female)

manda16 HB User

No, I can't eat any kind of Dairy, because I am allergic to it.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda16
Thank you for responding to my post!
I get about 800 calories a day. I was not aware that my calorie consumption was this low. I am not really sure how I can get more calories in my diet, because I am a vegan, and this limits my food choices.
It would be great if anyone had any ideas.
Thanks

Being vegan might limit your food choices by ruling out a handful of things (meat, eggs, dairy) but it does NOT limit you to apples, raisins, nuts, and lettuce!!!!

Try some of these: chickpeas, kidney beans, pinto beans, lentils, white rice, brown rice, oatmeal, seitan, tempeh, tofu, broccoli, potatoes and sweet potatoes, tortilla chips and salsa and bean dip, kale, spinach, oranges, cereal and soymilk, ricemilk, almond milk, oatmilk, hazelnut milk, dairy free ice cream, dairy free sour cream, bagels and vegan cream cheese, polenta, pasta and tomato sauce, pasta and roasted veggies with garlic and olive oil, herb popcorn, english muffins with Earth Balance non-hydrogenated margarine and jam, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, tahini, table soups, rice noodles, miso, salads with Brianna's poppyseed dressing, veggie sushi, hash browns, couscous, barley, rice pilaf, vegetarian gravy, faux meats, butternut squash, eggplant & zucchini, mushrooms, Thai food, ****** food or Mexican food can easily be made vegan....There are a million other vegan foods out there, these are only a few that you can get at almost any mainstream grocery store.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-14-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Closed Thread