It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

PegMom HB User
Unhappy Help for Binge Eating!!!!

I need help to help me stop binging and start eating healthy. I am 41 yrs old, 145 lbs and a size 10.... but my stomach is so bloated I look 5 months pregnant! I have NEVER been over 130 lbs (except when pregnant) and have gained 15 lbs in the last year. This is largely due to the fact that I don't exercise and I have been binging....usually in the evening. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast, but for the last 2 months I've been getting a large coffee and blueberry muffin!! Lunch is not bad, I usually eat very healthy and then have a healthy snack of a small yogurt w/ high protein all natural cereal in it while I'm at work. Then when I go home I binge before dinner and then again before bed time......an example is last night I ate 2 bowls of cereal after dinner, a LOT of potato chips and then about 5 ritz crackers w/ pb and jelly on them!!! I was stuffed, bloated and disgusted going to bed feeling that way. Every day I say tomorrow will be different. I can't have sweets in the house because I'll eat two pieces of cake or two pieces of pie or half a gallon of ice cream or 4 Reeses pb cups!! I've had a pineapple, and two cantelopes rotting in my refridgerator for over a week!!! I don't drink enough water either. I'm a nutrition disaster and have absolutely no will power....I feel like a failure and am afraid to start an exercise routine or a "healthy" eating routine because I always fail.....I'm so afraid of what this is doing to my body but think it will take something really bad happening to shake me up and that is the last thing I want. I have a 5 yr old daughter, 13 yr old son and 18 y/o son who need me to be there for them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Help for Binge Eating!!!!

It seems like you REALLY want to make a change. And your taking the first step by being receptive to this behavior and realising that it isn't healthy. And some people continue on to eat like this, get heavy, diabetes, heart disease and the list goes on. If I were you, i'd read about healthy eating, exercise, and all the benefits that come along with it. Try to do things STEP by STEP without overwhelming yourself and going down to only 1000 calories or something. Each day is a new day, and try to change your eating habits step by step. Instead of grabbing ritz crackers, try to choose something like celery and pb, or fruit etc. ONe step at a time.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
(female)

tropicalfreeze2 HB User

another important factor to diet....is eating 5 small meals a day...i find this to be helpful for cravings and keeps me full....never hungry!! i eat about every 3 hours keep the meals balanced and include a small treat in one of them... i swear by this method....i used to binge myself...i used to find that when i would binge it was because i let myself go too long with out food between meals i would eat alot even though i didn't need all that food... my brain told me that i was starving!!! another hint: surround yourself with family and friends as much as possible...from experience binge eaters tend to eat like this when there are alone....with support of people you care about there is no time hide yourself and indulge!! i notice that you eat alot of simple carbs this causes you be get hungry real fast.....balance every meal....and your last meal should contain mostly protein....it keeps your metabolism up through the night!! exercise is important...it signals hormones causing you to not want to eat...almost a full feeling...how about a little exercise before dinner!! even just a walk will do!! you also will set a great example for your kids!! i remember my mother never went a day without her walk and got me inspired to be a healthier person whether i wanted to or not!!! i wish you luck! and hope the best for you!!

Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
(female)

PegMom HB User

Thank you so much for your responses. They all make a lot of sense and I will definitely try them! A walk before dinner and eating healthy every 3 hours sound like great ideas...celry w/ pb is a good idea because I KNOW I eat too many carbs. Also, less time alone would help too!! I do eat like this when noone is around usually and realize a lot of my eating occurs when I'm bored, watching tv (need to cut back) or stressed. I feel like I can start to make baby steps and eventually eliminate the binging. I'll keep you posted!!

Closed Thread