It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
What do you think about juicing?

Hi,
I'm gonna start searching for a juicer. Do any of you guys suggest a specific brand?
Is juicing just as beneficial as actually "eating" veggies? What's your comment on it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Re: What do you think about juicing?

I'm looking into getting a juicer also. I've heard that jucing is more nutritious than eating vegetables. I think I might get Jack Lulane's Juicer, cause you can fit some whole fruits/veggies into it like apples, wihout having to slice them up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
I'm looking into getting a juicer also. I've heard that jucing is more nutritious than eating vegetables. I think I might get Jack Lulane's Juicer, cause you can fit some whole fruits/veggies into it like apples, wihout having to slice them up.
Kool, if we get one, maybe we could share recipes!

Old 07-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Juicing in general is a bad idea. You change a low glycemic veg into a high glycemic drink and generally eliminate the fiber. Eating should involve chewing as that act in and of itself tells the body to begin the digestion process. Drinking is for water. Drinking should be non caloric (ie, water)

Old 07-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
Juicing in general is a bad idea. You change a low glycemic veg into a high glycemic drink and generally eliminate the fiber. Eating should involve chewing as that act in and of itself tells the body to begin the digestion process. Drinking is for water. Drinking should be non caloric (ie, water)
The pulp would stil be in there. Mercola has a WHOLE different view.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Yeah, and don't some juicers put the fiber(pulp) in a little compartment, so then you could use that fiber(pulp) to make foods with or do what you want with it. Plus, there are important nutrients that are being consumed when you juice, not just the fiber.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Look at Jack Lulane. He doesn't eat any cooked foods. He's been using a juicer for a long time, and he's still exercising everyday at 90+ years old.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
The pulp would stil be in there. Mercola has a WHOLE different view.
Yeah, and he also thinks dairy (raw and fermented is a good food) so his record is spotty. If you juice oranges for instance you might eat the juice of 6 or 8 with little pulp or bioflavanoids, your blood sugar goes to the moon and your pancreas taxes itself to bring down the sugar rush which then often overcompensates and produces hypoglycemia. This is to say nothing of the bad effects of the insulin itself. What you say ... I'll juice vegetables ... well carrot juice will have the same outcome. Just chew and chew like nature intended you too and you will eat fewer calories with better digestion and health.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

I think juicing fruits or high-sugar vegetables (carrots) is a bad idea, but juicing green vegetables is a good idea (in additon to eating them whole.) There is a such thing as TOO much fiber. If you ate pounds and pounds of kale (for example), not only would it be extremely iuncomfortable/difficult, but all that fiber would be a burden on the digestive system and could prevent full absorption of nutrients. Basically juicing green vegetables allows you to get a larger amount of nutrients than would otherwise be feasible, in a form that allows for rapid absorption.

If you want a juicer that is relatively inexpensive and will last literally forever, get a manual hand-crank stainless steel one. That's the kind I have.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrel2
I think juicing fruits or high-sugar vegetables (carrots) is a bad idea, but juicing green vegetables is a good idea (in additon to eating them whole.) There is a such thing as TOO much fiber. If you ate pounds and pounds of kale (for example), not only would it be extremely iuncomfortable/difficult, but all that fiber would be a burden on the digestive system and could prevent full absorption of nutrients. Basically juicing green vegetables allows you to get a larger amount of nutrients than would otherwise be feasible, in a form that allows for rapid absorption.

If you want a juicer that is relatively inexpensive and will last literally forever, get a manual hand-crank stainless steel one. That's the kind I have.
Well it seems that more often than not when you try an end run around mother nature (evolution) it comes back and bites you in the butt. Juicing is an example. For instance take cruciferous veggies, that class of the cabbage family, kale, broccolli etc. contain goitrogens. These are compounds that can cause adverse effects on your thyroid. When cooked they are largely deactivated and when you eat the occasional cole slaw you are not getting a mega dose. But now you start juicing and stuff kale, and spinach and others into the mix and get some REALLY big doses because you think you are being so healthy. Well in time your ole thyroid gets tired and soon you join the millions of Americans with hypothyroidism and begin gaining weight and think you must be getting older because the memory just isn't what it was. So, the law of unintended consequences strikes again. Your pursuit of a healthy diet was derailed BECAUSE you didn't eat healthy food in a traditional manner. Chew your food, drink water and be healthy!

Old 07-02-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Yeah, but when you cook foods such as veggies, a bunch of the nutritious things that were in the veggies are cooked off, and you don't reap the benefits.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Good point racehorse. Nonetheless I still think moderate amounts of green juice can be a beneficial addition to the diet. (and I highly doubt that the epidemic of thyroid problems is due to millions of people downing quarts of kale juice )

Old 07-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrel2
Good point racehorse. Nonetheless I still think moderate amounts of green juice can be a beneficial addition to the diet. (and I highly doubt that the epidemic of thyroid problems is due to millions of people downing quarts of kale juice )
You are of course correct that the epidemic (largely unrecognized) of thyroid prolems are not caused by kale juice. I tried to make clear that it is the class of vegetables (cruciferous) that are the problem and most other fruits and vegetables do not have goitrogens. I repeat, that chewing is an important component of the digestive process and the only thing nature prepared us to drink is water. The primary cause of thyroid problems is the near omnipresent use of soy and soy products (often hidden in processed foods) and the use of concentrated soy isoflavones promoted as estrogen replacement therapy. The damage they are causing will continue to grow with the use of soy, especially the 85% that is GMO that seems to have even more of these dangerous constituents than regular soy. So if you insist on juicing I would say go low glycemic and avoid cruciferous veggies and find a way to incorporate some of the fiber.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
Yeah, but when you cook foods such as veggies, a bunch of the nutritious things that were in the veggies are cooked off, and you don't reap the benefits.
With the cruciferous veggies a light steaming or stirfry is usually enough to eliminate most of the bad stuff and most other veggies I enjoy in there raw form regularly.

Closed Thread