It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
(female)

bigbuns HB User
Question Juicing raw kale?

I put daily 4 leaves of raw kale in my blender and liquefy it with water and drink it. I always understood kale was good for you, but I was asked today if eating it raw in this manner was safe? I never considered that it might not be but now I'm wondering if what I thought would be healthy might be dangerous. Does anybody know if juicing kale daily in this manner is healthy or harmful?? Any advise would be appreciated, TY. I hope I am posting this in the proper place.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User
Re: Juicing raw kale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuns
I put daily 4 leaves of raw kale in my blender and liquefy it with water and drink it. I always understood kale was good for you, but I was asked today if eating it raw in this manner was safe? I never considered that it might not be but now I'm wondering if what I thought would be healthy might be dangerous. Does anybody know if juicing kale daily in this manner is healthy or harmful?? Any advise would be appreciated, TY. I hope I am posting this in the proper place.
I posted on another thread about the dangers of juicing in general and the specific danger of juicing cruciferous vegetable, of which Kale is one. Cabbage family veggies contain substances that are known goitrogens. That is they impair thyroid function. So while the occasional cole slaw would be rather harmless the daily intake of raw cruciferous (kale in this case) could become problematic especially if your thyroid was also being taxed by eating soy/soy products. The law of unintended consequences when you try to fool mother nature. Slightly steaming or stirfrying cruciferous veg usually renders them healthful and they do have a number of very good phyto nutrients to offer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

bigbuns HB User

Racehorse...ty for the reply. Do you know of any greens that are safe to juice and drink daily? I love a tall green drink and wonder what would be good to use??

Old 07-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuns
Racehorse...ty for the reply. Do you know of any greens that are safe to juice and drink daily? I love a tall green drink and wonder what would be good to use??
Again, i am not in favor of jucing, but if you just avoid the cruciferous ones you should be safe. You can search cruciferous for a completed list of the problematic ones. BTW, do you juice as a time saver? Just curious.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

bigbuns HB User

Mostly I just like to juice because I like the taste of a vegtable drink to sip while I am doing things around the house. Years ago I used to juice in a juicer but got away from that because it took out all the fiber. Now I do it in the blender because it just liquifies everything and you get the same fiber as if you ate it with a knife and fork. I drink a lot of water and no soda and just a decaf coffee in the AM and I like the taste far better than say V8 that had been sitting on the grocers shelf for who knows how long. I eat big salads daily too, not only juice, by the way. But still if I find I have gotten away from juicing for a few days I miss it, it seems like it makes me feel good, maybe it's mental and I think I am missing doing something good for myself. LOL Who knows. Well now I'll juice different veggies. TY for the heads up. I am so glad I asked about this..ty again.

Closed Thread