It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

sorrel2 HB User
bananas

...a totally worthless fruit with a high glycemic index and practically no nutrients? Or not?

I like bananas and used to eat a lot of them. But I stopped eating them because of the high glycemic index. What do you guys think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

nikki11 HB User
Re: bananas

hmm i dunno.. i was always told that a banana is like a meal on its own..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #3

llamamuffinmama HB User

they have lots of fiber, calcium, vitamin c, amino acids, and potassium. they're nutrient dense, filling, and delicious. unless you have a particular problem with blood sugar regulation (i.e. you're diabetic or something), i'd say eat one a day!

Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
(male)

Nixona HB User

Do they still consider one banana to be 2 servings?

Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i eat one or two bananas everyday..with almond butter..

Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yeah, I don't care about the high glycemic values of bananas since they are a natural fruit that we are intended to eat.
Bananas are high in vitamin B6 and potassium. Sometimes I'll have 2 in one day!lol

Old 07-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
i eat one or two bananas everyday..with almond butter..
Way to go!! The almond butter buffers the sugar uptake with some fat ant protein, and almond avoids those really bad things in peanut butter. Now if I could just find an almond butter made with raw almonds.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
Way to go!! The almond butter buffers the sugar uptake with some fat ant protein, and almond avoids those really bad things in peanut butter. Now if I could just find an almond butter made with raw almonds.
At Whole Foods market they sell FRESHLY roasted nut butters, right from the nut itself, including almond butter.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

So racehorse, what's your opinion on bananas then? Okay as long as they're bufferred, as you say, with fat & protein?

There are plenty of raw almond butters. (are you in the U.S.?) I have tried several brands. Maranatha is a nationally available brand, and they make a raw almond butter. (they also make raw tahini) Others brands I've tried are Once Again and Woodstock Farms, but I'm not sure if those are available everywhere. You can also get raw nut butters online. In fact I have seen several sites with really interesting raw nut butters, lik brazil nut, pumpkin seed, and pecan... they're expensive though. Do a search on "raw nut butters". A friend recently told me he makes his own almond butter in the blender. But you'd probably need a GOOD blender.

Last edited by sorrel2; 07-04-2005 at 04:25 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

I love bananas! The only way they would not be good for you is if you had High Potassium levels.

My grandma cannot eat them because of her high potassium levels.

Other than that, they have cancer fighting benefits and are very nutritious.

Last edited by xismybaby; 07-04-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

go ahead, eat bananas! nature intended us to eat them, they are healthy

eat them, and enjoy, good source of fiber and potassium

Last edited by Administrator; 10-27-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrel2
So racehorse, what's your opinion on bananas then? Okay as long as they're bufferred, as you say, with fat & protein?

There are plenty of raw almond butters. (are you in the U.S.?) I have tried several brands. Maranatha is a nationally available brand, and they make a raw almond butter. (they also make raw tahini) Others brands I've tried are Once Again and Woodstock Farms, but I'm not sure if those are available everywhere. You can also get raw nut butters online. In fact I have seen several sites with really interesting raw nut butters, lik brazil nut, pumpkin seed, and pecan... they're expensive though. Do a search on "raw nut butters". A friend recently told me he makes his own almond butter in the blender. But you'd probably need a GOOD blender.
Thanks for the brand tips ... I'll look for them. I don't eat nut butters often since I prefer nuts as they come, but raw butters are much to be preferred. I am skeptical of tropical fruit in general because of the high sugar content but I do eat it on occasion and think it is acceptable when eaten after a protein and fat meal or snack. BTW the potassium rationale for banana consumption is mostly a figment of the industries PR/Ad imagination.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xismybaby
I love bananas! The only way they would not be good for you is if you had High Potassium levels.

My grandma cannot eat them because of her high potassium levels.

Other than that, they have cancer fighting benefits and are very nutritious.

That (high potassium levels) is a new one on me. I don't recall encountering anyone with high levels, usually it's the other way round, too low.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
(female)

zeez HB User

Yummm! Bananas are so good smeared with chunky peanut butter. I don't eat much fruit but I do eat nanners for the potassium in them. When I was a kid I used to eat peanut butter and honey and banana sandwiches on toasted Orowheat wheatberry bread. Ahhh, the memories!
~zeez

Last edited by zeez; 07-05-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #15

a bear HB User

eat those fruits.

many are now saying to avoid the glycemic index because there are too many factors involved in it. look at carb sources as natural vs refined to make wise choices.

Closed Thread