It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 289
sorrel2 HB User
bananas

...a totally worthless fruit with a high glycemic index and practically no nutrients? Or not?

I like bananas and used to eat a lot of them. But I stopped eating them because of the high glycemic index. What do you guys think?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 118
nikki11 HB User
Re: bananas

hmm i dunno.. i was always told that a banana is like a meal on its own..

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 249
llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: bananas

they have lots of fiber, calcium, vitamin c, amino acids, and potassium. they're nutrient dense, filling, and delicious. unless you have a particular problem with blood sugar regulation (i.e. you're diabetic or something), i'd say eat one a day!
__________________
Go Vegan- For the Earth, Your Health, and the Animals!

 
Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 152
Nixona HB User
Re: bananas

Do they still consider one banana to be 2 servings?

 
Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,658
Losec20mg HB User
Re: bananas

i eat one or two bananas everyday..with almond butter..

 
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: bananas

Yeah, I don't care about the high glycemic values of bananas since they are a natural fruit that we are intended to eat.
Bananas are high in vitamin B6 and potassium. Sometimes I'll have 2 in one day!lol

 
Old 07-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 126
racehorse HB User
Re: bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
i eat one or two bananas everyday..with almond butter..
Way to go!! The almond butter buffers the sugar uptake with some fat ant protein, and almond avoids those really bad things in peanut butter. Now if I could just find an almond butter made with raw almonds.

 
Old 07-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
Way to go!! The almond butter buffers the sugar uptake with some fat ant protein, and almond avoids those really bad things in peanut butter. Now if I could just find an almond butter made with raw almonds.
At Whole Foods market they sell FRESHLY roasted nut butters, right from the nut itself, including almond butter.

 
Old 07-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 289
sorrel2 HB User
Re: bananas

So racehorse, what's your opinion on bananas then? Okay as long as they're bufferred, as you say, with fat & protein?

There are plenty of raw almond butters. (are you in the U.S.?) I have tried several brands. Maranatha is a nationally available brand, and they make a raw almond butter. (they also make raw tahini) Others brands I've tried are Once Again and Woodstock Farms, but I'm not sure if those are available everywhere. You can also get raw nut butters online. In fact I have seen several sites with really interesting raw nut butters, lik brazil nut, pumpkin seed, and pecan... they're expensive though. Do a search on "raw nut butters". A friend recently told me he makes his own almond butter in the blender. But you'd probably need a GOOD blender.

Last edited by sorrel2; 07-04-2005 at 04:25 PM.

 
Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: connecticut
Posts: 440
xismybaby HB User
Re: bananas

I love bananas! The only way they would not be good for you is if you had High Potassium levels.

My grandma cannot eat them because of her high potassium levels.

Other than that, they have cancer fighting benefits and are very nutritious.


Last edited by xismybaby; 07-04-2005 at 07:31 PM.

 
Old 07-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
Magnolia29 HB User
Re: bananas

go ahead, eat bananas! nature intended us to eat them, they are healthy

eat them, and enjoy, good source of fiber and potassium

Last edited by Administrator; 10-27-2011 at 04:36 AM.

 
Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 126
racehorse HB User
Re: bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrel2
So racehorse, what's your opinion on bananas then? Okay as long as they're bufferred, as you say, with fat & protein?

There are plenty of raw almond butters. (are you in the U.S.?) I have tried several brands. Maranatha is a nationally available brand, and they make a raw almond butter. (they also make raw tahini) Others brands I've tried are Once Again and Woodstock Farms, but I'm not sure if those are available everywhere. You can also get raw nut butters online. In fact I have seen several sites with really interesting raw nut butters, lik brazil nut, pumpkin seed, and pecan... they're expensive though. Do a search on "raw nut butters". A friend recently told me he makes his own almond butter in the blender. But you'd probably need a GOOD blender.
Thanks for the brand tips ... I'll look for them. I don't eat nut butters often since I prefer nuts as they come, but raw butters are much to be preferred. I am skeptical of tropical fruit in general because of the high sugar content but I do eat it on occasion and think it is acceptable when eaten after a protein and fat meal or snack. BTW the potassium rationale for banana consumption is mostly a figment of the industries PR/Ad imagination.

 
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 126
racehorse HB User
Re: bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xismybaby
I love bananas! The only way they would not be good for you is if you had High Potassium levels.

My grandma cannot eat them because of her high potassium levels.

Other than that, they have cancer fighting benefits and are very nutritious.

That (high potassium levels) is a new one on me. I don't recall encountering anyone with high levels, usually it's the other way round, too low.

 
Old 07-05-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 92
zeez HB User
Re: bananas

Yummm! Bananas are so good smeared with chunky peanut butter. I don't eat much fruit but I do eat nanners for the potassium in them. When I was a kid I used to eat peanut butter and honey and banana sandwiches on toasted Orowheat wheatberry bread. Ahhh, the memories!
~zeez

Last edited by zeez; 07-05-2005 at 06:20 AM.

 
Old 07-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 240
a bear HB User
Re: bananas

eat those fruits.

many are now saying to avoid the glycemic index because there are too many factors involved in it. look at carb sources as natural vs refined to make wise choices.
__________________
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."Albert Einstein

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Depression and ... bananas? Moldova Depression 8 09-13-2009 05:01 PM
I have eaten NOTHING but plain bananas and plain potatoes for the last 3 months numbcy Digestive Disorders 79 11-02-2008 08:44 AM
bananas and blood pressure. chile2 High & Low Blood Pressure 10 06-10-2008 07:01 AM
Bananas After Gallbladder Removed Allinasmile Gallbladder 9 11-01-2006 10:32 AM
Do bananas increase heart rate? lifeoriley High & Low Blood Pressure 8 10-16-2006 08:10 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!