It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Safe Snack Foods....

What are some safe snack foods to eat? Especially if you are watching calories, fat, and suger intake. Some i eat now are: fruit, pretzels, yogurt, light ice cream, baked chips, ff fig newton's..........

Old 07-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User
Re: Safe Snack Foods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
What are some safe snack foods to eat? Especially if you are watching calories, fat, and suger intake. Some i eat now are: fruit, pretzels, yogurt, light ice cream, baked chips, ff fig newton's..........
Well you started off great and then went down hill! LOL Fruit is good especially if you have it with some protein/fat source like raw tree nuts. Carry some vegetable sticks in a zip lock. A small piece of leftover dinner meat can be great. Avoid the high glycemic, insulin stimulating carbs and if you have read any of my other posts you would know that I don't consider dairy a food to eat. Good luck with the snacks and eat healthy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with yogurt or cottage cheese. They are both low in lactose and contain all of the essential amino acids our body needs. I'm now a big meat eater, so I find yogurt and cottage cheese to fill in the gaps to meet the requirements that are needed to obtain my protein intake.
Nuts are great(I like trail nuts)
Pretzels are okay, but for a healthy choice, not really. For a low fat snack that helps with cravings during dieting to lose weight, yeah, once and a while is alright.
Of course fruits and veggies
low fat popcorn
Beef jerkey
And there is nothing wrong with enjoying an ice cream cone once and a while(this is all my opinion of course)
As long as you aren't OVERDOSING on junk food. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your life a little by eating a low fat yogurt ice cream cone here and there(unless your lactose intolorant of course.) So yeah, indulge once and a while, enjoy life and be happy!
I feel that if you totally restrict yourself from your cravings, you'll just end up having a BASH eating party and feel guilty. I wouldn't give into them all the time though.

Last edited by Jess75; 07-06-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran

rach12 HB User

yea I agree with racehorse. The last part was kinda bad. Those foods say low fat and everything but it is still processed and not as good for you as fruit or veggies. Do not get me wrong if you want something bad but not too bad and less guilt go for the ff fig newtions or whatever they are better than cake or candy bar but veggies and fruit are the best snacks.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

Mmmmm yogurt

MMmmmmm raisins

Mmmmmm prestzels

Mmmmmm air popped popcorn

Mmmmmm fruit

Mmmmm baby carrots

Mmmmm crackers w/ cheese

Mmmmm peanuts in moderation lol

Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

o please...so what if we eat ice creamm, fig newtons, yogurt or w/e as snacks..if we keep it in moderation. like, do we want to go downhill and be orthorexic? no! haha

Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

this is the way you should eat

90% good real food
10% junk..--

I just bought some turkey jurkeys all natural..

No MSG's - No Sulfites - No Gluten..

turkey jurkeys from Mr.Grimms yum, i just ate like 6 of them ..
they are also extra extra lean..

Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg

90% good real food
10% junk..--

I just bought some turkey jurkeys all natural..

No MSG's - No Sulfites - No Gluten..

turkey jurkeys from Mr.Grimms yum, i just ate like 6 of them ..
they are also extra extra lean..
Hmmm, i'm lookin for those, LOL!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
(female)

fawn512 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg

90% good real food
10% junk..--
ok if you eat 10% junk everyday?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

i think these things in moderation are ok, partly becus if you totally deprive yourself of foods you really like, chances are you won't be able to swear it off forever and then before you know it you've just "binged" on 3 bags of peanuts or whatever and undone weeks of healthy eating.

Altho yogurt has a reputation as being "healthy," it can contain a lot of saturated dairy fat and sugars; it's not considered low glycemic. Raisins and other dried fruits, too, are loaded with sugars and you shouldn't overdo it there, either. My particular favorite snack used to be dried apricots, not the bland Mediterranean apricots but the California variety which is loaded with flavor. I haven't had them in ages as i'm trying to be more conscious of the glycemic index of foods i eat as a means of controlling my weight. Seems to be working.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Yeah your list started off ok but turned bad fast. You'll be amazed how many calories are in two little itty bitty tiny fig newtons...

Everyone has already offered enough great advice, good luck!

Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Yes, i meant these foods in moderation as well. Definately not all the time. Love all the idea's though............keep em coming....

Old 07-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
(male)

Texasborn HB User

It seems as if all the foods you listed are on the high glycemic index list except for the fruits and veggies. I would try to look out for carbs and sugars. Fig Newtons and pretzels are all processed foods so they raise you blood glucose fast and cause you to store fat. I would go with natural foods. Also fat and fiber stop you from having a high rise in blood glucose. If you want a list of low/medium/high foods go to these websites.

www.glycemicindex.com
or
www.mendosa.com

Closed Thread