It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

manda16 HB User
My diet

This is what I eat in a typical day:

Breakfast: Apple, Pineapple

Lunch: Toast with almond butter, lettuce, 1 tbs. Hemp seed, banana.

Supper: Quinoa, lettuce, 1 tbs. Hemp seed.

Desert: Fruit

Snack: Nuts, seeds, raisins, fruit.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or opinions.

Thanks,
Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: My diet

What kind of toast? Whole grain breads, etc...and what about meat or if youre a vegetarian, what about other protein sources. I mean its a very healthy diet, but not very balanced because youre eating basically all fruit! Not to meantion it isnt a LOT of food either! What is your goal in terms of weight or health?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
(female)

manda16 HB User

I am a vegan.
I am allergic to dairy products and eggs, and intolerant to meat.
I get about 40 grams of protein a day, from nuts, seeds, nut butters, quinoa and beans.
The bread I eat is sprouted kamut with nuts and sesame seeds. It contains no flower, wheat, dairy or preservatives.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

IMHO, even a pro-vegan dietician would not give their seal of approval to your regime. The only veggie I see is lettuce. Is that right? Even your selection of fruits is not the best from a nutritional standpoint. I hope your fruit dinner include berries on a regular basis.

Vegetarianism is not my thing, admittedly, but still, even if there are 40 grams of protein in your food (which is below even vegan recommendations for the average person), how much of that is balanced enough to be usable?

Old 07-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda16

Thanks,
Amanda

Yea this doesnt seem like alot of food

Like Auntjudy said" "the only veggie I see is lettuce"...You definitly need to incorporate more veggies into your diet.

I'm a Vegetarian, so I can understand where you are coming from. But you need to eat a little more.

You need to get your greens!

Broccoli is the best..you could add it to the pasta of your choice (Vegan pasta).

Protein:

"The average adult needs 8 grams of protein per 20 pounds of body weight. This equates to 45 to 70 grams of protein daily for most adult females and males, respectively. Yet, we generally consume twice that much."

incorporate some beans into your diet as well...

Old 07-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

Hi Manda, from a fellow vegan.

It's a little hard to "judge" your diet, because we don't know what quantities of food you are eating or what your caloric needs are (based on things like your age, activity level, height and weight, body type, etc). But, to me, it looks like a good start that you can use to build a healthy diet.

Whether you are eating two or three nuts a day or eating a handful of them will make a big difference in terms of calories, protein, and essential fatty acids you're getting. Nuts are an excellent food, as are seeds. Cool you're onto them. Quinoa and kamut are high in protein and easy to digest. The types of foods you are eating make it basically fool-proof that you will get plenty of protein *as long as you consume an adequate number of calories* made up of these foods. It would be virtually impossible not to.

I'd suggest adding a few things: veggies, especially green leafy vegetables (kale, chard, spinach, bok choy). you don't tell us what kind of lettuce greens you have with your quinoa, but there is a difference. Also, you probably know that greens like arugula, endive, romaine, butterleaf lettuce, baby spinach, etc have more nutrients than iceburg lettuce. So adding or replacing with those might be a good idea. Also, a little Red Star nutritional yeast sprinkled onto your quinoa would give it a lovely "cheesy"/nutty taste and some added protein, zinc, iron, and a dose of B vitamins, including B12.

If you like beans/legumes/lentils, they are very good for you and rich in fiber, too. Also, soy is a complete protein, and can be consumed in many different ways. Adding a glass of soymilk or some tempeh into your repertoire wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think if you're eating enough calories, you're doing pretty well already.

One more thing: variety is good, so don't be afraid to shake things up a little every now and then. Try a new fruit or vegetable, cook up some spelt berries instead of quinoa, etc. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda16

Thanks,
Amanda

Old 07-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
(male)

diet155 HB User

Search "soy danger" before you decide to eat soy in any of it's many processed forms.

Closed Thread