It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
(male)

DarkChange HB User
How can you get your daily vitamins if fruits and veggies have so little of it...?

Out of curiousity I looked up nutrition facts of a tomato yesterday and I was shocked that vegetables have so little vitamins in them...how do people manage to live healthy that way, by eating like 30 tomatoes a day or something? My mom always tells me to eat the salad she makes and when I refuse she just tells me thats im going to get sick that way...but what better is salad than a vitamin supplement?

Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: How can you get your daily vitamins if fruits and veggies have so little of it...?

One food source is not going to provide everything. Check the green leafy veggies (kale, spinach, etc. - not lettuce) - they are real nutritional powerhouses; broccoli; berries; etc. Veggies, in general, tend to have a wider range of nutrients and relatively higher levels of them than fruits. And eat a minimum of 7 servings a day now recommended on the new food pyramid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User
Re: How can you get your daily vitamins if fruits and veggies have so little of it...?

vegetables are better than a vitamin supplement in my view because they provide essential fibre, to help keep your digestive system healthy

Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

DarkChanges,
Vitamins and Minerals are needed by the body in exceedingly small amounts but these amounts are a matter of life or death.
With the growth of the supplement industry over the last several decades, many people have come to believe, with judicious advertising, that they need 2, 10, 100 or even a THOUSAND times the amount of these micronutrients that they really do.
If most "health gurus" are to beleived, mankind could not possibly have survived for billions of years because they couldn;t POSSIBLY get what they needed "without GNC and Vitamin Shoppe, and Weider!"
But here we ARE!

Old 07-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
(male)

DarkChange HB User
Re: How can you get your daily vitamins if fruits and veggies have so little of it...

uh huh. I guess that clears it up...

So 7 times a day and not at once. Oh and, how would the spinach and broccoili be served best? I know not raw but isnt it true that if you cook or bake it that they vitamins and minerals go out? Just something I always wondered.

Last edited by DarkChange; 07-09-2005 at 08:50 PM.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
(female)

shellbee HB User

I eat plenty of fruit i.e. smoothies, blueberries, apples, kiwi but I rarerly eat vegetables because vegetables have to be eaten with a meal

Old 07-10-2005, 01:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

A salad with tomato and cucumber is not all that great-especially with the dressing. Here is how I get my veggies.
Frozen mixed vegatables, and add a bag of frozen lima beans(high fiber).
Steam 1-2 cups with around 5-10 frozen brocolli florets and eat. Also cooked tomatoes are more better than plain. Eats lots of sphagetti sauce. I also take a MVI.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbee
I eat plenty of fruit i.e. smoothies, blueberries, apples, kiwi but I rarerly eat vegetables because vegetables have to be eaten with a meal
So, do you not eat meals? But even at that, why must vegetables be eaten with a meal? (What do you consider a meal?) TIA!

Old 07-15-2005, 03:20 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding
vegetables are better than a vitamin supplement in my view because they provide essential fibre, to help keep your digestive system healthy
they are also advantageous over supplements in that the nutients in food work synergestically (as a team) naturally. a vitamin supplement cannot recreate this effect. they also contain pytochemicals, vitamin like substances that have many health giving properties many anti-cancer agents. with the exception of the bio-flavanoids these cannot be bought in supplement form so the only source is food.

alex.

Old 07-15-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
One food source is not going to provide everything. Check the green leafy veggies (kale, spinach, etc. - not lettuce) - they are real nutritional powerhouses; broccoli; berries; etc. Veggies, in general, tend to have a wider range of nutrients and relatively higher levels of them than fruits. And eat a minimum of 7 servings a day now recommended on the new food pyramid.
Yeah, but how many people eat like this? Furthermore, who even has the time? Nowadays, most people work and are so busy running around that they are in an eat and run mode the whole time.

Old 07-15-2005, 03:36 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
DarkChanges,
Vitamins and Minerals are needed by the body in exceedingly small amounts but these amounts are a matter of life or death.
With the growth of the supplement industry over the last several decades, many people have come to believe, with judicious advertising, that they need 2, 10, 100 or even a THOUSAND times the amount of these micronutrients that they really do.
If most "health gurus" are to beleived, mankind could not possibly have survived for billions of years because they couldn;t POSSIBLY get what they needed "without GNC and Vitamin Shoppe, and Weider!"
But here we ARE!
for the AVERAGE person this may be true. the thing is that primitive man didn't have to put with the stress of modern day living. i doubt he suffered from ailments such as clinical depression or anxiety. for people who do, mega doses of water soluble vitamins (the others cannot be taken in mega doses as they are fat soluble and so become toxic over time) can prove to very beneficial in teating their conditions. it would be hard for the AVERAGE person (i hate that word) to eat enough b-rich and vit c rich food to get the extra amounts they need. taking supplements for THEM is necessary; they are not merely victims of clever marketing.
two examples spring to mind. in one study, HIV sufferers were given 40 grams of vit c. their urine was tested for vit c and very little amounts were found in the urine. since any excess not needed by the body is excreted in the urine then this means that the sufferers needed that extra amount. i pose the question: how many oranges would a person needing 40 grams of vit c have to eat in an a day? incidentally, some of the sufferers actually found that their HIV disappeared! secondly, concentration camp POWs after WW2 found that without mega doses of niacin they experienced the syptoms of clinical depression. with the doses the symptoms vanished.

alex.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Alex,

Don't underestimate the stress that man was under before the age of sitting in a six-way reclininging seat and being rolled in air conditioning to ones' destination; or driving to the supermarket to select a week's food, without having to fight hyenas for it.
Paying the bill for central heating might be stressful but having to go out in a blizzard to gather a few twigs to burn to get the cave above 40 degrees might be considered as SLIGHTLY stressful. And of course, when PLAGUE, smallpox, famine, tuberculosis, malaria, typhoid, typhus, yellow fever, scarlet fever visited your town a couple times a century, you couldn't just drive to the shore-house to avoid rid of it unless the king was a member of your extended family.
"Modern-day- stress": just WORDS in my book...Western man has never HAD it so unstressful. In fact, it's the diseases of UNstress that kill us now, gluttony with its attendant obesity, and sloth...."Honey, next time let's buy a mower with a SELF-start engine; it's a chore to pull that rope!"

Of all the data ever presented, perhaps the data I distrust the most are the studies that tied mega-dosing of Vitamin C with curing AIDS...someone should have been jailed for that, because those lies KILLED people...and probably are continuing to kill people who are gullible enough to self medicate with hoodoo vitamins and avoid cocktail therapy.
In truth, I just don't BELIEVE the results of that often repeated 40 gram Vitamin C story.
Do you have any idea who DID that study? Maybe you can help me put a stake in that urban legend!

Of course, you are correct when you say there is no average person. There are SOME people with higher needs and there are SOME cases where many times the RDA is needed for certain conditions. I am thinking of Folic Acid (homocysteine), or CURING certain long standing deficiencies...like rickets, scurvy, beri-beri, kwashiorkor and plain long-term calorie defieciency. But these are diseases of malnutrition; rare in this land of super-nutrition.

The average person will get the RDA from a decent, approaching good, diet and the RDA has a safety factor to take care of most of the non-average cases.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-15-2005 at 04:43 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

you smell

Old 07-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

there must be some kinda vitamin you can take for that too smelly belly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ratboy83; 07-15-2005 at 09:07 AM.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
there must be some kinda vitamin you can take for that too smelly belly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is inappropraite in a time like this, this is a serious matter and conflict of opnion. I am sorry, that was my partner, he is often silly like this.

I haven't got time to write a detailed response yet, but I will tomorrow.

My apologises again,

alex.

Closed Thread