It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

sorrel2 HB User
back again, need help

Hi... some of you probably remember my previous posts about my bizarre situation. Basically I eat practically nothing but gain weight like there's no tomorrow. To make a long (and strange) story short ... I am never hungry, I usually feel nauseous and extremely "full." I hate eating now, it is extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant and eating more than tiny bits is impossible. Meanwhile I have gained 40lbs in the past few months & apparently am still gaining. So even if I wanted to eat, I'd be terrified to eat because this weight gain has made me super-paranoid about food. I just made an appointment with a nutritionist... it's in a couple weeks but I'm thinking of cancelling, since the last thing I need right now is to fork over a lot of money to have yet another medical professional tell me I must be lying because this makes no sense. So I figured I'd see what you guys would have to say. Hey, at least it's free. This is my typical daily intake at the moment. I'm open to any suggestions. I am aiming for high-nutrient-density foods, low-glycemic.

1/2 - 1 c. plain lowfat kefir or yogurt
1/2 - 1 c. berries (or sometimes 1/2 a grapefruit instead)
1 tblsp ground flaxseed or hempseed
2 tblsp protein powder (made from hempseeds)
2 tblsp powdered "green superfood" supplement
around 2 c. salad greens (lettuce, spinach, escarole etc), or 2 c. steamed veggies (broccoli, green beans or zucchini)
1 tsp olive oil or flaxseed oil
Usually a tomato and/or a cucumber or 2
some lemon juice and/or apple cider vinegar
1 tblsp nutritional yeast

Depending on how sick I feel and how much exercise I've done, I might add other stuff like: 1/2 - 1 whole banana, 1/2 - 1 tblsp almond butter or tahini; 1 tblsp pumpkin seeds or walnuts, 1 egg white, 1/4 c cottage cheese with active cultures, or a tiny bit of raw goat's milk feta cheese.

I was vegan for several years so the dairy stuff is a new addition. I am still abivalent about it. I also never used to like processed things like protein powder, but this is a different situation now...

I am not really looking for ideas on losing weight (that's obviously a lost cause; I've given up) or diagnostic speculations (I am already seeing doctors, having tests, researching my butt off to try to figure this out) but rather, just your opinion on whether this is a healthy diet under the circumstances, and if you think there's anything I should remove or add, and whether I should eat less or more.

Last edited by sorrel2; 07-09-2005 at 05:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
(female)

MOMMY3 HB User
Re: back again, need help

I think you need to eat more. If you don't eat enough, i think there is something about the body stoppping burning fat and lowering the metabolism. Maybe try eating more solid foods like grilled chicken, broccoli, carrots, grapes, apples, etc..........more foods that have some substance to them rather than litte seeds and powders.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think it is a tolerable diet for fast weight loss over several months. For long term nutrition I think is is calorically deficient, and probably protein deficient.

Have you scrupulaously calculated your average caloric intake over a reasonable period of time? That single number will tell you a great deal.

I agree with your feeling about cancelling the nutritionist's appointmenent. Rarely are they worth the time or money for anyone who is even SLIGHTLY versed in food value!

Last edited by Lenin; 07-09-2005 at 07:25 AM.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

You seem to be definetly in a starvation mode, it seems strange that you would be gaining.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredqs
You seem to be definetly in a starvation mode, it seems strange that you would be gaining.
Yes but when the body is in "starvation mode" the natural mechanism the body has is to hold on to fat cells for "emergencies". ANd once that person that's starving themselves eats 'regularly" then the weight gain starts to occur and it's just a never ending process.(yo yoing whatever you want to call it). THe best idea is to eat 5-6 small meals daily and choose smart, low fat healthy items to keep the metabolism sustained and running properly. Maybe the poster could list all the foods that she eats, since she mentions that she does choose dietary restrictions.
Sorrel, did you ever hear about the benefits of coconut oil for the weight loss?

Last edited by Jess75; 07-10-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Hey Jessica, I have read about coconut oil, and for a while I was eating a teaspoon or so a day. It's pretty expensive though, and I figure I don't really need the concentrated fat. Anyway, I did list what I am eating usually. I eat pretty much all green vegetables, and most fruits, but I try to stay with the lower-glycemic fruits. I am currently eating small amounts of cultured dairy products. I eat raw nuts/nut butters, and seeds. Right now I am not eating grains; however I am open to suggestions. I am not sure about legumes and starchy vegetables, which I used to eat tons of. I haven't been eating them lately but again, I am open to other ideas so let me know what you think. BTW I don't really believe in this "starvation mode" everyone talks about. Yes, there is SOME reduction in basal metabolic rate under starvation conditions, but not significantly enough to actually cause weight gain when eating so little. I mean, let's face it here ... do people in REAL famine situations get fat because they are going into "starvation mode"? No. If you diet severely and then suddenly return to your former eating habits, yes you'll gain because of the reduction in metablism. However that isn't the case here (I'm still eating way below my basal energy needs.) Also this metabolism-lowering effect of starvation is preventable with exercise, and as mentioned, I already exercise a lot. I definitely can't explain what's going on, and apparently neither can anyone else at least so far. But that's beside the point...

Oh, and I definitely don't eat enough to split it into 5-6 meals a day, unless each "meal" is literally a bite or so. I currently eat twice a day.

Last edited by sorrel2; 07-10-2005 at 06:22 PM.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

But see, since you are exercising and not taking IN enough calories, then you could stall weight loss due to the body resorting to muscle for fuel which could cause fatigue, low metabolism rate, and so forth. A slower metabolism can cause weight loss problems as we all know, lol. But what I'm saying is, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn due to the body NEEDING calories to supplment the synthesis of muscle. You could go on a starvation diet, do all the cardio that you want, and have a very hard time losing weight...that's why weight training is highly recommended to beat that yoyoing effect that many of us know about. And being that you are a vegan, your body may require MORE protien, but I really didn't count your total intake. You should be getting at least .8 gr of protein per pound of body weight. I'm feeling like you already know this though. When you don't fufill the caloric needs that your body strives to attain,(usually AT LEAST 1200 cals) then like I said muscle is lost and then problems with the metabolism usually occur. I'm just saying this is what I've read although as you and many of us know, there is SO much conflicting infor out there, lol. But there is some validity that not eating enough could stall weight loss. IN MY OPINION, I would say that you may need some more protein sources and some carbs so you don't feel so tired. Maybe you could try quiona, oatmeal, or amaranth? I love to eat a scoop of my whey shake IN my oatmeal. Because the body DOES need complex carbs for energy ESPECIALLY if your active. Did you ever think about whey protein, or some brown rice. I'm not a big meat eater at all, but I do supplment my protein with whey shakes, a can of tuna here and there, cottage cheese and yogurt.ect What about soy? Soy DOES have a lot of controversey but let's face it, one person will say eating meat is bad and the other says soy is bad and usually the one who doesn't eat meat chooses soy products. i'm sure you side with one or the other. I hope that made sense,lol. But, it sounds like you've tried everything and you know your stuff. I'm sorry if you already mentioned in the original post but did you ever get your thyroid checked? I'm gonna read it again to make sure, lol. If you did mention it, forget that I said it, LOL. sorry

Edit: Yes, you did mention the fact that you've gotten tests done, but you didn't particularly specify a thyroid test, but i'm sure that's what you were referring to.

Last edited by Jess75; 07-11-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

sorrel,
It is not possible for an ambulatory human being to eat 250 calories a day for seven months and gain weight, much less gain 40 pounds. Someone dying of liver and kidney failure MIGHT gain 40 pounds of water-weight in the last several weeks of life but that really takes care of the realm of possibility.

If you tell this to anyone in the medical profession, the first thing he will recommend is psychiatry! Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorrell,
You aren't getting enough calories, period. ANd I've been reading these boards for quite some time and situations like yours are usually related to stalled weight loss. Although this MAY not be your situation, it was just a SUGGESTION!!!!
And I think that you should seek professional advice since you seem to think your routine is "okay." NO, i'm NOT a professional, but I've been reading these boads for a while, like I said, and learned a lot. You should know not to take this advice seriously, but it's just for getting "ideas." I never said that I was right but I was just trying to help and I'm sorry that I did!!
And you didn't mention that one of the tests were thyroid, but I DID say you probably got that tested. So obviously, it's something your doing. I'm sorry that YOUR sorry that you even asked!

Last edited by Jess75; 07-11-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #10
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Thanks Jessica. I really do appreciate your advice and will try some of your previous suggestions, like maybe adding some oatmeal or brown rice or amaranth. Sorry about being snippy in my previous post -- as you can imagine, this whole situation has me extremely frustrated. I am indeed just looking for "ideas" and not serious advice. Yes, I have had my thyroid tested. One question for you... you mentioned whey protein. Is this somehow preferable to other forms of protein powder? I've tried a few kinds, but not whey yet. I am currently using a hempseed type because it also contains a lot of fiber.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrel2
Thanks Jessica. I really do appreciate your advice and will try some of your previous suggestions, like maybe adding some oatmeal or brown rice or amaranth. Sorry about being snippy in my previous post -- as you can imagine, this whole situation has me extremely frustrated. I am indeed just looking for "ideas" and not serious advice. Yes, I have had my thyroid tested. One question for you... you mentioned whey protein. Is this somehow preferable to other forms of protein powder? I've tried a few kinds, but not whey yet. I am currently using a hempseed type because it also contains a lot of fiber.
Hi Sorrel,
I figured you were a little peturbed by your situation and it is understandable and must be merely frustrating. Whey protein is low in lactose and some brands say there is no lactose at all, and has immunoglubulins in it which is essential for immunity, and also has the highest biological value that our body can assimilate, i.e. the fastest absorption. Also, whey protein is derived from milk which has 80% casein and 20% whey and whey protien is the primary protein source of human milk and if cows milk were the other way around(80%whey and 20% casein) then there wouldn't be so many problems with digestion(in humans.) It's definitely a high quality protein. The kind that I highly recommend is "Designer" whey protein that is flavored with stevia with NO artificial flavorings. Although there are TONS of others. Another kind that is good is made from a brand called "Naturade" that is sold in heath food stores. I see that you do already consume enought EFA's which is good. I highly recommend fish oil for myself but all the flax you consume seems good. I hope this helps.

Oh, do you drink green tea?

Last edited by Jess75; 07-11-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Now that i'm thinking about this situation, I thought that she said something about going back to "normal" eating during this stavation phase, I must have read it wrong. But for ONLY eating 250 calories and gaining weight obviously SIGNIFIES a major problem, especially if you aren't losing weight. I thought for some reason that you said that you eat normal some days, forgive me. But something isn't right about eating 250 calories AND gaining weight, obviously. It's very dangerous and I have heard of situations where people stopped losing weight from cutting calories drastically, but for eating 250 calories this long, I dunno, it IS a mystery and I really think a professional should help you with this one.

NO matter what though, I would go back to eating AT LEAST 1200 calories a day, and you may gain a few pounds but keep it at that number and get some professional advice because 250 cals a day is dangerous.

Last edited by Jess75; 07-11-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Closed Thread