It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

healthy2b HB User
Chromium Picolinate-Current Magazine Article

I just read in a popular woman's magazine about the benefits of adding Chromium Picolinate 800 mcg. to your dialy multi-vitamin and the wonderful benefits to loosing weight with it and that it's PERFECTLY 100% safe.

Of course I am not dumb, I know you have to change your lifestyle and there is no magic potion!

I am already lightly exercising, radically changed my diet, adding organic healthier veggies, fruits, lean meats, salads, drink tons of water and 4 cups of green tea daily and while the weight loss is slow and healthy which is how I want it, it's definitely working so far, but was wondering if adding the CP like the article recco's would be safe and perhaps make it faster!

The best change I made is cutting out ALL fast food and sugary drinks, and drinking the water and green tea and FF milk, and just eating healthy...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
(female)

Roxanne1959 HB User
Re: Chromium Picolinate-Current Magazine Article

The best natural supplement I found for weight lose. is Selenium, Promise it really helps. I take 400 mcg a day. Flax seed oil tablets as well 1200. It made a big differents with the two of them. Havn't tried the chromium. How is working for you? Roxy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

chromium is totally safe... it's just a mineral that your body needs anyway. It is supposed to improve insulin sensitivity. So, it's esp. helpful if you have insulin resistance or are at risk of type 2 diabetes. There have been "real" medical journal articles published on this topic, so it definitely has some verified ability to improve insulin response. Which is not to say it will help you lose weight, because insulin resistance might not be your problem. It's worth taking, though.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

healthy2b HB User

Thanks guys, I just started it a few days ago so not sure yet of anything, but I've done further research and can't find a bad thing about it, so I will give it a shot.

As I've said, I watch what I eat, drink the green tea, take very good quality vitamins, and drink tons of water.

I'll see if it helps and post again!
Thanks,

Old 07-12-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Maybe a consideration:
Quote:
Trouble with picolinate

Chromium supplements come in several forms, never as pure chromium. You can buy chromium picolinate, chromium chloride, chromium nicotinate, and high-chromium yeast. Nicotinate and picolinate seem more easily absorbed than the others. There have been safety concerns about chromium picolinate, however, since laboratory studies have found that it could damage genetic material in animal cells, which suggests it might cause cancer. It seems to be the combination of chromium and picolinate that’s the potential problem, not the chromium alone. Of course, what happens in a test tube or in lab animals might not happen in the human body. But the bottom line is that nobody knows whether chromium supplements, particularly in large doses over the long term, are safe or effective.

Where to get your chromium

The best and safest source of chromium is food. Whole grains, ready-to-eat bran cereals, seafood, green beans, broccoli, prunes, nuts, peanut butter, and potatoes are rich in chromium. Sugary foods are low in this mineral and may even promote chromium loss; vitamin C may increase its absorption. Don’t exceed the amount in multivitamin/mineral pills—20 to 120 micrograms—which preferably should not be in the form of chromium picolinate.

UC Berkeley Wellness Letter
Perhaps that 100% safe number should be shaved a little. People in my town have been hospitalized with chromium poisioning...some died, and most school children have had to be tested for excess levels in certain parts of town. Some people DO NOT need extra chromium.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
(female)

healthy2b HB User

WOW WOW WOW...what great information. It's amazing how these women's magazines never tell you that stuff and they reco'd 800 mcg. daily!

Thank you so much for replying. That was very good information and I will research this further.

THANKS SO MUCH.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Healthy2B,

The type of chromium poisoning that Lenin is referring to is in no way related to chromium picolinate. The kind of chromium which is hazardous largely comes from industrial processes, and is known as hexavalent chromium. This type of chromium can cause cancer. But industrial chromium has nothing to do with chromium picolinate, nor can chromium picolinate change into industrial chromium inside the body.

Chromium picolinate has been unfairly given a black eye because of a controversial 1995 study. In that study, chromium picolinate caused chromosome damage in hamster ovarian cells in test-tube experiments. This result wasn't particularly surprising, since the amount of chromium that was applied directly to these cells was 3,000 times the blood level of people who take chromium picolinate supplements. Very few essential minerals tested in this way would pass.

The standard test for determining whether chemicals cause cancer is the Ames test, an experiment in which a chemical is added to five different types of bacteria that reproduce rapidly and show adverse changes in their offspring. Chromium picolinate has been independently tested using the Ames test and has passed with flying colors.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
(female)

healthy2b HB User

More great information again!

It is just so confusing b/c you never what or who to believe and there is so much different information out there.

I guess I will go back to my original plan, which is the simplest, what you put in is what you end up with, therefore cutting out junk food, fast food and just eating healthy is what's important. I eat lots of salads, fresh fruit, whole grains, wild salmon, take high grade pharm grade bio-available vitamins, water, green tea, lean meats, limited carbs and sugar and just eat sensibly I will lose weight. I just thought maybe the chrom pic would speed things up.

I am NOT at all a religious person, but try to remember the basics, eat what
g-d put on the planet before foods were filled with pesticides, growth hormones etc., and preservatives etc., and I just try to eat healthy, organic meats and dairy and if I want salsa, I make it myself, or guacomole, or tomato sauce etc.

It's amazing how you can make homemade stuff with 5 fresh ingredients and then look at the label on store bought and it's filled with fat, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, and all sorts of things that you don't even recognize......

Anyway, I am rambling......thanks for the information though. It was very helpful..I will stop fooling myself and looking for any shortcuts, and just do it the right way, eat sensibly, exercise and take care of myself...

On that note, goodnight! LOL...

Old 07-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Sounds like my dentist saying that the type of mercury he wants to stick in my mouth is GOOD mercury but that all the OTHER mercury in the world is a deadly poison. Gee, how best to get rid of a deadly environmental poisin, why stick it in people's MOUTHS, of course...at least it's not killing fish?????????

THe human body and bacterial flora can READILY oxidize one "valency" of most chemicals to another. Almost akin to saying that if arsenic is colored BLUE it's fine because white arsenic kills. You can BET that some trivalent chromium becomes hexavalent in vitro; just because supplement companies aren't required to TEST for dangerous reactions in their products does not mean they don't happen. The industry is NOT government regulated like drug companies are.

Supplemetation of most any mineral that is 7 to 140 times the highest RDA is plain dangerous and foolish and to do it for some unproven weight-loss claims stresses the limits of credulity!
Of course anyone who wants to ingest chromium, mercury, lead, DDT or arsenic is free to do so. You don't even need a prescription for these biological poisons!

Last edited by Lenin; 07-14-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Chromium is an essential mineral, and getting enough of it in our diet is vitally important to our overall health and well-being. Chromium helps the blood sugar lowering hormone, insulin, function more efficiently. Insulin is the master hormone of our metabolism. It regulates the body's breakdown of carbohydrates, protein, and fats for energy. The better insulin functions, the better the body functions. By helping insulin work more effectively, chromium helps combat such problems as diabetes, obesity, prediabetes, hypoglycemia, unhealthy cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, Syndrome X, and heart disease.

As many as 90% of Americans don't receive adequate amounts of chromium in their diets. Research from the USDA found that most people don't obtain the minimum 50mcg of chromium from their daily diets. Men average 33mcg of chromium per day in their diets and women average 25mcg per day. With such a low dietary intake, it shouldn't be surprising that the incidences of insulin-related health conditions such as type II diabetes and obesity are at all-time highs. To further add insult to injury, Americans eat excessive amounts of sugar and refined grains, which deplete chromium levels.

Closed Thread