HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Foods for the Heart,and to help lower blood pressure? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/303599-foods-heart-help-lower-blood-pressure.html)

StanTheMan 07-12-2005 11:49 PM

Foods for the Heart,and to help lower blood pressure?

Is there any specific foods that can help rejuvenate my heart and help lower my blood pressure?I'm currently starting my working out plan and I want to help fix my heart from years of abuse.My families have a bad history of heart attacks(on both sides)and I don't want to be the next victim.

Any info would be appreciated

Dawn36 07-13-2005 06:17 AM

Re: Foods for the Heart,and to help lower blood pressure?

Don't know how exactly you feel you've abused your heart, but if your family has a history of heart attacks (or stroke for htat matter) then you should be on a diet that emphasizes healthy fats (olive oil, canola oil, nuts, lean meats, skinless poultry and fish), fruit and vegetables and steer clear of baked goods, red meat and high saturated fats. This will keep your arteries from clogging up.

No one food is a magic bullet; everything that goes down your gullet counts!

Lenin 07-13-2005 06:34 AM

Stan,

Let me add FISH, FISH, FISH and less salt!

Jess75 07-13-2005 08:22 AM

I also read that celery was good for lowering blood pressure(more significant, although all veggies are good). And drink lots of water, and like Lenin said, cut down on the salt.

StanTheMan 07-13-2005 08:49 AM

Dawn..... I'm 80 pounds over weight and I lived on take-out for like the past 10 years,that's what I meant when I said abused my heart.I want to know if my heart can repair itself from any half clogged arteries?

LeninIs.....Is salmon and tuna a good fish food to eat?

thanks for the info guys,I'm taking it all in so keep it coming please.

sorrel2 07-13-2005 08:58 AM

Atherosclerosis is definitely reversible through diet. The diet that has been proven to reverse arterial damage was pioneered by Dr. Dean Ornish (he wrote a couple books on the subject, so you should look them up on Amazon or something.) It is an extremely low-fat (less than 10% calories from fat), low-salt, vegetarian diet. I am not so sure about the use of this diet for long-term health, since it seems to be lacking in essential fatty acids, among other things. But for short-term use for reversing atherosclerosis, this is what has been proven to work. For longer-term heart health I'd say probably a Mediterranean type diet is better, which is pretty much what everyone else has said (moderate-fat, mostly monounsaturated, lots of veggies, low in grain products.)

llamamuffinmama 07-13-2005 08:59 AM

garlic is supposed to be good for lowering high blood pressure. Also, oats/oatmeal and other high fiber low fat foods. flax seeds and walnuts are good sources of essential fatty acids, and unlike meat/fish/poultry/eggs/dairy don't have any cholesterol. lots of fiber, lots of water, exercise, and proper sleep should get you far.

StanTheMan 07-13-2005 10:48 AM

sorrel2....I'm relieved that I can reverse the damage I will definitly look at getting one of Dr. Dean Ornish books.

I hear aspirin and a beer a day can be good for the heart, is it true?

llamamuffinmama 07-13-2005 10:01 PM

In addition to Dean Ornish's books, check out Neal Barnard's and also "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell. Also, the Framingham Heart Study is a good resource.

llamamuffinmama 07-13-2005 10:12 PM

Also, to speak from personal experience, it is not "dogma" that dropped my cholesterol by over 150 points and stabilized my blood pressure. It's the fact that I ate smarter after going vegan, and my body thanked me accordingly.

I have an uncle who had a second heart attack two years ago (as a meat eater. certainly there are genetic factors at play) at a comparatively young age, and since reducing his animal product consumption to almost none (perhaps a piece of broiled fish once a month, but not more) has amazed his doctors by his improvements. Likewise his brother, my dad, has gone the same route after working with doctors for a few years to try and control his cholesterol levels and to avoid heart-related problems... he went and saw the doctor after eating this way for two months, and the doctor said, "whatever you are doing, KEEP DOING IT" so he's avoided any further medical intervention.

real research into reputable epidemiological studies focusing on heart disease will bear out the correlation between high fiber, low fat, veg diets and greatly reduced risk of heart conditions. i definitely encourage you to look into the books/authors i mentioned above and others for this kind of information. it's been invaluable to a lot of people.

StanTheMan 07-14-2005 09:13 PM

Thanks for all of your info,I really do appreciate it.I'm going monday to see my doctor,I've been having this weird pressure around my heart area and when I lose my temper I get headaches which is why I came hear hoping to fix the problem without having to see the doctor but my brother convinced me to get checked out.. so I am.

Thanks again for all of your info,it will definitely help me going forward...

FrontierDriver2 07-18-2005 06:32 PM

StanTheMan, what did you find out about the "weird pressure" from your doctor? How are you doing with your lifestyle changes?

LS289 07-18-2005 07:26 PM

Pizza can actually be a very well-balanced meal if you choose it right. If you get veggie pizza with light cheese and all the veggies, it's great! The place down the street from me piles on the veggies and puts just a small amount of cheese on and the pizza is extremely good and good FOR you!!

On the other hand, I saw a commercial last night for this cheese stuffed crust hamburger pizza (aka heart attack city) and it looked like about 5,000 calories per slice! Loads of cheese, ground beef, and hardly any vegetables. And to put cheese in the CRUST, as well?!? To me that is just overkill!

Good luck - sorry my answer wasn't more straight forward. I guess you'll just have to use your own good judgement....meaning if you can see your face gleaming in the pool of grease on the surface of the pizza, steer clear!