It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 AM   #1
(male)

Makkankosappo HB User
Questions about fibrous carbs and weight loss...

Now, I know that if I eat sugary carbs or starchy carbs before bedtime, those carbs will likely be stored as fat. But what about fibrous carbs? I've read in numerous sources that fibrous carbs (broccoli, green beans, cauliflower) can be eaten anytime of the day at unlimited amounts even when trying to lose fat. In the past, whenever I've tried to drop fat, I did it successfully, but I was almost always hungry...especially at night. When they say fibrous carbs can be eaten in unlimited amounts anytime of the day, do they really mean ANY time? Like...right before bed? Say I get hungry and have troubles falling asleep with a growling stomach. Can I get up and devour 5 plates of broccoli & cauliflower florets and not worry about it slowing or sabotaging my progress?

Old 07-13-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User
Re: Questions about fibrous carbs and weight loss...

I think what you have to remember is that when trying to loose weight a calorie in is a calorie out. If you are consuming more calories than you are burning then you will ultimately gain weight as those extra calories will be stored as fat. Regardless of where the calories are coming from.
Veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower are very, very low in calories compared to something with fat and that is why they are eaten in large quantities. Plus the fiber fills you up.
However, if you are hungry at night and cannot sleep you are not eating enough calories during the day. What you should be eating is protein as that will hold you much longer and help you sleep. Lean protein such as a few slices of turkey breast lunch meat or some ham. If you don't eat meat try eating some cottage cheese. I remember when I was dieting I would wake up at three in the morning absolutely starving so instead of going and eating anything in sight, I would measure out 1/4 cup cottage cheese and have it ready 'just in case'.
Protein will fill you up and help you sleep. The veggies are good too but chances are you will wake up a couple of hours later hungry again.
Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

I wouldn't recommend the turkey breast cold cuts or ham since they're process meats, and full of nitrites, a known carcinogen.

You'd feel full long before you had to worry about accruing too many calories from eating fruits/vegetables, even at bedtime.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #4
(female)

Dawn36 HB User

I wouldn't recommend the turkey breast cold cuts or ham since they're processed meats, and full of nitrites, a known carcinogen.

You'd feel full long before you had to worry about accruing too many calories from eating fruits/vegetables, even at bedtime.

Closed Thread