It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Daily calories....

I try to stay at 1200-1600 calories a day. This is my problem...i want to lose 15-20lbs. I do cardio 6 days a week....probably dont get enough protein and fiber....but.....when i am around 1200 cal, i am soooo hungry! Im probably not eating the right foods. I dont know what to eat to = 1200-1400 cal a day without feeling hungry! Can someone help?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
(female)

jade112 HB User
Re: Daily calories....

Princess 72-

You should post a typical day of what you eat and I am sure the experts here can give you some great advice. And also if you feel like you prolly arent eating enuff protien and fiber you prolly right. I do know that whole grain and high fiber foods are more filling and if you eat frequently throughout the day you will have less a chance of feeling sooo hungary at any given meal.

Good Luck and post what you ate today.

- Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
(male)

MrPaul HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
I try to stay at 1200-1600 calories a day. This is my problem...i want to lose 15-20lbs. I do cardio 6 days a week....probably dont get enough protein and fiber....but.....when i am around 1200 cal, i am soooo hungry! Im probably not eating the right foods. I dont know what to eat to = 1200-1400 cal a day without feeling hungry! Can someone help?
Hi princess72,

Why do you approach weight loss by calorie restriction? Your metabolism is in effect your body's furnace. Calories are the fuel that heats this furnace; the hotter your furnace burns, the more calories it uses up just to keep up with basic functions like digestion, breathing and so on. Your activity level and the food you eat affect your metabolism. The more activity and exercise you do, the faster your metabolism runs, even when you aren't being active. Activity also builds muscle, and muscle burns more calories than fat. In other words, the more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism. If you don't put enough food in your body, your "furnace" doesn't have anything to keep it going. It goes into a sort of hibernation mode by slowing down and using fewer calories.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

princess,
You can concentrate on eating "bulky" low calorie foods like salads and vegetables.
I find the high soluble fiber in beans is a good aid in fighting hunger; they digest very slowly and provide energy and protein over an extended period.

Another good trick is a cup of coffee mid-morning and mid-afternoon for both an energy boost and something that fills the stomach with very few calories. Water and diet lemonade also give the stomach filling help. If 1200 calories has you hungry too often, then stick to the 1500 range. Your losses will be slower but will come with time.

Make sure to incorporate regular exercise every day; alternate light with heavy.

Dieting is food deprivation. Food deprivation usually results in hunger. You've gotta take one with the other at least til you retrain your body and MIND that less is ENOUGH! People who never suffer hunger are usually the same people who are grossly overweight or obese!

I've trained myself, SORT OF, to occasionally embrace the feeling of hunger and say to myself: "It won't kill me and it shows I'm doing it RIGHT!" After all, it takes about 60 days with ZERO food to kill someone, nobody ever dropped dead from an afternoon without food! THink of Christ Ghandi or someone starving in Ethiopia for years on end...your hunger may seem pretty tritie by comparison.

Also ask youself: "Is this HUNGER or just HABIT!"

Last edited by Lenin; 07-14-2005 at 05:56 AM.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Ok, i have to add this in. All i drink is water----and lots of it...most days! I exersise 6 days a week....i take Sunday's off. I dont strictly keep count daily on my calorie intake.....i keep it in my head...roughly what i eat. I've never felt so health in my life..i quit drinking and smoking!!! Now im on this health kick like never before!!! As much as i exersise people tell me i need more calories!! Like 2000 a day! Some days, when i feel like ive eaten a bunch of ****, i probably do get there. Im trying to eat things that fill me up. The veggie's as a snck, just doesnt do it. Oh, and im not a huge sugar freak....BUT.....i crave it sometimes. What's this eating something salty, then needing suagr????? I've never understood that! The sugar craving is probably blood sugar level droping-----what can help with that?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
Ok, i have to add this in. All i drink is water----and lots of it...most days! I exersise 6 days a week....i take Sunday's off. I dont strictly keep count daily on my calorie intake.....i keep it in my head...roughly what i eat. I've never felt so health in my life..i quit drinking and smoking!!! Now im on this health kick like never before!!! As much as i exersise people tell me i need more calories!! Like 2000 a day! Some days, when i feel like ive eaten a bunch of ****, i probably do get there. Im trying to eat things that fill me up. The veggie's as a snck, just doesnt do it. Oh, and im not a huge sugar freak....BUT.....i crave it sometimes. What's this eating something salty, then needing suagr????? I've never understood that! The sugar craving is probably blood sugar level droping-----what can help with that?
I heard somewhere that when the brain is craving something sweet, that its' usually because of a vitamin C deficiency and eating an orange does the trick. WHen I have a sugar craving, i either eat some strawberries, oranges, or some fruit that is real sweet. SOmtimes I'll throw some low fat cool whip on my strawberries, yummmm!

Closed Thread