It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
like which food combinations are bad for your health?

like i read you shouldnt eat fish and lettuce together cos of the nitrate content in lettuce which would be poisonous in combination with fish. is it bad for your health to eat fish with dairy as well? cos i remember hearing something like that but now i'm thinking maybe it was a jewish rule and has nothing to do with health right... so enlighten me?

Old 07-15-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: like which food combinations are bad for your health?

according to gillian mckeith (although i think it is highly impractical and would make meal times far less fun!).

1) no concentrated starches with concentrated proteins.
2) fruit by itself.
3) melons by themselves, not even with other fruit.
4) no liquids with food.
5) non-starchy veg can be eaten with either concentrated starches OR concentrated protein.
6) sources of fat that are not rich in protein or starch (eg. butter, oils etc) can be eaten either with concentrated starches OR concentrated proteins.

this is only one nutitionists view though. others believe that point 1) and so points 5) and 6) are unecessary unless your digective system is weak.

the science is that different foods produce different pHs of juices and by combining the wrong foods you'll result in the juices neutralising each other to an extent resulting in incomplete digestion and assimilaton of nutrients and causing digestive problems such as bloating and gas. following the above rules enures the pHs balance. drinking water at mealtimes dilutes your own enzymes rendering them less efficient.

for most people all this is way too confusing and impractical. i'd say eat the fruit by itself and skip the water with meals but the rest can be overcome by taking a digestive enzyme supplement with your meals to ensure proper digestion.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 07-15-2005 at 03:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Hey Ratboy,
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but what is concentrated protein(is it shakes) and concentrated starches? Thanks

Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

wow thats a bit complicated! lol.. erm i was thinking more in a poisonous way? or unhealthy? or is that digestive stuff unhealthy, sorry lol i dont understand.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

Smags HB User

huh.That's interesting Ratboy. I always thought it was better to drink water while you're eating but I never knew that stuff about how it messes up your enzymes...explain that again? lol

Old 07-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
(female)

fawn512 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
2) fruit by itself.
i just ate one piece of apple

Last edited by fawn512; 07-15-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hey Ratboy,
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but what is concentrated protein(is it shakes) and concentrated starches? Thanks
foods that are high in carbs and low in protein, or high in protein and low in carbs. few examples quickly.

high in carbs and low in protein: potatoes and other starchy veg, bread, rice, grains etc.

high in protein and low in carbs: meat, soya beans, fish, nut and seeds etc.

the easy way to get around it is to eat a primarily vegetarian diet. this is because foods like lentils are high in both protein and carbs. mix them with grains then ther's no problem. the problem comes where there is one food in the combo that is very high in either starch or protein, eg. meat combined with potatoes. it is a classic british combo but from a nutritional standpoint isn't great for complete digestion. also there isn't really problem if only a small amount of animal protein is added to a meal, eg a bit of egg to a meal of rice and veg, as the amount isn't enough to hinder digestion but is sufficiant to make the meal digestible in terms of utilisation of protein (only a small amount of complete protein is needed to make the total content of the meal useable, ie. the protein from the rice included.

its quite hard to explain. i hope that made sense.

alex.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smags
huh.That's interesting Ratboy. I always thought it was better to drink water while you're eating but I never knew that stuff about how it messes up your enzymes...explain that again? lol
because liquids stay in the stomach for a much shorter time than solids if you drink water with meals then you dilute your digestive enzymes and in essense wash them out of your stomach before they have had a chance to act on the food they are meant to digest. the digestive juices left are not as concentrated as they should be and so digestion is harder to achieve.
there is one exception to the rule in regards to fluids at meals. you can drink LIVE veg juice with meals as they contain plant enzymes that are very similar to our own digestive enzymes, which help with the digestion process. make sure they're live though as veg juice from the supermarket shelf will not contain any enzymes.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 07-20-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Closed Thread