It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
can you eat too many egg whites?

cos today i ate like 8... cos i thought all the bad stuff (cholesterol etc.) were in the egg yolk rite, but the egg white no problem rite?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
(female)

joniann HB User
Re: can you eat too many egg whites?

the egg white has nothing in it but protein; you should be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

hehe cool thats what i thought.. thanks!

Old 07-15-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

you know in dutch we call protein 'eiwit' which means 'egg white' lol probably cos of that then!

Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

Smags HB User

The thing I don't get about eggs is wouldn't it make more sense if the yolk were the good stuff being that it is rich in color and the undeveloped baby chick? I'd think that would be where all the protien is. Health experts are always preaching that deep colors are good for you when found in fruits in vegetables. Why not the same with eggs?

Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Wow, that is so interesting that Protein is called eiwit in dutch - i love learning random facts ilke that!

Egg whites are pure protein, no fat, and totally 100% great for you. Eat up!

Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I also came across a great idea from watching this show on Fit Tv called the "Diet Doctor" and they were advocating the zone diet. They were claiming that this diet is healthy, it helps keep blood glucose levels down, sustained energy, and keeps the weight in check or perhaps weight loss. It consisted of a diet lower in grains(maybe 3 small servings), higher in lean protein, and many fruits and veggies....that's besides the point, lol, but the idea that I got from watching it was that you could stuff your egg whites with guacomole or hummus...when I go shopping next, i'm gonna give this a try.

Last edited by Jess75; 07-17-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
I also came across a great idea from watching this show on Fit Tv called the "Diet Doctor" and they were advocating the zone diet. They were claiming that this diet is healthy, it helps keep blood glucose levels down, sustained energy, and keeps the weight in check or perhaps weight loss. It consisted of a diet lower in grains(maybe 3 small servings), higher in lean protein, and many fruits and veggies....that's besides the point, lol, but the idea that I got from watching it was that you could stuff your egg whites with guacomole or hummus...when I go shopping next, i'm gonna give this a try.
hehe, good idea. I'm gonna try out the hummus recipe posted in another thread earlier and stuff it in egg whites tomorrow or something. :d

Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smags
The thing I don't get about eggs is wouldn't it make more sense if the yolk were the good stuff being that it is rich in color and the undeveloped baby chick? I'd think that would be where all the protien is. Health experts are always preaching that deep colors are good for you when found in fruits in vegetables. Why not the same with eggs?
Egg white protein is a superior protein source and the yolk is too! Understand there are eggs and then there are "eggs" ... supermaket cheapos are short on nutrition; the organic range eggs are far superior. The yolk contains much nutrition and I thought everyone knew that the cholesterol issue has long been disproved. Eat whole fresh organic eggs and be healthy. The only reason I can see to eat egg white only would be a calorie issue.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

the protein content of egg whites is the most useable form of protien for human consumption out of any food. never really understood the cholestorol issue of eggs as they actually raise good cholestrol levels in the body due to the presence of lecithin in the yolk (a fat emulsifier).

alex.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I think the egg yolk is where most of the vitamins are, so that would be similar to the higher vitamin content in veggies and fruit.
If I am not mistaken, egg yolk contains vitamins and fat (including cholesterol), and egg white most of the protein.

In German protein is also called "Eiweiss", which means "egg white". :-)

Kathrin

Old 08-04-2005, 10:59 PM   #12

schlegface HB User
Thumbs up Re: can you eat too many egg whites?

how much weight could i lose in 3 weeks if I just ate egg whites and veggies? The reason I am asking is because I'm in my friends wedding, and the dress does not fit at all. I really need to lose 15-20lbs.
It's crunch time!!!!! HELP!!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You definately aren't going to lose 15-20 lbs...even 10 lbs is a stretch. For sustainable, SAFE and healthy weight loss, you should aim for a max of 2-3 lbs per WEEK. It's unfortunate that you have such a dilemma...maybe you can get the dress fitted so it works for your current weight, and as you work on losing a little more weight it will be looser (and you can focus more on your loss after the wedding).

IN addition, eating only egg whites and veggies is not only somewhat dangerous, it's also unrealistic..

Old 08-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #14
(female)

AvnArmyWife HB User
Question Re: can you eat too many egg whites?

What is the difference between "supermarket" and "organic" eggs? Such as nutrition and taste?

Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

It can be argued to great extent, but basically organic eggs are from chickens that have not in any way been affected or exposed to pesticides or hormones or other chemicals. Supermarket eggs are from chickens that have probably been exposed to this stuff, through their environment or surroundings. There is much debate about which is better because the supermarket eggs, while they sound dangerous and unhealthy, have not really caused any major harm to anyone (although Im sure other ppl could rustle up some stats that prove otherwise). I supposed organic is better, but it is more expensive usually and tastes a little different- it's really your choice.

Closed Thread