It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Eating alone

I have realized that most of the time I feel bad about what I ate or most of the time that I overeat, I am alone. Rarely do I feel bad about eating something when I am with other people and rarely do I overeat when I am with other people. This has led me to believe that I should not eat alone - especially dinner and dessert.

I sometimes like just making dinner at home, though, and eating alone, but often times I overeat or eat a bunch of random things and then feel terrible. Like tonight, for example. A friend invited me over for dinner and I decided I'd rather relax at home and just make something healthy here. Like I said in my other post, I ate chocolate chips, chocolate rice cakes with peanut butter, and nonfat ice cream as my main meal.
1) that is not a healthy/nutritious meal
and
2) I felt gross after eating that for dinner
and
3) I wouldn't have done that if I were with other people or if I went to my friends house for dinner!

How do I fix this problem?
I am having the hardest time drawing the line between "healthy" and "too much." It is healthy to indulge, but how much, how often, and what kinds of things. Was I unhealthy by eating peanut butter and chocolate for dinner or is it ok if that's what my body was craving!?

I am so confused. Sorry for my masses of posts...............

I hate feeling so anxious over every little slip up I have. But I feel like I have these slip ups so often......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Eating alone

LS, stop it, you'r freaking us out.. If you feel you'r eating stuff you dont like, then dont buy them.. or buy real healthy foods when you shop.. if you want my opinion you can have junk in your diet but, keep it at 10%.. you will be fine if you do that.

im not being mean or anything, ****..lol stop freaking out.

Dont you have a bf or somtin.??

Old 07-16-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks...I guess. I'll try to stop freaking out.

I don't think that's a really relevant question, but yes, I am dating someone. We are doing the long distance thing, though, for now. I also have a ton of friends and consider myself to be a very social person, so it is not as if all I do is sit and eat or think about eating. I don't want you to get the wrong image/impression.

I know I tend to get anxious and overreact about things that I have eaten, but that is why I try and vent in my posts - so that it does not affect my everyday life. It is not like what I have eaten is all I think about or all I talk about - it is just all I talk about on here and so that is all you know me by.

So even though I seem to be obsessive, perhaps it's because obviously that's all I talk about on here! However, I do tend to freak out too much sometimes...

I really am afraid of gaining weight is what it comes down to. I don't know why. I am trying to relax about it, but it's a lot harder than it seems. Sorry if my posts are getting annoying...I'll try to cut back.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
LS, stop it, you'r freaking us out.. If you feel you'r eating stuff you dont like, then dont buy them.. or buy real healthy foods when you shop.. if you want my opinion you can have junk in your diet but, keep it at 10%.. you will be fine if you do that.

im not being mean or anything, ****..lol stop freaking out.

Dont you have a bf or somtin.??
Losec20mg brings up a good point. Out of sight, out of mind. If you don't have it in your kitchen then you can't eat it.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

I wasnt saying anything bad LS..I just want you to get a grip..take control and, be an adult about it... .. later

Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

LS, i think maybe you should try posting your "vents" on the eating disorder board. Whether you do or don't or do have or just don't admit that you have an ED, the posters there are used to people going crazy about meals and food all the time, and they can offer much reassurance and other helpful tips to help you get going where you shoudl be..not that there is ANYTHING wrong with the posters here ( ), just the ones on the ED board are used to this sort of thing..

Last edited by girlygirl11; 07-17-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks - maybe I'll give that a try the next time I feel anxious. I know it can be hard/annoying to read about other peoples' (my) "bad" days and I don't mean to sound petty.

Been doing very well the last few days with getting a grip on reality. I'm going to try and take things in stride more often. It's about time...

Old 07-18-2005, 04:58 AM   #8
(female)

vwj04 HB User

Hey LS--

I'm a newcomer to posting at this site but I've read several of your posts and I think you're doing a great job trying to deal with your nutrition. I'm similar to you in that I had an ED in high school that became truly terrible once I went to college. I remember it being a frustrating time---and ironic too because I tried to keep my diet so healthy and controlled even though it was causing me to be at an unhealthy low weight. I had a hard time gaining weight back once I became aware of the problem. It was like I knew I had to increase my calorie content drastically to solve the immediate problem (low weight) but I was afraid of how it would affect me long-term. I think you're good at identifying your concerns with nutrition and you eat very healthy so you're going to beat this thing. Just hang in there and don't give up.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks so much, vwj...
How are you doing now? Did you completely overcome your eating disorder? If so, do you feel you eat and think about food completely normally, now?

I am different in the sense that I do not have to gain weight b/c I am not at a dangerously low weight, however, I still have some issues with overeating and indulging where I feel terrible about myself afterwards. I eat pretty healthy and I do exercise, but sometimes I wonder if I get too obsessive about it.

I wouldn't say I have an eating disorder, but the fact that I had one before proves that the anxiety and feelings I have now are definitely residual feelings from it. I am just trying to find a happy medium right now, but for some reason it's really hard. I feel like in high school it was almost easier b/c I was at a very low weight and was forced to sort of fix the problem "cold turkey," but now that there is no threat, I am able to take it slowly and continue with my skewed thoughts....

I don't know - I'm sure I can get over feeling this way, but I just need a little bit of time/encouragement.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

or eating in front of the tv... omg, i just watched tv for like three hours, normally i hardly watch tv... but i couldnt stop eating man... lol, i guess ill be hittin the gym again later (i went this morning..)

Old 07-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

^^Eating in front of the TV will get you every time haha. Every time I would watch a sports game, it didn't matter if I was hungry or not, I had to eat. It's all psychological of course. Remember mind over matter.

Closed Thread