Re: dangers of monounsaturated fats?
Here's what I mean by "neutral."
If one wants to eat fats, little damage will be done to an ideal lipid structure with either monosaturates or polyunsaturates. I think neither is actually BENEFICIAL and that a smaller amount is better than a larger amount.
I think a good way is to assume that GOOD is a diet of little fat of any kind...perhaps under 20% of the diet with 10% even better. BAD is a diet that is high fat of any kind (say 50%+ fat)
If one is going to do the least damage, keep the fats low or, failing that, keep them POLYS or MONOS.
I do not see polys or monos as EVER GOOD if they are used to actually raise the amount of fats in the diet. Thus if a person who eats 40% fat calories, eats an additional 10% as polys for a new total of 50%, he is doing himself no good.
The fats that are GOOD are the Omega-3's, those that are BAD are saturates and trans-fats, and the others are NEUTRAL (not good, not too bad!)