It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #1

blackashjester HB User
Eating and Excersizing

Right now im on a diet of chicken and fruit. I know chicken contains protein, but im not sure whether i should eat before or after i work out.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
(female)

zeez HB User
Re: Eating and Excersizing

Hey there,

Welcome to the boards! Well, if you have the energy to workout, definitely eat afterward. If you eat before, your body is using it's blood supply for digestion instead of your workout. Plus you always need to eat something after your workout. Protein and some carbs (from your fruit) after working out are essential to help rebuild muscle if you have been lifting.

I always have to have some kind of carb like an energy bar right before I workout. But then again I have to eat all day long! I always make sure that right after I workout I have something to eat that has protein and some carbs in it. Your chicken and fruit is a perfect combination!

~zeez

PS If I were on your diet and I was feeling tired before working out, I'd eat a small amount of fruit before working out for the energy, but not a lot. I don't think I'd do too well on your diet as I love cooked veggies and cheese. I don't eat much fruit, except for bananas. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

There's nothing worse than burping up some acidic food while struggling with a heavy bench press and then trying to ignore your burning esophagus! An empty stomach workout is best. Don't worry, you have glycogen and fat to get you throught the workout.
Besides, chicken is a slow digester and unless you eat it a couple hours before the workout (a good idea) it's protein isn't available to you anyway.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Lenin, I disagree. I think it's vital that you eat something pre-workout, especially when it comes to weight training. Cardio, on the other hand, is debateable.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

From reading alot on the fitness forums, MANY people do cardio(in the morning mind you, without food for 8 hours or over) without eating first and there are some who feel sick and dizzy if they don't eat so I guess it depends on how much of an impact it has on you. If you do feel sick, then maybe eat an apple or something a half hour before your workout. Me personally, I can't workout on an empty stomach so I prefer to workout about a half hour after a light snack. I tried this before and I was getting tired really quickly and quit half way through the workout. lol
For strength training, I suggest a high protein low carb meal before hand, like about an hour and a half before the workout but if your not hungry at all and feel comfortable enought to do your workout, then eating is not necessary, like don't FORCE yourself to eat.....but everyone has different opinions on this.

Last edited by Jess75; 07-17-2005 at 01:23 PM.

Closed Thread