It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
(male)

DAVID_1157 HB User
Soya for Vegetarians

I've recently become vegeterian. I'm not a vegan (yet) so I still eat dairy products. I would like to cut down on all animal products. I like Soya milk and could easily replace regular milk for this.

But I've heard that soya increases oestrogen in you and harms your testosterone levels. Does anyone have anymore information on this? If this is a risk then I won't do it, but if it isn't a risk I would like to switch to Soya milik. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Re: Soya for Vegetarians

Someone on this board suggested doing a search: Soy Protein Danger. I did and read several very negative articles. It has to do with the processing method in the US. I don't remember all the details about the danger but it was alarming. I did the search quite a while ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #3

llamamuffinmama HB User

There's some conflicting information about that, but I don't believe it to be dangerous. I do know over 50 vegan men and overall they are healthy, active and vibrant. I don't know any who have had hormonal problems because of soymilk or other soy products.

I have read that the plant phytoestrogens, which are not the same as estrogen- a hormone- but behave similarly in a much weaker capacity- are able to bind to estrogen receptor sites in place of estrogen if your body already has enough of that so that it can actually help balance out your hormone levels by decreasing the amount of true estrogen that you produce. i'm not sure if i worded that as clearly as i could have. sorry.

there are articles warning about "dangers" of soy, but there are also many touting the health benefits and safety of soy, so read both sides before you make a choice.
i use soymilk and other soy products regularly, too, and they have certainly done my body good. =)

Old 07-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Anecdotes aside, just ask this question. If 85% of soy is GMO, and it requires industrial processes to make it eatable, how can it be good for me? The answer is clear, don't eat this stuff. Clinical studies have shown as little as 1 cup of soy milk per day can cause changes in TSH levels (thyroid). You might want to consider the folk wisdom from Japan that tells wifes with wandering husbands to feed them tofu. The estrogenic effects were clearly understood long ago and the ability of soy to feminize and reduce male libido. As to the "both sides" of an argument approach, science is not a balance beam. There were many benifcial studies about thalidamide but don't you think they were trumped by the birth defect side effects? Go do that suggested search and you will be convinced. Vegans have a strong vested interest in believing that soy is safe because it is intregal to their diet.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I wouldn't use it as my primary sourse of protein, that's for sure! There are vegan protein shakes, one that I know of is called "soy free veg protein booster" by naturade. Too much soy, is dangerous. I use soy milk on occasion.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

Soy is not integral to a vegan diet. It is optional. I know vegetarians and vegans who consume no soy whatsoever due to allergies/celiac disease, and they are fine.

There are plenty of other milk alternatives as well - it's not just a question of dairy milk or soy milk. There's oat, rice, hazelnut, almond, and multigrain "milks", too, for starters.

The dairy industry has a strong vested interest in making soy appear dangerous or unhealhy to the public because the increasing popularity of soymilk and other soy-based products is a serious threat to them financially.

2 sides to every story.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think a good alternative to cow's milk is NO milk. I dislike the taste of soy milk and have no burning urge for cow's milk so I drink neither.
Kefir, of course, is another story.

I think the soy-estorgen connection is overblown by the meat and dairy industry since soy is the vegetable kingdom's main contender for the most versatile, high protein food.

I am CERTAIN that a soy based diet is FAR heathier than a COW based one!

Old 07-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Question 1, I am pretty sure I'm celiac (just discovered about two months ago) Anyhow what does soy and celiac have to do with one another because I eat freakish amounts of soy, I drink my Soy milk with Soy Protein powder and I Eat soynuts because they are superhigh in fiber (trying to fix my digestive tract) and protein.

Question 2, My protein is Supro protein made from certified non-GMO soybeans that are produced while being tightly monitored and controlled form planting through processing, does that make a difference in the unhealthy effects?

Old 07-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I think a good alternative to cow's milk is NO milk. I dislike the taste of soy milk and have no burning urge for cow's milk so I drink neither.
Kefir, of course, is another story.

I think the soy-estorgen connection is overblown by the meat and dairy industry since soy is the vegetable kingdom's main contender for the most versatile, high protein food.

I am CERTAIN that a soy based diet is FAR heathier than a COW based one!

^Agree!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:42 PM   #10

llamamuffinmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skigomaniac
Question 1, I am pretty sure I'm celiac (just discovered about two months ago) Anyhow what does soy and celiac have to do with one another because I eat freakish amounts of soy, I drink my Soy milk with Soy Protein powder and I Eat soynuts because they are superhigh in fiber (trying to fix my digestive tract) and protein.
Soy is fine for people with celiac as far as I know. The two veg*n people I know who have celiac disease also happen to be allergic to soy (in addition)...so they avoid soy in addition to avoiding wheat (and other gluten containing foods).

Closed Thread