It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
(female)

TupperwareLady HB User
Tired all the time

Hello,

I'm tired ALL the time and I am so frustrated !!! I know there is no 'magic formula' but when I try to educate myself, I find I am inundated with information and don't know where to start or what to believe!

I know to eat more fruits and vegetables and to cut out excess sugar and caffeine....but what else?! How do I find out if I may be allergic to gluten or something like that? What's up with not drinking water with meals?

I guess I am babbling but I don't know what to do!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~Michelle (wanting some energy! )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Tired all the time

hey Michele i was like that too but, this gluten free diet has given me so much energy, that i dont even need to sleep..lol .. have you tried iliminating it.?? for say a couple weeks.. just try eating meat, rice, fruits, and, vegetables..see how you feel with that..and, get yourself gluten free cereals for breakfast..and, some bread for your lunches. Stay away from all processed foods anything that comes in a box or a can, throw it out.. canned corn and, canned peas arent that bad.. do that and, let us know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

TupperwareLady HB User

I haven't tried it yet...and thank you for the suggestion/tips!!! I probably DO eat a lot of stuff w/gluten (cream of wheat every morning! ).

It's worth a shot...is there anywhere I can go for more information or is it really as simple as just not eating wheat/gluten?

Thanks again...and I would have replied earlier but I fell asleep on the couch!

Take care,
~Michelle

Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Getting a minimum of 15 grams of protein at each meal also might help (your cream of wheat, even with milk, doesn't come close).

(And I would second the idea of eliminating wheat for at least a couple of weeks to see how you feel.)

Old 07-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Start taking B-Complex. B Vitamins are great for energy!

Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

TupperwareLady HB User

Okay...thank you! I'll have to figure out how much/what 15g of protein would equal.

If I'm going to try cutting out wheat then I guess I would cut out my Cream of Wheat, huh?!

So I guess an egg and a few egg whites scrambled with a bit of cheese (?) and veggies (I love it with red/green peppers, broccoli and onions!) would do for breakfast plus salads w/tuna (does light mayo have gluten? I guess the label would say!) and other fruits, veggies, etc. for other meals would be gluten free?

Thanks for all the help...of course I mentioned it (the gluten free possiblilty) to my husband and he says that it's just that I am so stressed out...which is TRUE...but I'm sure changing my diet can help!

Take care,
~Michelle

Old 07-19-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperwareLady
(does light mayo have gluten? I guess the label would say!)
Oh goodness! No, don't presume the label will be explicit about gluten. Losec20mg will fill you in on the detail there!

Old 07-19-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

you should get the mayo labelled gluten free..the regular kind may contain gluten and, companies can change their labelling at any time and, the product will change. So get the one that says gluten free ..

the regular one can have hidden gluten in the vinegar, spices, flavoursm seasonings... this white flour is everywhere..lol but hey, dont worry gluten free simply means junk free.. ..take care and, let us know.

bye

ps: thanks aunty..

Old 07-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
(female)

TupperwareLady HB User

There's gluten in VINEGAR?!?! Geeze I have a lot to learn! Is there any benefit to eliminating gluten even if somehow some sneaks in or is it an all or nothing kind of thing?

As for the B-vitamins...thanks for the suggestion...does a multi-vitamin count? I just started taking those (would THEY have gluten in them?!?!).

Thanks again,
~Michelle

Old 07-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

vitamines contain gluten, unless specified on the label or box to be Gluten free. I dont know where you'r from but, i know the Centrums are gluten free, syas so on the box. And, well yes, to see true results then you must iliminate it completely forever. As far as the vinegar, the only one we dont trust is the white vinegar, contains malt..but, all the others are ok.. Balsamic, apple cider, wine, white wine, rice vinegar..etc I use the rice and, the wine mostly.. Hope I helped and, ask me questions im the gluten expert around here..lol .. I could make you a list of foods to start you off. If you want.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yes Losec is a big help in the gluten department. I've been suffering from digestive problems and decided to give a "low" gluten diet a try. For example, I've been eating GF waffles, and IF I DO have bread(haven't ate it lately)I started buying kamut but now I have this rice bread. I eat amaranth cereal(which has oats and lil barley) and oatmeal which is low in gluten. SOme celiacs could actually tolorate kamut, oatmeal, and spelt but I guess it depends on the degree. So essentially, i've switched my grains from whole wheat to better "digestable" grains.
If your looking to go TOTALLY gluten free, quiona and amaranth PLAIN(not my cereal since they ADDED the barley and oats) is gluten free. But gluten is VERY hard to avoid, even in healthy foods that you buy at health food stores! But in order to sustain a GF diet, one would usually have to shop at health food stores because unfortunately, this stuff is in virtually EVERYTHING.
Is fatigue your only symptom? Gluten could be it....what made you think it was gluten?

Old 07-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
(female)

TupperwareLady HB User

Oh...okay on the vinegar...I only use the white stuff with baking soda to clean my sink drain! I love balsamic vinegar! I imagine there's gluten hiding in my salad dressings too...so I guess I'll have to go with straight balsamic!

I live in New England and yes, we have Centrum vitamins! LOL!

A list of foods would be a great help but I don't want to over stay my welcome!!!

Thanks for the tips, Jessica!

Take care,
~Michelle

Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok so get yourself the centrums or try the jaimeson kind too..but the centrums are good, they are a multi vitamine. And yes the dressing will defenetly have gluten in it. You are aware that you'r gonna have to cook everyday with this diet ,are you.?? .. you can get yourself some snacks and, sweets or protien bars at your health food store..but, for your meals you'r gonna have to make em..all the time, so. Still want that list.??

Old 07-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperwareLady
Hello,

I'm tired ALL the time and I am so frustrated !!! I know there is no 'magic formula' but when I try to educate myself, I find I am inundated with information and don't know where to start or what to believe!

I know to eat more fruits and vegetables and to cut out excess sugar and caffeine....but what else?! How do I find out if I may be allergic to gluten or something like that? What's up with not drinking water with meals?

I guess I am babbling but I don't know what to do!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~Michelle (wanting some energy! )
Hi, I just wanted to add that keeping well hydrated can cause tiredness, also. Are you getting enough fluids? Too much, caffeine, sugar, alcohol will make you tired also.
I have sensitivities to food additives, so staying with fresh fruits & veggies, lean meats, has helped me, too. It is difficult to avoid certain food products, as known allergens (i.e. glutein, soy, sufates, food dyes, etc) are in everything.
I started out by dumping everything "bad" from my diet at once (very hard), and slowly reintroducing suspect items to see if I reacted to them.
But fatigue can also be a symptom of something else going on,so if you haven't had a recent check-up may be worth doing so, to rule out thyroid, diabetes, anemia, etc.
Hoping you feel better soon, and find an answer to the tiredness.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 AM   #15
(female)

TupperwareLady HB User

Thank you for your input, Hellasrules! Exactly what do you mean by 'dumping everything bad' out of your diet? Everything except fruit/veggies/lean protein? Also, I DO need to have a check-up and you make some valid points...I always have to be sure to stay hydrated as well...I seem to forget to drink as the day goes on!

Okay...YES...I would love that list if you don't mind, Losec! Thank you! As for having to 'cook'...do you mean hours of complicated concoctions or just the fact that I can't just throw something in the microwave? I usually cook for my husband and daughter so regular cooking isn't a problem.

Thanks again...now I'm going to scramble an egg or two!

~Michelle

Closed Thread