It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

stay2gether HB User
sugary products straight after meals - bad?

hi everyone,

am a little concerned, i have been eating healthily - fish, salads, lots ot f veg, etc. but after every meal i eat sugary snacks, usually flapjacks as i am sooo addicted to these lol. i find it stops me craving sugar later on, or at least untill my last meal....is this really bad for me? does it interfear with the digesting of the healthy food and make it less haelthy???

would love to hear your veiws on this one

Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
(male)

Nixona HB User
Re: sugary products straight after meals - bad?

Are you just snacking because you still feel hungry? The human body generally take something like 20 minutes to get the full signal from your stomach to your brain. Regardless, the sugary food is just empty calories that doesn't benefit you in any way. If you eat more calories in a day than you burn you will gain weight. Try waiting 30-45 minutes after your meal and if you are still hungry, pop some popcorn, have a yogurt, a piece of fruit, maybe some vegetables?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Flapjacks AFTER dinner sounds just plain WEIRD!

Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

What are Flapjacks I never heard of them?

Old 07-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

so wat? its called dessert. go ahead! its not going to cause many diseases in ur organs..lol.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

It doesn't 'interfere' with any digestion of nutrients or anything.. the only thing is if you are trying to lose weight or something, it might put you over your calorie limit for the day. However like Sammy says, it's like dessert..

If you are worried, why not try to 'kill' your cravings by making the flapjacks actually FOR dinner, just a healthier version. From what I know, flapjacks are like crepes or pancakes right? So, try filling them with ricotta or cottage cheese, and lots of fruit. It's like a blintz then, kinda. My family makes those every so often for dinner...
You could also try different kinds of 'sweet' to satisfy your craving. For example, why not have fruit with a lil cool whip or sugar ontop as a dessert, or a fruit sauce with your dinner (on your meat or something), or even a sweet drink, like flavoured water, juice, even a diet pop every so often. Of course, I understand the power of a craving, so the flapjacks aren't completely horrible.. if you eat healthy the rest of the day, you more than deserve them! (Just a thought, but I always find that I crave things most when I have some sort of 'deficiency', like not enough salt, carbs, protein, water, or even not enough to eat in general!)

Old 07-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

stay2gether HB User

flapjacks are an oat cake type thing, bound together by syrup and sugar. and i dont just eat one or 2 lol, its more like a whole box a day. i must stop tho realli, im starting to put the pounds on....they are very high in fat.
i am glad to hear it doesnt get in the way of my body absorbing the healthy stuff tho

Closed Thread