It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Question which foods are alkaline foods? please help

first of all, english isnt my first language so excuse my cheap description of what im trying to say lol.. but im looking for foods (such as sugar, honey.. i think) that neutralize acid... thanks

Last edited by justme_; 07-24-2005 at 03:26 AM.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Re: which foods work as bases? please help

So egg whites have a pH of 7.96... so does that mean if I eat a salad with apple cider vinegar and loads of egg whites, that will neutralize it? So that the acid won't affect my teeth and organs? Thanks.

And if I eat it with a meal that includes Tofu which has a pH of 7.10?

While drinking tea that has a pH of 7.20?

What if I add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to tea?

Last edited by justme_; 07-24-2005 at 03:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

I'm also confused... should I be looking at the original pH of foods or the pH value of them after they have been metabolized?

Old 07-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

yes i find it complicated as well lol but im hoping someone here can help me with this though...

oh, and i haven't heard of it so no idea

Old 07-24-2005, 05:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

does any1 else know? thanks

Old 07-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I'm a chemist but the talk of acidic and basic foods always leaves me dumfounded. Foods that are obviously acidic to a chemist, like lemon juice are called BASIC by Eastern "nutritionists."
So put me firmly in the "God knows" school on this topic!

Last edited by Lenin; 07-26-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Nearly all fruits and vegetables (especially raw) will have alkaline reactions in the body- this includes citrus fruits and tomatoes too ( ...that's beyond me as well).

Most animal protein (meat) will cause acidity in the body. Note that refined sugars and starches aren't food anyway as the body has a very difficult time digesting/using them as a nutrition source.

It is also important to know that the human body is VERY efficient at maintaining a perfect balance of pH 7.4. One must have an ultra extreme diet or other underlying disease factors to offset this balance. Hyperventilation is a type of alkalosis, and is very easily treated. Diabetic acidosis is potentially fatal, most often occurring in Type one diabetics.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
(female)

ederstreet HB User

Any food which is naturally acidic when pH tested by itself will produce an alkaline effect on the body. The body will automatically try to balance itself back to the proper pH for you. Hence, seemingly acidic items -- such as citris -- will produce an antacid result.

Meats, caffeine, and various proteins will increase the body's need to return to a more alkaline state. Thus, you eat too much meat and not enough fruits & veggies, you'll pay for it in heartburn. Introducing fresh fruits and vegetables back into your diet will aid in returning your system to an acid-free state.

Last edited by ederstreet; 08-12-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Alan,

I doubt that fruits are going to help with heartburn, probably the reverse.
For HEARTBURN, I think it's the chemis't view of acidity that is more important than the ayurvedic shamans's. That's why TUMS (a weak base) works. It neutralizes the EXTREMELY acidic hydrochloric acid (pH around 2) that burps up into the esophagus causing pain.
THE old "ulcer diet" foods used to have milk products high on the list for neutralizing stomach acids.

I think the way to deal with it best is to find a product like a proton pump inhibitor (Protonix, Acephex, Prilosec) or an acid blocker (Zantac, Tagamet) or even just chew a couple calcium carbonate pills when the pain acts up.

Find the root of it though; get tested for an H.pylorii infection.

Closed Thread