It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
Inactive

seekalot HB User
started juicing...anyone know any GOOD TASTING vegetable juices

Hi, this is my first post on the food board. I searched for posts on juicing and found some great ideas but this basic question of mine was not really answered. So...

I feel I am one of the many "overweight but undernourished" Americans -- I eat lots of sweets and frozen/canned/fast food, hate vegetables, wasn't even crazy about fruits...

well, started juicing a few weeks ago. I got a Jack Lalanne juicer. I am very happy with it and use it almost every day, sometimes twice. (By the way, I don't think taking it apart and cleaning it is any bigger a deal than making your own bed. I mention that because I read some user reviews on other places where people were complaining about it. But it's pretty quick and really just mostly rinsing of a few parts, I just had to wonder, aren't these people used to cleaning up after themselves? )

(Incidentally if you ever decide to get this juicer (Jack Lalanne), DON'T get it off the infomercial on the TV, it's $150 there. Instead go to a mall if you can with a "As Seen on TV" store, it was $100 there.)

Also, my second suggestion I would pass on I read in a book on juicing -- which said the key to sticking with juicing long-term is always PREPARING the fruits and vegetables as soon as you buy them. Take a half hour or whatever as soon as you get home to wash, trim, core apples, cut the pineapple in pieces, whatever is needed so when you want to make a quick glass of juice, the ingredients are all in the fridge and ready.

Well, I'm very pleased to a point...This was a few weeks and I have started (for the first time in my life) buying a lot of fruits, organic whenever I can, and started to REALLY like fruits for the first time, both juiced and a little bit just cut up regular -- I have been making juices of apples, oranges, raspberries (my favorite), strawberries, pineapple, grapefruit (not my favorite, sour), nectarines...so far so good...

BUT the vegetable thing is still not too appealing yet. I really want to add lots of vegetables (okay, ANY vegetables) to my diet, both for general health and because I know they are smarter than fruits for weight loss, which I am also determined to succeed on. I know everyone says carrot juice is so delicious -- well... to me it's not that great but okay IF juiced along with apples, etc. But I still need to find more variety of vegetables I can stand...

So I bought some brocolli, even cut it up and washed it but ended up throwing it out because frankly I always thought broccoli literally STINKS and somehow I just kept putting off adding it into my juicing...

So then I tried celery, which I do like (as regular celery, not juiced). I made a big juice with apples, oranges, strawberries, carrots and the celery. Took a sip and.... that's as close as I can find to a vomiting smiley...
no didn't really vomit, but my Lord it tasted AWFUL...sorry to say I gave it four good swallows before I gave up and threw out the rest...

So -- anyone know of any truly GOOD TASTING juices you can make with vegetables?
Or I guess alternatively, how much can I hope to "retrain" my taste buds to like tastes I have always disliked? Anyone had any success with doing that? Doesn't seem too likely to me.
(I do like jicama, garbanzo beans, snap peas, lettuce, corn, that's about it on the vegetable front...don't know what kind of juice those would make though.)
Thanks for any ideas!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: started juicing...anyone know any GOOD TASTING vegetable juices

Seekalot,

From your description of the first few attempts, my guess is that you will soon add the juicer to your next garage sale.
If apples, oranges, strawberries, carrots and celery make for a horrible juice, it seems a lost cause for me.
I love unpasteurized unfiltered apple juice and I like to buy it refrigerated when it;s in season for about $3 a gallon. To buy apples and make the same gallon, I can;t imagine spending less than $30.

For the mixed veg juices, I think the low salt version of V-8 is about right...I'll even wield the can opener...whew!

A problem I see with juicing is that all the healthful fibers wind up in the garbage...a crime.

Straight orange juice, or apple juice, cranberry juice, raspberry juice (at $50 a quart?) sound like winners.

I guess you can tell that I think juicing is highly overrated! Eating fruit seems the way to go!

Old 07-24-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Some vegetable juices are certainly an aquired taste. Watch mixing fruits and veggies, carrots go well with most fruits, and apples go well with some veggies, most other combinations may produce a taste other than what you are expecting

Juicing can have a lot of benefits outside of eating the whole fruit- the enzymes, vitamins, and minerals are assimilated by the body in about 15 mins when taken on an empty stomach (By the way: juice should always be taken on an empty stomach.) which won't happen when the whole fruit is taken. If you have irritable bowels you can enjoy the benefits of raw produce without gastric upset.

Not to say that fiber doesn't have its place: I make a fresh pint of juice to drink 4-5 times a day. Outside of this, I'm still consuming no less than 6-7 servings of veggies/fruit daily among salads and snacks.

When you just begin juicing, it's a lot easier to acquaint your palate using fruit juices. If you have any diabetic tendencies this is still something to keep an eye on. You can start adding veggies in later on. I have always found it easy to get something down that tastes not-so-pleasant by reminding myself of the good it is going to do in my body. Cruciferous and dark green leafy veggies tend to be the most pungent.

If you do an internet search I am sure you will be able to find some good, tried, recipe combo. Here's some of my favorites:

carrot
carrot/pineapple
strawberry/carrot/pineapple
carrot/celery
carrot/broccoli
red pepper/cabbage (good with apple too)
red pepper/cauliflower

Old 07-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Inactive

seekalot HB User

Hi Lenin, thanks! I appreciate your post. But actually, I don't think I'll go the garage sale route -- I think the problem with that particular drink may have been too much celery and way too little of the other stuff (it was just a few leftover slices of apple, etc.). So may be a matter of proportion? But I don't want to give up on something potentially very beneficial to my health just because one particular vegetable drink didn't taste so hot, okay, I admit it, tasted like swamp water

But then today I made an apple-pineapple-carrot juice and it was GREAT. Notice I mentioned CARROTS! So that is promising. Also I made a juice with some fruits (I forget exactly which) and snap peas and it was surprisingly very tasty.

I will say I agree with some of your points. One, continuing to still eat SOLID fruits (and vegs.) is very important even if you do juice, for the fiber at least. I am doing a lot of that, including eating them while I'm preparing the juice (always was a snacker while I cooked).

Also agree with you that the claims on juicing sometimes seem overblown. I think maybe whether for love (of juicing) or money (from selling books, etc.), people sometimes exaggerate or repeat every imaginable claim anyone ever made about juicing, whether it's provable, debatable or just plain baloney.

And costwise, hmm -- ? The way you added up the larger quantities, it does seem maybe it does cost more than the juices you buy. But I must say I've been amazed how much I walk out of a produce stand with for $10 or $15. Especially I think if you rely on apples and carrots and what's on sale. But in any case I've decided I'm willing to put more of my money into that than maybe some other, less useful items. Guess it's a question of priorities as well as what you believe really helps you. Personally I do believe some of the benefits are real, such as it is an easy way for your system to digest many valuable nutrients to improve your health and well-being.

So, bottom line, I'd still like to hear of tasty vegetable juice options if anyone knows of any! Or if anyone is interested in specific recipes I (hopefully) come up with or my overall experience with juicing and whether it's "worth it" as time goes on, let me know and I will post.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Inactive

seekalot HB User

Just saw your post, mellowfish. Thanks for the info. I think you are right it is just as well to start with the fruit juices as they are tastier. I will try some of the combinations you mentioned. Must say red peppers and cauliflower or red peppers and cabbage, those are combinations I wouldn't have thought of. Do you mean you really enjoy their tastes? In what proportions do you mix those?

Old 07-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

Jogaholic HB User

Juice some carrots, oranges, and throw in some vanilla frozen yogurt and ice and you've got yourself a really yummy smoothie...a local smoothie place makes this and it is the best. I'm not exactly sure of the ratios of each, making it at home is just personal preference. Mmm...

Old 07-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekalot
Just saw your post, mellowfish. Thanks for the info. I think you are right it is just as well to start with the fruit juices as they are tastier. I will try some of the combinations you mentioned. Must say red peppers and cauliflower or red peppers and cabbage, those are combinations I wouldn't have thought of. Do you mean you really enjoy their tastes? In what proportions do you mix those?
I listed some of the juices with flavors I really like, and one's I feel would be more palatable just starting out (a combination of dandylion, watercress, lettuce, and garlic will put a jump in your step, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've been making green juices and eating raw garlic for a bit )

Red peppers are sweet, and take away any pungency when juiced with cabbage/cauliflower. If you are not a cabbage fan, try more red pepper, alternating as you juice them. If you are impartial and want to play a bit, juice a small but equal amount of both and taste to see if you want to add more of one or the other.

Carrots and red peppers both have a sweetness that offsets the bitter taste of many vegetables, try vegetable combinations that include one or the other of these. Also with veggie combos, start with just two things at a time when "creating", this will lessen the possibility of "swamp water" .

I was surprised when I found how palatable most vegetable juices are, even the bitterness of celery completely disappears when you add a carrot. Have fun and enjoy. Regards.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
Inactive

seekalot HB User

well, just thought I would update anyone who, llike me, is interested in finding good-tasting vegetables juices they can make...

tonight I made a nectarine/carrot/strawberry/green bean drink (got 2 fruits, 2 vegs., so going in the right direction at least ) and it was really rather tasty, not really strong tasting but palatable and easy to drink.

Incidentally I have put juicing firmly SECOND (but an important second) to my primary diet goal of losing weight. I will add on that subject, just hoping to possibly be helpful, I have read a WONDERFUL book called "I Wish I Were Thin, I Wish I Were Fat" by a psychologist whose name I think is Michelle Levine which discusses the stronger unconscious motivations to overeat and actual unconscious wishes to be fat which, if not resolved, almost always overcome our conscious wishes to be thin...I have found this book very helpful. I have lost 14 pounds so far, am not as tired as I used to be and am confident I can continue to manage my eating this way...

well, wishing everyone success in improving their health!

Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

seekalot,
Thanks for the update, I am glad to hear things going well for you. Making small changes a little at a time is the best way to keep new, healthy habits permanently. Cheers

Closed Thread