It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

Lilly10 HB User
Low Carb and Headache

I just started the south beach diet two days ago and since then I have been getting headaches. Im just wondering if you can have sugar/carb withdrawal?

Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Low Carb and Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly10
I just started the south beach diet two days ago and since then I have been getting headaches. Im just wondering if you can have sugar/carb withdrawal?
When you eliminate an entire food group entirely, it could be dangerous in the long run because you body NEEDS glucose (i.e. your brain) so short term is okay for some people on low carb for some reason. Did you go through the induction phase? Like when you wean yourself off of carbs?

Last edited by Jess75; 07-28-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

No Im still in the induction phase. I have never really been into the whole low carb thing but I did weight watchers over the winter and that was a great diet but I hit a plateau then i gained back 8 of the 12 I lost . Have you ever tried a low carb diet?

I dont plan on doing this for that long just as a jump start.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yes, I've tried low carb and I suffered from vertigo, nausea and extreme fatigue.
So if I would end up hitting a plateu, I would increase the intensity or switch my exercise. Or, just the plain old, evaluation of my diet to see what's wrong.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Headaches are a fairly common problem that last a couple of days. Try increasing water intake.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

I have been doing Atkins for over a year. What you are experiencing is a normal process of your body withdrawing from all the sugars and such. It goes away soon and will be replaced with much more energy than you are use to. I have went from 150 to 107 pounds. My husband weighed 170 and now weighs 200 pounds. This is not a diet however, but a new way of eating. You stop lo carbing and you will gain your weight back in a whoosh. It could also be caffeine with drawal if you cut out coffee.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

it makes sense that you would. i know a lot of people get bad or extreme headaches when they stop drinking full flavored soda too. Im glad thats one thing I wasnt attached too. I just started the low carb thing the other day so far no headaches =) goodluck!

Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

OH, absolutely! You can have sugar withdrawals just like you can have withdrawals from cigarettes, alcohol, or even caffeine! I'm sure you've heard of coffee drinkers getting a headach when trying to kick their caffeine habit.?..?..?

It's great that you are trying to cut back on sugar and "bad" carbs, but don't forget to keep eating "good" carbs. The whole low-carb thing is pretty much a hoax, if you ask me. Yes, you will probably lose weight initially, but I honestly don't think it is a healthy way of eating for life. If it's any proof, Atkins just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy - apparently people are starting to get a clue!

Good luck!!

Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
OH, absolutely! You can have sugar withdrawals just like you can have withdrawals from cigarettes, alcohol, or even caffeine! I'm sure you've heard of coffee drinkers getting a headach when trying to kick their caffeine habit.?..?..?

It's great that you are trying to cut back on sugar and "bad" carbs, but don't forget to keep eating "good" carbs. The whole low-carb thing is pretty much a hoax, if you ask me. Yes, you will probably lose weight initially, but I honestly don't think it is a healthy way of eating for life. If it's any proof, Atkins just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy - apparently people are starting to get a clue!

Good luck!!

I seriously disagree but then again I have been eating this way for over a year now.I have researched this and I live it. First off "Low carbs" are not NO carbs. Just not eating certain carbs that are bad for you. An example is white things, like sugar, rice, potatoes, flour, white bread etc. But veges are wonderful good carbs and no one who does low carb right limits these. As for Atkins filing bankruptcy. Do you realize the "Atkins Company" is just a company with his name on it. Dr. Atkins was a huge advocate of eating healthy non-processed foods. The Atkins company mass produced many processed foods he would never have approved of. Plus they over priced themselves. It does not reflect on this "Way of eating" that has been around over 30 years. It does work. I know people who have been on this WOE for over 15 years and never gained a pound back. You must be diligent but you can do this. I haven't eaten high carbs for over a year and do not miss them ONE bit. I have lost from 150 to 107 and feel wonderful. Before I began this WOE (way of eating) I ate fast food and rarely had veges and did not eat healthy at all. Now I eat non-processed foods (Eating all meat is a misnomer about low carbing) This cannot be deamed a "diet" as if you eat this way just to lose weight and do not change your eating habits as with any "diet" it will fail if you stop and go back to your bad habits. Also mine and my DH cholesterol is amazing and so is our blood sugar levels and blood pressure. I am 46 years old and my DH is 50 and he went from 270 to 200 during this same time. We are a team.

Last edited by anitak1982; 08-02-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
(female)

Jennihul HB User

Think about how difficult it must be for the body to convert from using sugar as it's main fuel to using fat as it's fuel. That's why you get a headache and a weak feeling. It's a huge adjustment but a healthy one. It's bascially withdrawal from a "drug." The reason why the body even stores fat in the first place, is to use it as fuel. My symptoms pass in four days at the most when I start low carb.

There isn't a diet on earth that has taken more crap than Dr Atkins and his low carb diet. Even the Grapefruit diet, for god's sake, got more good press.

There is nothing "hoaxy" about reducing carbohydrates in your diet. Diabetes is a huge epidemic and the body basically just gives up on providing gobs and gobs of insulin to convert the average person's daily carbo feast into useable energy. I mean the food pyramid that was JUST recently tossed out wanted you to have ELEVEN servings of bread! In one day! Who does that benefit? Grain growers, maybe. Three people that I personally know, four if you count an online friend, have been diagnosed with Type II diabetes in the last 12 months.

If the average person's breakfast is toast, eggs and bacon, why would eliminating the toast be "dangerous?" If the average person has a sandwich of turkey, swiss and some soup for lunch, what is "unhealthy" about not having the bread? If you have chicken, potato and veggies for dinner, why is it not wise to skip the potato and double up on the veggy? There is no person on earth that can't survive without bread, without potatoes, without rice. ALL of the nutrients in these foods are found, in higher amounts, in other foods. Humans have no innate need for grains or sugar or potatoes or corn.

The body converts protein and fat into glucose as it needs to. If that wasn't the case, everyone who has ever tried a low carb diet would be dead in a couple days when their liver stores of glucose were used up.

The concept of "good" carbs is whatever you make it. People do just as well with nary a carb as with so called good carbs. The only benefit is slightly higher fiber intake. Since fiber is insoluable, meaning it passes through you unchanged, and contains no nutrients, it's moot where it comes from. I get mine on my Atkins diet from the metamucil bottle once a day.

Low carb is NOT a high fat diet unless you choose high fat items consistantly. Low carb isn't even high protein unless you make it that way. Low carb is just low carb. People need to stop labeling this diet as harmful.

The reason why the Atkins food group has filed for bankruptcy is because they were hoping that their pre-packaged foods would become a new staple in the American diet. Anyone who has seriously tried to lose weight on a low carb diet will attest: if you eat too many of those products, it will stunt your weight loss. Plus they have too much soy and taste like they have too much soy. I call it "health food store" flavor. The sugar alcohols mess with digestion and cause gas, bloating and diarrhea. In fact, Dr Atkins, when he was alive, was not a huge proponent of people relying heavily on those products. It was only after his death that they went crazy with those offerings. Cha-*****. This has absolutely no bearing on the basic diet itself which has saved hundreds of thousands of lives in the last 30 years.

Any diet can be bad for you if you make poor choices in the realm of what is allowed on that diet. Atkins is no different. If you choose bacon and eggs, your health will reflect your choices, although you can still lose weight. But people have their stomachs stapled! Their nutritional intake FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES is going to be poor! That's acceptable and Atkins isn't? It just makes no sense. And to me, when things just don't add up, there are usually unfounded baises involved.

Jennifer

Old 08-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Jennifer, probably the most wonderful post I have ever read in explaining low carb.

I am impressed. I bow to your wisdom my friend.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #12

cokids HB User

Yes, you can experience withdrawal from carbohydrates. I did the SBD about a year ago and thought I'd die during the first two weeks! The first four or five days I felt SICK!...weak and dizzy, but it passed and I successfully finished the weeks. I stayed religiously on the diet til early this summer. I have taken a 'vacation' from it cause I wasn't losing any more weight. I maintained over the winter, but lost not an ounce more!! It was very frightening. I thought I had ratcheted my metabolism down a notch and would gain more easily than ever. Well, I've 'cheated' adding some white carbs, but haven't gained the weight back...yet.

I went on the diet more for cholesterol control than weight control though. That appeared to work. My high numbers normalized on the diet. I also took the infamous 'policosanol' so I am not sure if the diet or the supplement is responsible for the cholesterol reduction. Good news anyway.

I'll go back to the strict diet one day soon...no more white carbs for me! I must get my cholesterol tested again too. It's been almost a year!!

Old 08-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

ive been on the low carb for 2 weeks now. I too felt the dizzyness, and kinda nauseated from time to time. But on a brighter note I have lost about 8lbs, im sure it would be more if I was doing some cardio and other forms of exercise but it has been successful, it's not has hard to say no to a cookie or a sandwich.

I did go to walmart and piled up on atkins bars and what not. Some having only 2 or 3net carbs for one of them. They are actually pretty good, i prefer the chocolate peanut butter and cookies and cream, there are a few others I have yet to try. But they fix my sweet tooth when i want something along the lines of sweets...

so no, I do not think it's a hoax, it has proved to do wonders for many a people and this is the first diet i have lasted this long on!

Old 08-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #14
(male)

D@N HB User

I've been low carbing for 2 years now. I was 35 years old when I started and I wished I had known about it sooner. It wasn't hard for me to NOT eat the foods, but the side effects of not having them was. The fountain coca colas always made me feel like crap, the french fries always gave me a stomach ache, but when I eliminate them, I felt great after eating. My side effects were mostly limited to being grumpy and feeling lethargic. My biggest intake of carbs was from beer. My second biggest was McDonalds value meals with burgers and cokes. My success was in changing to Michelob Ultra for beer, and to battle the McDonalds weight, I ordered Double meat patty sandwiches, and just ate the meat and veggies on the burger. Dont get the meal deal. It comes with Fries and you will be too tempted to eat them.
After going hardball on this diet for a year, I went from 220lbs to 165. I am a 5'6 tall male with a stocky build from doing alot of weightlifting in highschool. When those pounds went away, my old highschool frame came back, and so did the women! It has been great ever since. Now that I know what foods cause me problems I can steer away from them, or eat them with extreme caution.
After I dropped 60 pounds I had the luxury of cheating in small amounts. The weight gain was about 8lbs after about 6 months of eating some bread or rice here and there. The good thing is, that I can drop that 10lbs in 10 days by going back to my strict routine. So now I have control over my weight and the withdrawals were very well worth it.
For all those Anxiety sufferers out there, let me say that I used to be a panic attack GOD. I always thought I was having heart attacks or fears of dying. Since I dropped the weight, I no longer have those Anxiety attacks, and my head is more clear now, then ever.
It really makes me think of all those kids on anti-depressants today. I am really convinced that a simple change in diet will cure almost any A.D.D. issue. Those kids are suffering from dietary problems. Their body's dont handle Glucose like all those skinny kids.
Atkins may be bankrupt, but my body is still an asset to that company.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #15

inloveJAA HB User

Some people digest carbs very differently as well....Being reactive-hypoglycemic, instead of giving me energy, carbs immediately make me tired and dowsy like I have just been drugged. my body takes most carbs I eat and sends it straight to my fat cells!!! When I go on low carb, I never feel those symptoms...if anything, I feel like I have ten times more energy. It all depends on your body type....if you are able to consume more carbs then do so, but everyone has different circumstances. The point is, the diet is not a bad diet. No one is going to die from not eating some bread...

Closed Thread