It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2001, 11:20 PM   #1

theliquidsword HB User
Question When do you take a protein shake?

I have just started working out and trying to get in shape. Do you take a protein shake before or after you work out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2001, 05:23 PM   #2
Inactive

snailmailqueen HB User
hi,

i dont think it matters. i use 1 at lunch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2001, 07:33 PM   #3

Kennedy HB User
Thats right... it should ALWAYS be after a workout NEVER before, atc least thats what my step brother says and he's a trainer at Golds gym and my hubby asked him the same question . Your body needs it after to rejuvenate.

Old 02-04-2001, 05:28 AM   #4
Inactive

XRated|Fry HB User
df

Old 02-04-2001, 05:29 AM   #5
Inactive

XRated|Fry HB User
Are you sure your meant to take it after? Because i was reading another post where someone else said you must take it before.. and that it was helping him gain the extra weight he/she wanted

Old 02-07-2001, 10:15 AM   #6

Kennedy HB User
Most people working out don't take it to gain weight.They take it after a workout to rejuvenate and repair which is what is needed. Your body needs protein after a strenuous workout. If you are only taking it to gain weight, you would be drinking more than one before a workout during the day.You would probably have to drink it whenever you want to. I was talking about repairing your muscles. I have asked 2 people again since then and they both work at golds gym, my bro and his girlfriend both trainers and both have trained my husband and they both said AFTER a workout if you want the benefits of it.

Old 02-12-2001, 12:43 PM   #7

Kevin9870 HB User
Try taking your drink 30 minutes before you work out, it helps get the protein throughout your body, als you could take one after too, this helps build muscle

Old 02-16-2001, 10:15 AM   #8

Starbuck HB User
Cool

The Right Answer: If you're trying to maximize muscle growth, (which you are if you are lifting), then you should consume your protein shake within an hour of working out. If you really want to maximize your gains, drink a glass of fruit juice along with it. Or just drink a meal replacement after your workout. There's about a 30-20min window after an intense workout where your body is primed to absorb the protein, and it needs to replenish it's muscle glycogen stores, (hence the fruit juice).

It would be smart to drink at least two protein shakes per day.

Old 02-16-2001, 10:16 AM   #9

Starbuck HB User
Wink

Correction: I meant 30-60min window after working out. If you are trying to lose bodyfat as well, then drink it 1 hour after working out.

Closed Thread