It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2001, 11:11 AM   #1

steph70 HB User
Post Low Carb side dishes, and how to cook zucchini

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but if not, I don't know where to, so...here I am *S* I'm looking for suggestions on low carb/no carb side dishes to go with meals, and also on good ways to cook zucchini. I have a soup recipe that has zucchini...just add it the last couple minutes because I like it firm. Also have shredded it for wraps and such when I didn't have lettuce...just for the crunch. What else can you do with zucchini though? Thinking maybe bake it, but...dunno 'bout that.
Also, we're primarily meat eaters here for supper...beef, but these days mainly pork and chicken. My dilema comes with what to serve with it though. I realized a few days ago that I'm almost always serving carbs. At least...I'm assuming anything with a fair amount of starch is a carb. Usually do Lipton pasta side dishes, rice, potatoes. I'm doing okay cutting back on my bread products since I've started having cereal for breakfast instead of sandwiches, but don't know what to do about supper.
Also, while I'm thinking of it, can someone tell me what the higher carb foods are. Like I said, I know/assume bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. Are there other high carb foods I should be looking out for? I'm not looking to cut carbs out of my diet totally, but I think it would be a good idea for me to cut back a bit at least for a while. My theory is that the more carbs we eat that we don't use during that day are just contributing to the fat build up, and I've got quite enough of that thank you very much
Thanks for the help *S*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2001, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Smile

Steph, here is the way I fix zucchini. I slice in into about a quarter inch to half inch thick slices or wedges depending on the size of the zuc, put it on my steamer basket in my pressure cooker, put about a half cup of water in there, put the heat on medium high, and continue heating until the valve starts to jiggle then I take it off the heat (just basically steaming it). You can adjust the steam time to suit your tastes as far as firmness goes. I then melt some real butter and pour it over the steamed zucchini after I have put it in a bowl and add a little salt. Low carb, good for you, and good eatiní.

Higher carb foods are obviously any type of sugar, including many types of fruit (bananas are some of the highest in carbs) and just about anything made from some type of grain (wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice, corn, etc.). Were talking about bread, cakes, cookies, pasta, cereal, pizza, chips, rice dishes, and numerous other prepackaged products. Vegetables that grow below the ground are also typically fairly high in carbs (potatoes and carrots come to mind). Itís strange, but a sweet potato has fewer digestible carbs than a white potato (the sweet tater has more fiber). If in doubt about the carb content, read the nutrition label or in many grocery store produce sections they have nutrition labels on the bins for the fresh produce.

Alan

Old 05-12-2001, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
There are lots of sites that have recipes. Check the vegetable sections - just about anything goes except roots vegetables, artichokes, avocados, squash, peas, corns, and a few others I am sure I have forgotten.

If you are not so concerned about fat intake, a cream sauce or cheese sauce could be low-carb. Otherwise, there are lots of recipes using just herbs, scallions, garlic, etc., for flavoring - or that could be modified to fit the bill.

Many people use cauliflower mashed up and seasoned to imitate mashed potatoes.

There are many possibilities.

Closed Thread