It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2001, 02:58 PM   #1

kmn HB User
Wink carb confusion

Can someone explain to me about carbs? I know sugar carbs are bad, I'm not sure exactly why tho. Also, aren't carbs a good fuel for exercise?

Old 05-25-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by kmn:
Can someone explain to me about carbs? I know sugar carbs are bad, I'm not sure exactly why tho. Also, aren't carbs a good fuel for exercise?
Hi kmn, below is an excerpt from an article I wrote. I hope it answers your questions:

>>"....There are actually two types of carbohydrates - complex and simple carbohydrates. It is true, if you eliminate all simple carbohydrates from the diet, better health and weight loss will result. But, it is the complex carbohydrates that will keep your body going.

Simple carbohydrates are those that immediately raise the level of sugar within the blood. Sources of simple carbohydrates include ANY processed, packaged, non-meat foods. Examples: white bread, pasta, candy, cookies, box-mix potatoes & pasta, white rice, and all the foods I listed earlier. These are so devitalized of any natural nutrients as to make them equivalent to eating straight sugar! We eat it, our blood sugar increases right away, we feel satisfied and energized, or surprisingly sleepy.

This sugar rush throws several of our internal systems into absolute chaos. These systems 'see-saw' back and forth trying to accommodate this onslaught, and are rarely successful at doing so. If continued, this 'see-saw' mechanism leads to a number of inner-system failures. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but it is a definite fact that health issues WILL arise for those who continue to eat this way.

What is the solution? Complex carbohydrates. These are the whole foods our bodies are designed to utilize. Examples: fresh vegetables, fruits, grains (whole!), legumes (beans), nuts, seeds, roots - ANY plant WHOLE food is a complex carbohydrate, some may also contain fats and proteins.

These are perfectly compatible with our inner workings. Our bodies are designed to assimilate and use these foods. These foods still turn into sugar in our bodies. This is good, as this sugar fuels us.

The BIG difference is the operative phrase: 'turn into sugar'. This means that our bodies are able to go through a process to convert these foods to the needed sugars. It does not happen immediately, as with straight sugar or simple carbohydrates. Instead the body goes through a series of activities during conversion to allow these sugars to be absorbed at a NATURAL rate - sort of like a time release capsule.

This activity provides a sustained release of sugar into the blood, which maintains a consistent level of energy, not just spurts and crashes. Thus, complex carbohydrates are less likely to produce an over abundance of blood sugar - as do the simple carbohydrates...."<<

hope this helps
------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

[This message has been edited by Copper (edited 05-25-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2001, 04:09 PM   #3

kmn HB User
Thanks. The stuff about the atkins diet confused me . I like pasta and bread, and of course sugar, so I don't know how strict I could be about carbs. Does anyone else ever think that it's very hard to eat the way we "should"? Yes they have lower fat versions now, but if you want to get really healthy, for me that means a half an hour drive to a health food store that carries whole grain, and brown rice, and non dairy stuff. Sometimes it's just like f*** it, it's too much trouble .

Closed Thread