It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2001, 05:17 PM   #1

Emilia HB User
Post Fat in a diet

I've read a lot about nutrition and have gone to many websites, they all say that your calories from fat should not account to more than 30% of your overall caloric intake for the day...but I was wondering if anyone knew what is the minimum percent one should have? I know that before when I was anorexic, I consumed almost no fat and lost my period. Now that I have put on some weight, my period has finally come back, but it is very irregular. I would like to count my fat grams to make sure I have enough to have my period. My mother says I care too much about calories and fat grams and I shouldn't spend so much time with my calculator..if I just eat normally she says everything will be fine. But I am so scared when I don't know atleast about how many cal/fat is in something! Yesterday for my aunt's birthday we went to a steak house, and I ordered a petite filet mignon..but i'm sure they used oil to cook it, so I had no idea how much I should count that as..so that's all I ate, even though I was starving later, I was afraid to eat anything else, because what if I ate over my daily number of calories? I'm scared that when I go off to college I'll go back to my old ways or lose a lot of weight out of fear to eat any of the cafeteria food.
Emilia

Old 05-28-2001, 11:17 PM   #2

LilBear21 HB User
Going away to college and eating there can be a real challenge. Depending on where you go, lots of schools have gotten on the nutrition band-wagon. Well, at least around here (California) they have, and you can access the nutritional info on cafeteria food. My school passes out a little book with calories and all that stuff. You might also be able to ask them, and see if that information is available.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2001, 11:20 PM   #3

Emilia HB User
Wow, really? You know anything about east coast schools? Thats great...I just hope I can ask inconspicuously...well I feel better about this now...thank you
Emilia

Old 05-30-2001, 12:45 PM   #4

Emilia HB User
Post Fat in a diet

hey everyone, i posted this message in another board, but i think i can get a better answer here. i was wondering about daily fat grams. i know that you are allowed 30% calories (max) from fat daily, but what is the minimum percent you can have to stay healthy? i used to be anorexic and i consumed too litte fat...and lost my period. but now i've gained more weight and my period is irregular...i guess i'm just worried that i will not have enough fat in my diet to maintain a normal period. everyday i try to consume atleast 50 grams of fat...but that seems like a lot. so if anyone knows what is the least amount of fat a healthy person can consume each day please tell me. i am 18 years old and 120 lbs 5'5'' thanks,
Emilia

Old 05-30-2001, 03:27 PM   #5

Shane HB User
I would think 20% would be the minimum, though I wouldn't recommend it. You're better off shooting for 25-30%, which would break down as follows:

1500 calorie diet: 42-50 grams
2000 calorie diet: 55-67 grams
2500 calorie diet: 69-83 grams

Old 05-30-2001, 07:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
It's the quality of the fat that is in your diet that is more important than the quantity.

Avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils like those found in margarine, shortening, and many processed foods due to the trans fatty acids (linked to cancer and heart disease). Highly polyunsaturated fats like corn and soybean oil should be minimized due to their unstable nature and tendency to oxidize, especially when heated.

There are two essential fatty acids, Omega 3 and Omega 6 that are required to be gotten in your diet. Most people get too little Omega 3 oils and most get too much Omega 6. Cold water fish is an excellent source of Omega 3 fats.

Monunstaturated fat like that in olive oil is good as well as natural animal fats like that found in butter and eggs and meats. Coconut oil is another highly stable oil that is good for cooking because it doesn't oxidize as easily when heated.

If you eat the right type of fats, the amount you eat doesn't really make that much difference as long as you get enough of it.

Alan

Old 05-30-2001, 08:04 PM   #7

Emilia HB User
Thanks to everyone that replied. Your information was very helpful...I'm going to try to not let my fat intake fall below 25% and I'm going to eat healthier fats like in nuts, avacados, and fish. Thanks
Emilia

Closed Thread