It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2001, 07:59 PM   #1

Cinster HB User
Unhappy First time here and I feel so lost ...

Hello
I have come to the end of my rope...
I have tried so many diets....
The best one I do have to say is WW but it cost so much to see that the scales (MIGHT) have moved a little bit..
I dont know what to do now..
I have high cholesterol and I am only 34
I have had this problem off and on since I was 16 when I was very skinny so it's not because of my weight...
I am 5/6
204 lbs
and very unhappy with the way I feel every morning...
About 5 years ago I lost 45 lbs and was feeling so good about myself then well I found the internet and spent all my time here instead of going out for my walks at night..
Well that was 4 years ago and I dont bother with the internet as much anymore
Maybe a hour a night when I get home from work but I dont find that I have the will power anymore to lose weight...
So I was hoping that maybe someone out there could help me down the right road

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2001, 08:38 PM   #2

mars HB User
I know exactly what you mean by not having the will power to lose weight. I feel the exact same way. I have tried so many diets/exercise...only to find myself gaining twice as much weight after I got tired of doing the same thing over and over. Everyone kept telling me to diet, cut my food, exercise like crazy, etc. But I realized that it wasn't me. I wasn't the type to do that...and plus, I LOVE my food. However, I was starting to hate the way I looked. So, I decided to lose weight...my way - slow, easy and fun.

But before I started all this, the first thing I needed to change, the most important thing, was my attitude. The truth is, the only way who change you...is you. If you want to feel happy with yourself, you have to make the promise to yourself that you will do what it takes to make you happy...and you deserve to be happy.

Don't go crazy trying to lose all the weight at once because the minute you move away from that "program" you gain the weight twice as fast (trust me, I know...been there, done that!! ) I decided that the best way is to start slow.
  • First, start drinking LOTS of water.
  • Secondly, don't go crazy and cut out all the sweets and foods you love, but cut down on the amounts that you eat. If you have a craving for a chocolate bar, have a chocolate bar. But, don't have any more than the one. Drink lots of water to fill you up after.
  • Third, cut down on caffeine. It dehydrates you.
  • Fourth, eat more frequently during the day, but have smaller, healthier meals. It keeps your metabolism going during the day.
  • Fifth, WATER, WATER, WATER!!!

As for the exercise bit, well, I could NEVER stick to a program. But I realized it wasn't the exercising, it was doing the same thing over and over. I used to go to the gym and do different exercises there but I realized that it too got boring. So, I started walking. The key to walking, is making it fun and interesting...not making it like exercise. Bring a friend, take walks to the mall, THROUGH the mall (have to do the window shopping bit ). It's great having a friend to talk to when walking. It passes the time really quickly, you have someone to talk to, and it becomes fun!! Find a few different things that you like to do...sometimes I'll surf the Internet while standing and lifting each leg (like in a march). That way, it keeps me "active." Try stretching while watching TV. The key to the exercise part, is to find something that YOU like...something that YOU want to do.

Don't get discouraged. I know it seems tough, but you can do it. The first thing you have to do is set your mind to it. Don't start doing things too drastically...you'll get discouraged more easily. Start slow. It may take a while, but at least you're doing something about it.

Well, after all this rambling on, I hope some of it will help!! Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2001, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Question

mars, how long have you been doing what you've described and what kind of success have you had?

Alan

Old 05-23-2001, 08:36 AM   #4

mars HB User
Hi Alan!

Well, first of all, I don't measure how much weight I've lost by weighing myself on the scale. Two reasons: 1) It puts me down when I see that I haven't lost any weight and 2) I realized that muscle weighs more than fat...so although you may not be losing weight (according to the scale), you may be toning up.

I used to weigh 175 lbs at the beginning of the year (I'm only 5'3). The last time I weighed myself (about a month and a half ago, I was 168). I have gone from a size 16 to 13/14 (and sometimes 12 depending on the make of the clothing). Many people think I have lost A LOT of weight, but I don't think so. What I've noticed more is that I have definitely toned in certain areas...which many people attribute to weight loss. I'm trying to find other ways to tone up areas that I don't work on as much...mainly tummy and arms.

I know it's a slow process, but I think it's better to start slow and work your way to a goal that you can stick with. I don't know if it's for everyone, but it's definitely worked for me! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

Old 05-23-2001, 05:13 PM   #5
Inactive

sunshine24 HB User
Wink

Hey mars,
I want you to know that your message really encouraged me I am 5'2" and 175lbs.I have been very discouraged about it lately.are you on any dietary suppliments?Please keep encouraging people the you did for me today!
THANKS!

------------------
sunshine

Old 05-24-2001, 10:38 AM   #6

mars HB User
sunshine24: I'm glad I could help. I know what it feels like when it seems as if there's no hope. It makes it even worse when you start to feel better because you go on one of those crazy diet/exercise programs only to find that the minute you let it go, you gain back twice as much. I just couldn't see myself doing that for the rest of my life...going back and forth OR sticking with a crazy diet/exercise program. This one I'm on is MUCH better.

To answer your question, no, I'm not on any dietary supplements. I've tried them in the past, but they don't seem to sit well with my insides. I'm not sure why. So, I stopped.

I'm glad that I could help someone. That makes me feel really good too!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

Take care and remember to have FUN!!

Old 05-31-2001, 09:08 AM   #7

KatyeKat HB User
Thumbs up

Mars,
Your message was so inspiring and true. I don't believe in diets, pills or any of that. Just try to change your lifestyle and eating habits little by little and don't deprive yourself lust cut back. I tried it and it works. I know that alot of people will draw stregnth to try again with your words. We all need support and encouragement at this time of what the world sees as beauty, skinny little barbie dolls,,, and then there are the rest of us... real people, different sizes and who are all worth living, loving and being good humans. Keep up the good work. Good luck to all...

Old 05-31-2001, 01:02 PM   #8

workinggirl HB User
Mars, sounds good to me, I also am 5'2 and weight 138. now before you say that is no problem... I feel just as bad as if I were 175. why do we feel so bad about ourselves? I am so upset that I am back in size 8!!!!! Goodluck to you and I am still trying to loose another 10 pounds, but doubt if it goes anywhere..

Old 06-01-2001, 01:22 PM   #9

mars HB User
Wink

workinggirl: Wow...I can't remember when I was 138....nope...I think I just skipped that phase...and went right on up!!! Oh well!!!

Well, good luck to you in losing 10 pounds. Don't give up. And remember that if you're working out to try to lose the weight, all the fat turns to muscle which is greater in mass. So, it may not seem like you have lost 10 pounds, when really, you may have lost more.

Good luck to everyone in their weight loss!!

Closed Thread