It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2001, 01:55 AM   #1

Bayne HB User
Post A simple request -

Good morning - I always check fiber content, and since I "cook from scratch", add as much fiber as I think the recipe can manage. Thus said, I'm still having a difficult time trying to up my daily fiber.....everything I read says fresh fruit & veg., but gee, a whole apple only has about 2.7 (1.0 insouble), Broccoli around 3 for a whole cup! The best deal I've found is a cup of old fashion, cooked oatmeal with 4 gms.....my simple question is this - do all of you get the recommended 20 gms or more a day (by actual count) and if so, HOW??? TIA for your comments. Cheers, Bayne

Old 06-03-2001, 05:21 AM   #2
rosarobin

It seems like a lot of effort to me, and the different size, portions, etc. make it difficult to be accurate. I just eat everything (fruits and veggies) in its most natural state, unprocessed, and don't worry about it!! I already eliminated sugar, dairy, wheat, hydrogenated fat and meat from my diet so the natural fiber is there in the fruits & veggies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2001, 06:39 AM   #3

Bayne HB User
Yep, I'm for unprocessed, near to natural as possible. I've also cut out the sugar, dairy, fats, (not quite all the meat, yet) so I'm left with mostly fruits & veggies. I had assumed I was getting plenty of fiber until I decided to keep track for a couple of days....boy was I wrong. The grams just don't add up, hence the query. Thanks, Bayne

Old 06-04-2001, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I have been working at increasing the amount of fiber I consume since I had some digestive disorders last year, and I know what you mean - it's not so simple to consume 20 grams a day consistently.

I have vegetables at just about every meal - and eat a minimum of 4 cups a day. Some of my fiber comes from fruits (thank goodness berry season is starting - they are relatively high in fiber). And some from legumes or grains (but I find with myself there are limits to how much of them I can eat). Even at that, usually I work in a tablespoon of bran into something I'm eating once a day.

Keeping up 4 cups of veggies a day is nearly impossible when you travel (which I don't have to do too often), but when I do and take fiber supplements, it just isn't the same as getting it from your food.

Good luck!

Closed Thread