It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2001, 01:21 AM   #1

kmn HB User
Question white bread

Is wheat really better? I know it has the grains, but does it spike your blood sugar the same way? It's one of my favorite things (french bread) but I hear it's really bad for you so.....Any info appreciated.

Old 05-08-2001, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
White flour is wheat flour and is often referred to as enriched wheat flour on ingredient lists. I assume what the original question was referring to was whole wheat flour. But even most products made with whole wheat flour only have about 50% or so of it in there with the rest being white enriched flour (most people don't like truely whole wheat products).

Back to the issue of fiber. I have a bag of stone ground whole wheat flour here. 22 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber per serving (<1/4 cup). I also have a bag of all-purpose white flour. 23 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber per serving. Doesn't appear to be much difference between the two with regard to carbohdyrate or fiber content. Whole wheat is just the lesser of two poor choices in my opinion. And it's the same with brown rice vs. white rice with about 33 grams of carb and 1-3 grams of fiber per serving for each. All you have to do is read the nutrition labels. If you are looking for fiber, you need to be looking somewhere other than grains, like green leafy vegetables and such.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2001, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

If any of you truly want the best whole wheat, buy wheat berry seeds and grind them up into flour, like I do. That is true whole wheat flour. This natural fluor starts to lose its nutritional benefits in about a day after you grind up the wheat berries, so you don't want to store them in this ground-up state for long.

There's more to this "real" whole wheat then just fiber, there's lots more vitamins. That's why they must enrich white flour, because the vitamins have been stripped away when it's processed. I don't remember all the details right now, but if you all do some research on it, I would think that some of you would be greatly surprised. White flour, by the way, is supposed to be more stable, but the nutritional benefits are much less.

Basically you can say the same for brown rice versus white rice. White rice is just processed brown rice, which again is a very poor substitute. In other words, if you are looking for nutritional value, always eat brown rice instead of white rice.

Old 05-08-2001, 08:20 PM   #4

kmn HB User
I'm not worried about the vitamins or fiber. I was just under the impression that white bread is BAD for you, like greasy french fries or something.

Old 05-08-2001, 09:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Exclamation

White bread is bad because it causes a quick rise in your bloodsugar (glucose) that results in your pancreas releasing a load of the hormone insulin to get it back down.

Chronic high insulin levels lead to a host of problems: elevated cholesterol and triglycerides, high blood pressure, insulin resistance, weight gain, Type II diabetes, atherosclerosis, arterosclerosis, and heart disease. Not to mention that cancer cells require glucose to survive and grow, so the more glucose you have in your blood the better any potential cancer cells are fed.

Alan

Old 05-10-2001, 05:25 PM   #6

Mich HB User
My opinion: white flour is worthless, empty calories. If you want to gain weight: eat up. If you want to lose weight: AVOID. I'm speaking from experience!

Old 05-10-2001, 05:38 PM   #7

Mich HB User
I'm sorry, I think I've missed the point...whole wheat vs. white flour... I get it now. My opinion...you can't go wrong sticking to what nature has provided...stay as close to foods in their natural state. It's apparent that when we stray towards processed and "enriched" foods such as white bread, that our bodies suffer. Enriched is a bogus word, basically it means stripped of nature's vitamins and enhanced with cheesy fillers.

Old 05-16-2001, 09:40 AM   #8

kmn HB User
Ok, so the wheat bread WON'T spike your blood sugar? So it's ok to eat wheat bread, as in it's carbs aren't bad? Or should I just avoid all bread/pasta?? I doubt I'll do that but...

Old 05-16-2001, 04:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by kmn:
Ok, so the wheat bread WON'T spike your blood sugar? So it's ok to eat wheat bread, as in it's carbs aren't bad?
No true. Wheat bread is just not as bad as white bread. And wheat bread varies. Some hardly contain any whole wheat flour, while other varities contain a much higher percentage (usually the darker it is, the more whole wheat). Most whole wheat bread has enriched wheat flour (white flour) as the number one ingredient, with whole wheat flour farther down the ingredient list (if enriched wheat flour is higher on the list than whole wheat flour, then you are guaranteed that there is less than 50% whole wheat flour in there). Just read the labels and look at the nutrition label. Fewer total carbohydrates and more fiber is better.

Alan

Old 05-16-2001, 05:09 PM   #10

Mich HB User
Wink

Rule of Thumb: AVOID white flour products and sugar products...they are empty, fattening calories. You can easily eat them, and ,yes, they'll hold you over, but eventually your body will crave the nutrients it needs. You can eat and eat and eat, but your body will STILL crave what it really needs...certain vitamins and minerals.

Think of it this way....your body is crying out for certain nutrients, and it will take them any way it can. Go the long, fattening way...white flour, high sugar, no vitamin, high calorie way...and MAYBE, just maybe, it can get SOMETHING from all this JUNK.

Don't be fooled, because your body isn't. Stick as close as you can to natural food, meaning NO processed foods...that is exactly where we are going wrong today...white flour, sugar, and food additives...they all make are lives more convient, but we are paying the price dearly...overweight and miserable.

Take the much needed effort and and eat more natural...I really believe that such radical diets like Atkins diet and high protein diet came into existence because we as a society have eaten way too many useless calories. It's not hard to figure out that we consume too many empty calories...no matter what we consume...our bodies will still strive to obtain the vitamins we have to have...no matter how many calories get in the way...our body's needs do not stop...so you can see the excess problem here!!

The only logical answer is...feed your body what it needs. Don't fill it with junk, empty calories. Because you know what, it knows better...it just takes the calories and stores them, waiting for nutrients, craving them, making YOU crave more to eat...in the process, making you fatter.

Old 05-16-2001, 05:37 PM   #11

Kennedy HB User
White bread is not bad like french fries.I lost alot of weight eating it everyday.The whole grain bread in a sandwich is all you taste!I might as well have just had bread for lunch and skip the filling.Everyone I know eats white bread and loses weight or maintains or what have you.None of them gain from white bread.Some has alot of calories in it just look on the label and find the right one.Some are just sensitive to it I guess.I've never had a problem.

Old 05-17-2001, 07:30 AM   #12
(male)

redwing HB User
Thumbs up

I agree that consumption of breads should be limited, but a least one piece comes in handy for an egg salad, tuna fish, or natural peanut butter sandwich. Try to avoid breads which have trans fats, which can both aggravate acne and elevate your cholesterol levels. Brownberry has a new trans fat free wheat bread. There are others that use pure cooking oils or are fat free. Some are under 50 calories a slice because of this. You must read the labels to see if the bread contains "partially or fully hydrogenated vegetable oils," which is the bad stuff.

[This message has been edited by redwing (edited 05-18-2001).]

Old 05-25-2001, 01:15 AM   #13

LilBear21 HB User
I hardly ever eat bread, but when I do, I like wheat berry bread. It is high in calories (100 cal a slice), but one slice is really big enough to make a good sandwich, and it has one gram of fat, 4 gm protein, and 2 gm fiber. More than all that though, it is super tasty!!

Old 05-25-2001, 03:24 PM   #14

Aussie Azalea HB User
What about dried fruit? Like raisins, prunes, and fruits that do not have any added sugar. Do these cause a sudden increase? Are the dried friuts just as nutrious as the fresh ones? I know we are on the subject of bread but I would just like to know.

Old 05-26-2001, 09:28 AM   #15

Aussie Azalea HB User
Anyone? Dried Fruit?

Closed Thread