It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2001, 05:36 PM   #1
Inactive

doctordeedge HB User
Post Can someone provide me with a list of drinks and foods that contain aspartame?

Can someone provide me with a list of drinks and foods that contain aspartame?

Is coffee OK?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2001, 10:02 AM   #2

Christopher74 HB User
I hope this helps, but I'll list a few that I know for sure.

Sugar Free Jello
Diet Colas
Some sugar free candy
sugar free popsicles
health drinks (MetRX low carb formula)
Also watch out for some over the counter meds like Lactaid.

There are so many others. I have just come to the conclusion of "if it tastes sweet and claims to be sugar free, then it has some form of artificial sweetner in it."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2001, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Exclamation

That's a good rule of thumb. Unless it specifically states "no aspertame" (which many products are now printing specifically on the labels) assume it is... but always read the labels. I used to laugh at people who spent an hour in the grocery store reading the backs of every product they put in their basket. Now I am among their ranks and glad to be.

If it's any consolation, once you get away from the sweets, you will start to not miss it. I have stayed away from sugar for about a year and had a piece of birthday cake at work and thought I was going to get sick, it was so sweet. I felt like I did when I was 8 after a Halloween binge. You just have to let your body re-adjust. Good luck!

Naxis

P.S. On a related note, whats the story on Splenda. It's not half bad... and it claims to have no ill-effects. It's no good for cooking, but I have used it in oatmeal before and it's pretty yummy. I have my fingers crossed that future testing will say nothing negative... anyone have any additional info?

[This message has been edited by Naxis (edited 06-16-2001).]

Old 06-16-2001, 04:26 PM   #4

Christopher74 HB User
I found this bit of info on it from [url="http://www.sugarbytes.com/Eatbigsweet.htm"]http://www.sugarbytes.com/Eatbigsweet.htm[/url]
They list several types of sugar and artificial sweetners.

SUCRALOSE (SPLENDA®)
Sucralose is the common name for the only calorie-free sweetener created from ordinary sugar. It looks and tastes like sugar, but is not broken down in the body and hence provides no calories. On average, sucralose is about 600 times more sweeter than sugar. Sucralose can be used like sugar in a wide range of foods and beverages due to its sweetness intensity, good water solubility and excellent product stability. Sucralose can be found in baked goods, drinks, frozen desserts, chewing gum, milk products, salad dressings, tabletop sweeteners, and alcoholic beverages.

Sucralose does not build up in the body nor does it promote cavities. Many studies have been done and evaluated on animals and humans over the past two decades and sucralose has been approved for use in Canada since 1991. The ADI of sucralose is 15 mg/kg. SPLENDA is available in two "tabletop" forms: granular and packet. The granular measures, pours and can be used like sugar even in cooking and baking, cup-for -cup. The granular form has 2 calories per teaspoon which are attributable to the carrier, maltodextrin. The packets can be use to sweeten coffee, tea and other beverages and to sprinkle on fruit, cereal and desserts. Each packet contains the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Old 06-17-2001, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Talking

Woah. Thanks for the info!

Naxis

Old 06-17-2001, 02:03 PM   #6

Kennedy HB User
Question

Are you asking because you don't want to drink anything or eat anything in it?If so there is nothing that actually proves it has any bad effects at all.Sugar is worse for you I think seeing as all the bad effects it actually has on some people.Diabetes,weight gain...so on.Just curious.

Some people are just saying its bad because they "heard" it is but the fact is they have no proof.I've looked.Just in case.It just sounded like you were trying not to eat it.

Closed Thread