It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2001, 03:51 PM   #1

Christopher74 HB User
Post More Adkins Questions

I am on a low carb diet, I am not really on any plan. I eat eggs, meats, cheese, and low carb fruits and veggies. One thing I have noticed besides losing 30lbs. now in two months is I use the bathroom a lot less. Is this normal?

Also my cravings haven't totally gone away. At times I just want to scream for a cheeseburger despite eating steak a lot. I have however not missed drinking cokes and eating candy, but pasta and bread products are very much missed. Even a potato looks really good. I have never really craved these things before. I would have expected to be craving sodas and candy, not bread and potatos as I never really consumed those things before.

Also I am very hungry all the time. I could eat a steak with a side of green beans and twenty minutes later I am hungry. As a test I ate a slice of bread with my meal and I felt satisified.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2001, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Eat more healthy fats to curb your appetite and satisfy those cravings.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2001, 02:01 PM   #3
Inactive

Copper HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by arkie6:
Eat more healthy fats to curb your appetite and satisfy those cravings.
Alan
The operative word here being: HEALTHY

this DOES NOT mean eat more cheese, eggs, or meat. Also, potaoes (baked or boiled) and bread (WHOLE grain, only) are NOT going to make you gain the weight back IF you eat them infrequently. Bread is, of course, going to break down to sugars more rapidly than a potato, but still, as compared to processed carbs, these are much slower acting, like a time-release capsule, especially the potato.

One of my favorities is a baked potato, NO BUTTER!, drizzled with olive or hemp oil (rich in omega fatty acids - the GOOD fats), and a sprinkling of sea salt, maybe even some basil. Oh yum!

This analyzes out at: 52% total fat, 4.1% protein, 43.9% complex carbs. The fat breakdown is: 76.6% mono fats (excellent!),
9.1% poly fats, and 14.2% saturated fats.

measured against the daily requirements of 1500-1800 calorie diet:
Calories equal: 240. Fiber = 5%, Vit C = 13%
Vit E = 23%, thiamine = 6%, riboflavin = 4%, niacin = 11%, Vit B6 = 22%, folate = 6%, sodium 9%, magnesium = 8%, potassium = 5%, and iron = 27%. So, these percentages are of the daily need of 100%

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty healthy weight loss meal, and pretty darn satisfying, too.

------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 06-23-2001, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Exclamation

Healthy fats are those found in nature, not those chemically extracted and synthesized seed oils. Things like eggs, meat, dairy, nuts, etc. contain healthy fats. The more saturated the healthier because saturated=stable. Unstable oils like highly polyunsatured vegetable oils tend to oxidize. Monounsatatured fats from olives and avacodos are better than polyunsaturated oils from corn or soybeans or cottonseeds (whoever came up with the idea that cottonseed oil is a food?) because there is only one unsaturated chemical bond for oxygen to attack. It is the damaged lipids from oxidation and hydrogenation that cause the arterial damage, not the stable saturated fats. Shoot, your own body makes saturated fat from excess glucose. Why would your body make something that would harm itself? It's this foreign stuff that we put in our bodies that causes health problems.

And a baked potato is nothing more that pure starch (a polysaccharide or grouping of glucose molecules). A baked potato has a higher glycemic index than white bread (i.e. it raises blood glocose levels higher). On the glycemic index that uses pure glucose=100, white bread is rated 71 and a baked potato is rated 85. Table sugar (sucrose) is only rated 64 on this index (sucrose is a disaccharide consisting of glucose-fructose and fructose has less effect on bloodsugar than glucose). So, you would be better off to take that baked potato, scoop out the middle and fill it up with table sugar because that would have less impact on your bloodsugar than all that starch.

Alan

Old 06-25-2001, 07:24 PM   #5
Inactive

Copper HB User
Quote:
....Why would your body make something that would harm itself?
Are you serious? Our bodies OFTEN make things that aren't good for us - ever heard of yeast? excess neurotransmitters? Not enough neurotransmitters, FAT, the list goes on....

Quote:
Monounsatatured fats from olives and avacodos are better than polyunsaturated oils from corn or soybeans or cottonseeds
I agree with this - cottonseed, corn, coconut, palm, these are all BAD oils. But, what do you think an olive IS? it IS a seed, so is an avocado, flax, walnut, almond, etc.
Yes, oxidation IS a major concern, as is the process of extraction. Cold-pressed and organic are the ONLY way to go with ANY oils.

Quote:
Originally posted by arkie6: So, you would be better off to take that baked potato, scoop out the middle and fill it up with table sugar because that would have less impact on your bloodsugar than all that starch.
)

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif hmmmmmmmm. So let's see now. 1 tablespoon of sugar = 384 calories, and 96 grams of carbohydrates. That's it, nothing else to it, nada.

1 medium baked potato = 145 calories, 33.63 grams carbs, 3.06 grams protein, .59 grams of fiber, 20 mgs. vit C, .16 mgs thiamine, .03 mgs riboflavin, 2.18 mgs niacin, .47 mgs vit B6, 14.20 mcg folate, 8 mg sodium, 8 mg calcium, 39 mg magnesium, 610 mg potassium, .55 iron, and .45 mg zinc.

so, do the math, these two compare, how? granted, potatoes ARE starch, but they are a NATURALLY occuring starch, and broken down to sugar at a MUCH slower rate (which provides a STEADY release of sugar into the blood stream, which = sustained energy, as opposed to a one time sugar blast dumping into the blood like table sugar provides) than table sugar, not to mention the vitamins and minerals in a potato.

I guess it wasn't in this post, but somewhere arkie stated that we don't need carbs AT ALL - Ok, so, I understand that to mean that we DON'T need vegetables and fruits? NOTHING ANYONE can say will convince me of that one! Not yet, anyway. Maybe 10-15 years down the road this will be proven true, and then I'll reconsider. But, I doubt that will EVER be the case.

So, your supposed to fill up on protein and fat, right? And by what process, then, will we eliminate waste from our bodies? That's like saying people can live off a product like Jimmy Dean sausage, and be super healthy! makes NO sense. Your arteries would ABSOLUTELY plug up, as would your entire elimination tract. I know we don't need to agree here, but that's a pretty dangerous prescription to hand out.

jmnsho

------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 06-25-2001, 11:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Copper:
granted, potatoes ARE starch, but they are a NATURALLY occuring starch, and broken down to sugar at a MUCH slower rate than table sugar, .....
Not according to the glycemic index as I previously mentioned. A baked potato will convert to glucose and raise your bloodsugar faster and higher than an equivalent amount of table sugar - glucose = 100 GI, baked potato = 85 GI, table sugar = 64 GI.

Quote:

So, your supposed to fill up on protein and fat, right? And by what process, then, will we eliminate waste from our bodies?
You would eliminate waste just like any other carnivorous animal. Lions, tigers, wolves, etc. don't eat vegetables and fruits and they seem to be able to go #2 ok. And like I previously mentioned, there was those researchers that went for 1 year on a meat only diet. I assume they were able to go to the bathroom in there sometime. Fiber is way overrated in my opinion. The main benefit of a high fiber diet is that it displaces some of the refined carbohydrates in the typical diet.

Quote:

That's like saying people can live off a product like Jimmy Dean sausage, and be super healthy! makes NO sense. Your arteries would ABSOLUTELY plug up, as would your entire elimination tract.
I never mentioned any specific products and tend to shy away from processed foods in general. That pork fat in that sausage is pretty healthy though - 41% saturated fat, 47% monounsaturated, and 12% polyunsaturated. A varied diet of different types of meats, fish, eggs, cheese, etc. would be better for meeting your nutritional needs. There is no connection between natural saturated fats and atherosclerosis (plugged arteries as you refer to it). It is those danged synthetic saturated fats (hydrogenated vegetable oils) that always get grouped in with the natural saturated fats that skew the test results. Did you know that the majority of the fat found in arterial plaque is polyunsaturated fats, not saturated fat? And the main cause of atherosclerosis and arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) is high insulin levels, not those dreaded animal fats (high insulin levels cause the damage to the arterial lining and cholesterol is dispatched to do the repairs).

Quote:

I know we don't need to agree here, but that's a pretty dangerous prescription to hand out.
I wouldn't consider what I recommend a prescription, but it's far better advice for healthy living than what the government recommends in its food pyramid that recommends excessive carbohydrate intake and inadequate protein intake. I do think the pyramid is an accurate symbol for it though since a pyramid is symbolic of a tomb.

Alan

Closed Thread